Author Topic: Clutch Replacement  (Read 2346 times)

Offline 96ssportsp

• New Egg
  • 2005 Ducati MTS-2000 MG Quota
Clutch Replacement
« on: June 05, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
I have a 2000 Quota with approx. 25,000 miles. First Guzzi, had lots of other bikes. Most others would need clutch pack replaced at this mileage. Under normal usage, any idea when to start expecting clutch replacement? Heading out on a 4000 mile ride in 2 weeks.

Thanks, Scott.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:19:51 PM by 96ssportsp »
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom"

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Clutch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »
Did you buy this bike new or used?  We don't know if the clutch was abused before you got it.  Meanwhile, a dual-plate Guzzi clutch, with attention to adjustments should approach 100K miles service life.  Sometimes pieces of material break off.  Sometimes the centers crack out.  I would think there are a lot more with high mileage than with low mileage failures.  I say go ride. YMMV.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
It's got dry plates like a car, x2.  I expect car-type miles out of mine -- 100k or so.  But ymmv according to riding habits.  If you have to snatch every gear, engine brake, and hole shot, it's not going to last as long as if you drive it like your granpa's buick.  Oh -- if you ride like that your cush drive and drive shaft bits won't last long either.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »
Asking someone how long a certain part will last is like asking someone how long they will live.  I have a '98 EV that pulled a KwikKamp all over the US and it still has the original clutch with 166K on it. I have had the center of clutches break out and teeth wear out on other Guzzis  at 30K.
Ride it.
Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
  Heading out on a 4000 mile ride in 2 weeks.

Thanks, Scott.
Take off.. if it fails PM me, I'll send you some used clutch parts (40k) to get back home on.. you find a place with the tools etc to do the job.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Cal3Me

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 12:34:48 AM »
What color is your Q-bike Scott ??

Red bike clutch plates last longer than black bike plates and if you don't shine your bike they hardly ever wear out  :boozing: :popcorn:
TMS

Offline 96ssportsp

• New Egg
  • 2005 Ducati MTS-2000 MG Quota
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to many painfree miles.  :grin:

Scott.
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom"

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
Randy, the NH Guzzi Rep put over 100K on his Quota and I think it still had the original clutch. (He turned the 100K here at my place.) Still, no one can tell you how long your clutch will last.

Ride it. Enjoy.
Tex

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here