Author Topic: 1930 Henderson KJ Streamliner  (Read 3911 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
1930 Henderson KJ Streamliner
« on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »
Simply marvelous.

http://artblart.com/tag/studebaker/

"With its 1,200-cc, 40-brake horsepower, in-line four-cylinder engine, the 1930 Henderson Model KJ Streamline could exceed 100 mph. In an era when streamlining was used sparingly in motorcycle design, American Orley Ray Courtney’s enclosed bodywork was virtually unknown on production two-wheelers (except for a few racing machines), making the KJ an unusual and beautiful example of Art Deco design.

Courtney believed that the motorcycle industry failed to provide weather protection and luxury for its riders. His radically streamlined KJ body shell was unlike anything ever done on two wheels. The sleek vehicle had a curved, vertical-bar grille, reminiscent of the Chrysler Airflow, and the rear resembled an Auburn boat-tail speedster. The panels were hand-formed of steel with a power hammer.

Stunningly beautiful but impractical and hard to ride, the Streamline’s complex curved body was heavy and was difficult to make. In 1941, Courtney filed for a patent for a second motorcycle design with fully enclosed fenders. Perhaps he was influenced by the fact that the Indian Motocycle Company had introduced its partially skirted fenders in 1940, and that motorcyclists were becoming more accepting of this trend.*

* In 1923, Indian Motorcycle Company became Indian Motocycle Company and retained that name until the company closed in 1953."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1930 Henderson KJ Streamliner
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
Those are some beautiful cars and (2) bikes on that link.  I've seen articles about the Henderson Streamliner but I've never seen it in the real.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
I think it is a beautiful piece of art.  Not sure I would want one as a daily rider, but it is beautiful.  Sadly, style and beauty went out of auto and motorcycles, hell, even buildings in the 60's and seventies. I don't see it coming back with the emphasis on minimal cost building.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »
Absolutely a thing of beauty.
We need more of this thinking in every aspect of our daily lives.
We need to honour and respect craftsmanship, aesthetics, art and design.
We need to lose interest in whatever's cheapest is best.
We need to abandon a world in which GM's ignition switch deceit debacle can ever exist.

Nick

(today's mini-rant over)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
 I saw this a couple of years back at The Rhinebeck NY Vintage bike meet. Really cool, looked very awkward to ride though.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here