Author Topic: Northumberland and the Borders  (Read 425 times)

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
Northumberland and the Borders
« on: September 24, 2021, 12:35:45 PM »
Had a great long weekend up in the far north of England and the far south of Scotland. Rode the first leg from Plymouth to Gloucester (with a full day of work in the middle) on the Thursday, and finished off the rest of the 266 miles on Friday. Then 150 miles around Allendale, over to Hawick, Langholm, Longtown and back over the Alston. History is so thick there you can cut it with a knife. The area was The Debatable Lands, rules not by the kings or queens of England or Scotland, but by the Border Reivers under the Border Law. The music I play on the bagpipes comes from the area. Famous Reiver families were The Armstrongs, Hasties, Laidlaws, Scotts, Rutherfords and Crichtons.....

Second full day there were abled over to Haggs Bank and looked in on the Beamish Trial. The bikes have to be 25+ years old to enter. The first one up was a sidevalve Norton from before WW2. Its a very hands on event, in fact that first bike were were hands on as we had to push him up a bit! The riders have a wonderful sense of humour......

Monday was just a slog 403 miles home to Plymouth. Nicest bit was a stop at Hartside just outside Penrith.....the cafe burned down a while ago but there is a burger van.

Hartside looking East

Wild country

Haggs Bank section....

Steeper than it looks....

East Germany's finest tackling Haggs Bank

Very nice - not competing just a spectator

Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Northumberland and the Borders
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
Very nice,

one side of my family originate from the north east, know those roads well...

Hexam to Penrith via Alston is probably the most beautiful road in the UK

:thumb:

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Northumberland and the Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
Some great photos.  Thanks.  I love those MZs and that looks like great fun.
He lost the run of himself.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here