Author Topic: Royal Enfields  (Read 20359 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Royal Enfields
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
I liked this RE video, my life style......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlMLVRpupo&feature=player_embedded

The young lady riding pillion would sure be sore if they hit a patch of oil.......
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
I liked this RE video, my life style......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlMLVRpupo&feature=player_embedded

Reminds me of when I first started riding in Daytona Beach.  Carefree time for sure!  I'm amazed my bike didn't rust out from being on the beach so much!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »
You're a young, carefree, upwardly-mobile young woman??
I wish!  :thewife:
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:27 PM »
The young lady riding pillion would sure be sore if they hit a patch of oil.......
oh dear, I'm the gut with the surfboard rack. Your imagination has gone astray!
Kirk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:27 PM »

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
Hi all

So I promised a full report so here it is a full month after grounding the INT650 because of cold weather after less than a month of ownership.

Here are a few observations:

The Enfield is sitting on the lift and you walk past it going in and out of the garage. It hasn’t been covered yet as it is a nice machine to look at. Dumb I know

At the 300 mile service every valve had tightened up and the rocker cover and gasket took quite a bit of fiddling to get back in place, the gasket mainly.

The oil was surprisingly dark at 300 miles

It does not seem to use any oil.

It averages about 60 mpg.

The fueling is perfect, no surging, bucking snatching etc. In fact it almost feels analog/carbureted.

The engine is smooth but with enough unobtrusive vibration to let you know it is a motorcycle. It has enough power to have fun on and can run down the freeway at 70-75 mph easily not that I make a habit of that. The heat from the engine is a non issue although most of the riding I’ve done on it was in cool weather, it didn’t melt either when it got caught in a rain storm.

The brakes work very well and seem to match the bike for its power and weight.

It is a very confidence inspiring bike to ride, handles well and carries its weight fairly low especially compared to the Triumph Thunderbird (T3 model, 1996), the handling is neutral yet it can be flicked around in tight turns. Really handles nice. Harris did a great job on the frame.

I have to agree with some that aren’t crazy about the foot peg location or how far out they protrude. I got used to it yet still sometimes when coming to a stop the inside of my leg will hit the peg.

It isn’t a perfect bike and it is built to a price with plastic mud guards, plastic side panels, plastic housing on the clocks and the front and rear turn signals are dreadful in my opinion. They eventually will be switched out when a suitable replacement is found.

The Enfield was ridden 900 miles in less than a month and I’m quite smitten with it, definitely looking forward to a full riding season.

upload

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:57:03 PM by BRG-BIRD »

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2019, 10:55:43 PM »
 IMHO: Everyone should own one, once. Mine had 1600 miles. Make sure you get an electric start model. The 500 is hell to kick unless perfectly tuned. The 350 is about as big as I would want to kick. There is really no point to riding one for real except for nostalgia or if you are riding across a backward 3rd world country and must rely on local mechanics.
but even then, in Kazakhistan or the Congo I would rather keep a Kawasaki 250 under me over any Enfield unless I was trying to be Jack Kerouac.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2019, 05:41:08 AM »
Hi all

So I promised a full report so here it is a full month after grounding the INT650 because of cold weather after less than a month of ownership.

Here are a few observations:

The Enfield is sitting on the lift and you walk past it going in and out of the garage. It hasn’t been covered yet as it is a nice machine to look at. Dumb I know

At the 300 mile service every valve had tightened up and the rocker cover and gasket took quite a bit of fiddling to get back in place, the gasket mainly.

The oil was surprisingly dark at 300 miles

It does not seem to use any oil.

It averages about 60 mpg.

The fueling is perfect, no surging, bucking snatching etc. In fact it almost feels analog/carbureted.

The engine is smooth but with enough unobtrusive vibration to let you know it is a motorcycle. It has enough power to have fun on and can run down the freeway at 70-75 mph easily not that I make a habit of that. The heat from the engine is a non issue although most of the riding I’ve done on it was in cool weather, it didn’t melt either when it got caught in a rain storm.

The brakes work very well and seem to match the bike for its power and weight.

It is a very confidence inspiring bike to ride, handles well and carries its weight fairly low especially compared to the Triumph Thunderbird (T3 model, 1996), the handling is neutral yet it can be flicked around in tight turns. Really handles nice. Harris did a great job on the frame.

I have to agree with some that aren’t crazy about the foot peg location or how far out they protrude. I got used to it yet still sometimes when coming to a stop the inside of my leg will hit the peg.

It isn’t a perfect bike and it is built to a price with plastic mud guards, plastic side panels, plastic housing on the clocks and the front and rear turn signals are dreadful in my opinion. They eventually will be switched out when a suitable replacement is found.

The Enfield was ridden 900 miles in less than a month and I’m quite smitten with it, definitely looking forward to a full riding season.

upload

Thanks!  Easy to see the appeal of this bike.  Especially since, Triumph, Kawasaki's W800, Norton, all seemed to be marketed to a different mindset.

How is the seat?  I think if not up to snuff, the geometry is there to welcome better foam, and if need be, another 1-2" of thickness before the looks are affected much.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2019, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
Thanks!  Easy to see the appeal of this bike.  Especially since, Triumph, Kawasaki's W800, Norton, all seemed to be marketed to a different mindset.

How is the seat?  I think if not up to snuff, the geometry is there to welcome better foam, and if need be, another 1-2" of thickness before the looks are affected much.

The seat. I forgot about the seat. It’s ok and does need some work and may be sent off to Sargent for a refoam this winter.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
Tks for the update, I find it a very nice proper looking motorcycle, classic lines. :thumb:

With the chrome tank it reminds of the old BSA's, I used to marvel at on the Main St strip when I was a young kid.

It would be interesting if you ever had the opportunity to swap rides with someone that had an old BSA, how the old stacks up against the new & vice versa.

Many smooth miles with your new bike.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
40 Million+ views!!!!???? :shocked:

Silly video.  Why the hell would anyone ride their bike through the ocean.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »
40 Million+ views!!!!???? :shocked:

444,000 subscribers. As Mr. Custer said, "There are a *lot* of Indians."  :smiley:
Edit:
Looked at the video and liked the song. I *know* those roads..  :thumb: Well done video, but the girl in shorts gives me the willies..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:55:27 AM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2019, 06:42:03 AM »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
Silly video.  Why the hell would anyone ride their bike through the ocean.

Because it would be fun and looks cool on video.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »
Easy to see the appeal of this bike.  Especially since, Triumph, Kawasaki's W800, Norton, all seemed to be marketed to a different mindset.

Could you elaborate on this statement?  Not sure I understand, since they all fill the same British retro standard niche in the market.

What "mindset" is Royal Enfield's new twin marketed to, versus Triumph and Kawasaki ??  ( I know the Norton is a premium product and priced/marketed as such ).
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
And a Metisse shall lead them!

Well, tickle me carbs and call me a taxi! Turn up your sound and watch the most lovely welds being made....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgJd548SMPc

Small custom British motorcycle frame company,a long history, and now .... new classics to order! Whoo - hoo!

Meanwhile, the Italians have been busy...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:03:50 PM by Penderic »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
Did you build that, Penderic?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »
Nah.
Wish I had!   
What I came up was more like this....  :cry:

:grin:

But I did have a CZ/Jawa 250 MX'r and a new Honda XL 250 that I learned on .... way back when.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here