Author Topic: A small fragment of history.  (Read 6198 times)

Vasco DG

A small fragment of history.
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:18:50 AM »
People may of heard me make refference to a small town called Araluen that we can travel through on the 'Back' road to the South Coast.

On the way back yesterday Jude took this picture of the War Memorial built originally in the nineteen twenties to commemorate  those who lost their lives in WWI it now has additions from all conflicts with the possible exception of Vietnam that Australia has been involved in.

Araluen in tiny, it has a 'Locality' population of under a thousand even now. It's a moving tribute..

Pete

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
Re: A small fragment of history.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:11 AM »
Very nice.  It's interesting that some small towns do some nice things for their servicemen.

I came across this in Weimar, TX.  This wall has the names of everyone from Weimar who served in war time from WW II up through the Persian Gulf War, including Seaman First Class Johnnie David Hutchins who was a Medal of Honor Recipient.

Just out of curiosity Pete, any reason you know of why they would have left off the Vietnam Veterans from the memorial?

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:42:29 AM »
No, they wouldnt of been left off, there just weren't any with the unlucky birthdays from the area, or no voluntary enlistees who died. It's a tiny locality.

Pete

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:02:52 AM »
Lovely looking spot VDG

Is it mainly WWI, II or both?

Not far from me is good one for WWI, of course I'm talking bigger city and only one of many. Glasgow at one time was a lot bigger than now too, population has all but halved

If I'm out and about and the weather is Ok I'll try to pop a few snaps

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:02:52 AM »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:39:42 AM »
 While riding that coast, have you stopped at Portland Australia?  Maybe visited the coastal gun emplacement on the hill above town?
 I once went there with a gun crew from my ship and we fired that big 8 inch monster out over the bay.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »
Respect to the fallen.

That blue sky looks beautiful.

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:05:37 AM »
No, they wouldnt of been left off, there just weren't any with the unlucky birthdays from the area, or no voluntary enlistees who died. It's a tiny locality.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  Yeah, a small town either gets hit big or passed all together it seems.  Good for them.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
People may of heard me make refference to a small town called Araluen that we can travel through on the 'Back' road to the South Coast.

On the way back yesterday Jude took this picture of the War Memorial built originally in the nineteen twenties to commemorate  those who lost their lives in WWI it now has additions from all conflicts with the possible exception of Vietnam that Australia has been involved in.

Araluen in tiny, it has a 'Locality' population of under a thousand even now. It's a moving tribute..

Pete

What I love about this photo is the well worn and worn out old path collapsing from the traffic of decades of visitors to this place of worship of the old diggers , young blokes of 19 or less, who were sent as cannon fodder by the British to  wherever they needed some tough resistance. Sad days remembered.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »
          Yes luthier. They are even watering the pot plants.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:19:25 PM »
Not too far from me is a WWI memorial in the shape of Stonehenge.  On the pillars are listed the names and birthdays of local soldiers killed in the war.  Very sobering to see how young many of the men were in that war.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
If you ever find yourself in Kansas City, visit the WWI National Museum. Incredible, and sobering.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

wildduck

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »
drw916;

I've been to that Stonehenge, very impressive as unlike the original  it is all standing up.

BR,

John

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wa-stonehenge.html

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here