Author Topic: An Italian wins Car Of The Year, amazing!  (Read 11091 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
An Italian wins Car Of The Year, amazing!
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
Alfa Romeo Giulia was named Motor Trend car of the year! Amazing for an Italian company that came back from the dead.

“There is sorcery in this car,” road test editor Chris Walton says. “The Giulia fills the space vacated by BMW. Yet even at the apex of its reign, a 3 Series never rode this well or cornered with such poise and precision simultaneously.”

Amazing!!!      Can you imagine if they bought Moto Guzzi!!!!!!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: An Italian wins Car Of The Year, amazing!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
I really like the look of the car-but my goodness, the problems they seem to have on test..

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
Nice car but a little small or I am too big....

Mark

Moto

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
I sort of recall that a Guzzi won the cruiser of the year award from Cycle World around the late 1990's. This didn't solve the company's problems in the U.S. I hope Alfa/Fiat can do better.

Moto

P.S. I recently read a review somewhere of the Alfa Stelvio SUV that made me absolutely want to run out and buy one. Maybe the new Alfas really are great!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:57:32 PM by Moto »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
The Chevrolet Vega won Car of the Year in '71, so I don't find that award all that impressive.  :wink:
Charlie

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
Good shot Charlie. And then they died. And few know where they can see one, no. I know a place in ME where a Vega was pushed off a manmade cliff. Rolling sideways over boulders and stopping rubber up left nothing to attract salvager.  R3~

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »

Agreed!  Beautiful design...would like to take one for a ride.  Saw the Giulia and Stelvio side by side here
In Scottsdale.  Very stylish!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
The Chevrolet Vega won Car of the Year in '71, so I don't find that award all that impressive.  :wink:

In 1978 it was the Plymouth Horizon. We had one. It would literally fall apart as you drove down the road. Turn signal lenses fell off, mirrors and sun visors would fall in your lap. Alternator bracket would snap in two........

Pete

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
The worst cars I've ever driven is a new `70 Ford Pinto and a Chevy Vega loaned to us when our `75 Toyota Corona wagon was being repaired after my wife got rear ended.  :rolleyes:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »

Cosworth Vega was a fun car.  The fisher body didn't like the salt that is for sure.  My Dad got 100,000 miles out of his '72 base model commuter before the rust kept it from passing inspection.

I married into an '80 Monza 4 speed.  We kept that car 14 years and only sold it because we found ourselves with 3 vehicles while temporarily assigned to Red River and could only move two to our next location. 

When they put that little 8 in the Skyhawk, now that was a fun car!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
All I can say is that a payment of let`s say 1 Million Shekels, would surely be paid of quickly in revenue from increased sales due to being car of the year.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
Cosworth Vega was a fun car.  The fisher body didn't like the salt that is for sure.  My Dad got 100,000 miles out of his '72 base model commuter before the rust kept it from passing inspection.

I married into an '80 Monza 4 speed.  We kept that car 14 years and only sold it because we found ourselves with 3 vehicles while temporarily assigned to Red River and could only move two to our next location. 

When they put that little 8 in the Skyhawk, now that was a fun car!

On the flip side, my '73 was already a rust bucket in '79, despite the original owner being meticulous in it's care. Head gasket blew at 50k, engine was done shortly afterwards.
Charlie

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
GM could have easily fixed the early Vega problems with decent rustproofing and a sleeved block. The engine warping was solely the result of having a less than 50-50 mix in the antifreeze. A little customer education could have prevented that. GM, like so many others, would rather play the denial card, like Ford with the Pinto gas tanks. For all the trouble, my 72 was one of the most fun cars I've ever had. It was a real handler with a decent set of radials.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
My wife and I test drove the Stelvio and we were both very impressed.
I would buy one.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Lcarlson

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
In 1969 I bought my first brand new car, an Alfa Romeo Berlina 1750 sedan. It wasn’t very good looking, but man, did it drive! Hindsight is undoubtedly deceptive, but to this day it seems like it was the best handling car I ever owned. I’m sure that if I could drive it today as it came out of the showroom, I’d be hugely disappointed. Fortunately, I can’t.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
Not a big surprise given that they ranked it better overall in a head to head with 7 other cars:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/alfa-romeo-giulia-bmw-330i-audi-a4-mercedes-benz-c300-cadillac-ats-jaguar-xe-lexus-is-200t-volvo-s60-comparison/

Alfa makes a fine car even if a press award is meaningless. The above article lays out how the field compares pretty well. I do take it with a grain of salt and I'm gonna buy what I like anyway!

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
In 1978 it was the Plymouth Horizon.
Believe it or not the Wichita PD used them for radar/traffic control cars. The one and only time I ever out ran a cop, was successful and that was on a GS400 :evil:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »
Believe it or not the Wichita PD used them for radar/traffic control cars. The one and only time I ever out ran a cop, was successful and that was on a GS400 :evil:
GliderJohn

The '78 and '79 came with a Volkswagen motor (Rabbit??). It ran pretty well but I doubt would top 100. They had to modify a few parts like the alternator mount (thin stamped steel) to get it to fit in the Horizon.
Its biggest attribute was it a great car in the snow. I think it had a 54-46 front-rear weight bias and was as capable as many 4WDs.

Pete

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »
All I can say is that a payment of let`s say 1 Million Shekels, would surely be paid of quickly in revenue from increased sales due to being car of the year.

Many here may be too young to remember when Motor Trend "sold" the Car of the Year title.   :embarassed:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »
Many here may be too young to remember when Motor Trend "sold" the Car of the Year title.   :embarassed:

Renault Alliance/Encore was car of the year sometime in the 80's.  I purchased an Encore, mostly because I needed a car and the Mazda that I really wanted had a long waiting list.  The first week I owned the car, the starter went and it was all downhill from there. Hands down, it was the worst piece of shyte car I have ever owned.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
Renault Alliance/Encore was car of the year sometime in the 80's.  I purchased an Encore, mostly because I needed a car and the Mazda that I really wanted had a long waiting list.  The first week I owned the car, the starter went and it was all downhill from there. Hands down, it was the worst piece of shyte car I have ever owned.

Did you write this?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2016/08/12/Motor-Trend-owes-me-an-apology
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
I stopped paying attention to the ‘Car of the Year’ award back in about 1990 when they awarded it to the Chevy Caprice. That made me realize the award was for sale as that car clearly wasn’t worthy of an enthusiast award.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
Did you write this?

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2016/08/12/Motor-Trend-owes-me-an-apology

The writer was being polite. The last time I saw that car, which I mostly gave away to one of my employee's, it was in the slow lane on the NJ turnpike with both front fender's flapping from the rusted AMC workmanship. I never had a problem with the underpowered Renault engine, which was made in France but the American workmanship was simply awful, and it was the last USA car I have ever purchased.

"Car and Driver formally apologizes for naming the Renault Alliance to the 1983 10 Best Cars list. For the past 26 years, it�s been gnawing at our collective gut like a shame-induced ulcer. The car was trash. We should have known that back then, and it�s taken us too long to confess our grievous mistake. Let this frank admission be the start of our penance.�
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »

Quote from: PeteS on Today at 07:29:56 AM
The '78 and '79 came with a Volkswagen motor (Rabbit??). It ran pretty well but I doubt would top 100. They had to modify a few parts like the alternator mount (thin stamped steel) to get it to fit in the Horizon.
Its biggest attribute was it a great car in the snow. I think it had a 54-46 front-rear weight bias and was as capable as many 4WDs.

Pete

The engine was a 1.7 l stroked version of the 1.5 l Rabbit engine that was shipped to Chrysler minus manifolds, carbs and timing components. The Chrysler built 2.2 came along in 81. I had both the 80 Omni with the 1.7 and an 81 Charger 2.2. Both very dependable with regular normal maintenance.

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »
The COTY candidates are carefully chosen based on how many advertising dollars the company is willing to spend.  No Ferrari will ever win COTY as they never buy advertising pages.  Has Mercedes ever won?  They have made a big move down market in recent years with minivans and SUVs.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
Didn't the Citroen SM win one year, or was that Car & Driver?

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
No one has reviewed the Alfa and NOT had it break down.  They might not say it in their review, but it did.  Go find ten full length tests on the car and at least six will say it left them stranded. 

The Vega warped head/block issues weren’t solely because of anti freeze.  I had one in high school in the 80’s and replaced at least three.  Vegas were like Chevy Chevettes; 90% of them were already in junk yards by 1985 so even though they were unreliable heaps, parts were inexpensive and plentiful so they were perfect for poor, mechanically inclined high school kids. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
No one has reviewed the Alfa and NOT had it break down.  They might not say it in their review, but it did.  Go find ten full length tests on the car and at least six will say it left them stranded. 

The Vega warped head/block issues weren�t solely because of anti freeze.  I had one in high school in the 80�s and replaced at least three.  Vegas were like Chevy Chevettes; 90% of them were already in junk yards by 1985 so even though they were unreliable heaps, parts were inexpensive and plentiful so they were perfect for poor, mechanically inclined high school kids.

My Dad replaced his Vega with a Chevette for his commuter car.  I think they were the cheapest American cars when he bought them.  They appeared to provide good service as commuter cars.  I have owned some cars that history says weren't great, but I must have been fortunate or take good care of my vehicles.  I had a Vega, Chevy Monza, Hyundai Excel, Ford Aerostar and got great service out of all of them with just routine maintenance care. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »
My Dad replaced his Vega with a Chevette for his commuter car.  I think they were the cheapest American cars when he bought them.

I car pooled with friends in the 70's.  I had a 1963 Nova (10 years old) that was head and tails better then the new Vega and Pinto I pooled in.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here