Author Topic: 2003 V11 Lemans problems? info requested  (Read 5258 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2003 V11 Lemans problems? info requested
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
My scura covered about 70k km on the original clutch

My current ‘03 Ballabio also has over 70k on the same clutch

Great bikes

Hey Mike,    Tks for the feedback re the clutches

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Roper plates aren’t currently available. With Pete’s blessing I’m hoping to have some more made in the US. Of course you’ll need to be on V11lemans.com to find out.  :cool:

Hey Dave,   Tks for the heads up, I was wondering about the Roper plates. If I end up with this bike, I'll be on V11Lemans.com for sure.

Tks, Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »
If you buy a replacement shift pawl spring, it is much heavier-duty than the original. Don't carry it around like an emergency $20 bill hoping you won't need it, install it and be done. Anywhere it breaks while you are on a ride will be a less convenient place to change it than in your garage. When I picked up my Tenni, I had the tools and the spring with me in  case it broke between the Sacramento airport and my home in Portland, but after that, the old one was out of there and the shockproof heavy and the new spring were in. Easy fix.

Ok, let's put this pawl spring thing to rest. A heavy spring is exactly the wrong thing in this application. We sorted this on the V11 Lemans forum a year or two ago. Guzzi engineering is generally pretty good, but they dropped the ball on this one. We discovered the pawl spring was being overdriven by 17 degrees (from memory.) The heavy spring immediately is over stressed and takes a set to where it does nothing on the upshift. I made a spring .009" smaller in diameter, and *added a coil.* It is well within "safe travel." I made a test fixture and ran the new spring well over one million shifts with no change to it. It won't break. Along with the "Lucky Phil" shifter extender, the transmission shifts..uh.. as well as any Japanese transmission.
Scud on this list and the LeMans forum sells them for around 10 bucks, I think. Some of that goes back to the forum.
Now that is out of the way..
The Mighty Scura is my favorite motorcycle of all time. :thumb: It's had some mods, but the 03s and on were pretty well sorted from the factory. It is comfortable enough to ride to the twisty bits and competent enough to make the rider be the difference once you get there.
What's not to like?
Oh. And it's the last of the *real* Guzzis.  :evil:  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
Ok, let's put this pawl spring thing to rest. A heavy spring is exactly the wrong thing in this application. We sorted this on the V11 Lemans forum a year or two ago. Guzzi engineering is generally pretty good, but they dropped the ball on this one. We discovered the pawl spring was being overdriven by 17 degrees (from memory.) The heavy spring immediately is over stressed and takes a set to where it does nothing on the upshift. I made a spring .009" smaller in diameter, and *added a coil.* It is well within "safe travel." I made a test fixture and ran the new spring well over one million shifts with no change to it. It won't break. Along with the "Lucky Phil" shifter extender, the transmission shifts..uh.. as well as any Japanese transmission.
Scud on this list and the LeMans forum sells them for around 10 bucks, I think. Some of that goes back to the forum.
Now that is out of the way..
The Mighty Scura is my favorite motorcycle of all time. :thumb: It's had some mods, but the 03s and on were pretty well sorted from the factory. It is comfortable enough to ride to the twisty bits and competent enough to make the rider be the difference once you get there.
What's not to like?
Oh. And it's the last of the *real* Guzzis.  :evil:  :grin:

Hey Chuck,     The knowledge and skills that you and others on here possess, continue to amaze me. I'll definitely file that spring info away in case I need it in the future.

I've gone back over a ton of material and I can't find the reference, but I'm sure I read some place that later 6 speed trannys, not only had the spring redesigned heavier, but that the locating boss(post) on the case? was also improved to a larger diameter to fill the center of the spring and hold it in position better.

I'm curious if the problem with the incorrect departure angle? you've described is due to too small a locating boss that allowed the spring to rotate to an incorrect position and was solved by the later larger locating boss,,, or if they're all bad, new or old?

The "last of the real guzzis" is part of what I find attractive about the 2003 V11 Lemans, modern running engine and brakes, and yet you're not held hostage by some flakey LCD digital dash that can kill the bike with no easy work around or repair.

Another reason the V11 Lemans appeals to me, is that fairing style, it's not only sexy looking but it seems to offer reasonable wind protection. As I'm discovering with my Griso, the problems with my neck, seem to have a lot to do with the wind and buffeting, not just rider ergos.

I can see that a Norge offers the best wind protection, but the tupperware blocking simple maintenance and the digital dash cloud don't appeal to me as much as the simple design of the V11 Lemans.

I think you've owned both a Norge and the V11 Lemans style fairing,obviously there isn't as full a wind coverage, but do you have any thoughts on the wind protection that the V11 Lemans offers particularly in the upper neck head area?

Tia

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here