Author Topic: V85tt heated grips  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
V85tt heated grips
« on: January 12, 2022, 09:24:59 PM »
Hi. Picked up a V85tt Centenario yesterday. The left hand grip has the button for the heated grips but from what I read only the V85tt Travel comes with heated grips. Sure enough when I tried it today, I was not able to turn on the heat. My question is if that’s how all V85tt comes as, with a none functioning button?

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85tt heated grips
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 10:02:46 PM »
Yes, they all have the button but only some actually have the heated grips.

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
Too bad. I got excited there for a moment. I prefer the color of the Centenario but heated grips would be a nice upgrade.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
Too bad. I got excited there for a moment. I prefer the color of the Centenario but heated grips would be a nice upgrade.

They are available as an accessory from Guzzi, and also other accessory types have been adapted.  There are some WG threads on installation.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »
I appreciate the fact that Guzzi provides the button and connections to allow for an integrated and straightforward install.   My install took a bit more than an hour.  The youtube videos came in handy. 
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement on self installation. Will see how much the dealer is going to charge for the labor.

jwinwi

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 03:04:11 PM »
IIRC the OEM Guzzi ones don't get as hot as aftermarket ones... Or is it the other way around?  :undecided:

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
IIRC the OEM Guzzi ones don't get as hot as aftermarket ones... Or is it the other way around?  :undecided:
Can't answer the "heat" question, but if you go aftermarket the integration with the V85 control, dashboard, and existing wiring is going to be much less elegant....
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 03:36:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement on self installation. Will see how much the dealer is going to charge for the labor.
Just watch the video and do it yourself Razor.
You will enjoy the journey and begin to learn about your new bike.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »
Heated gloves are an option. Warmer JMO

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 06:36:05 AM »
There is a pretty good thread around regarding installing the Oxford (or any brand really) heated grips and then wiring them to the Molex connectors under the right side frame cover so they are actuated with the normal heated grip button rather than installing the aftermarket controller.
I looked at it last night but got to it from a roundabout way that I cannot explain.

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:17 AM »
The Guzzi grips on the Stelvio are really weak compared to aftermarket,I don’t knower about v85s.I would get some opinions from V85 owners before going with a Guzzi.

Offline Chethro

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 08:34:29 AM »
I went with the full Oxford install including the controller. I'm glad I did since you have 5 settings and I typically run them on 4 or 5. IIRC the stock Guzzi grips only have three settings and you are limited to those if you wire aftermarket grips into the stock wiring.

The controller bolts right to the mirror.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:36:07 AM by Chethro »
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
The genuine V85tt grips get warm, not hot. If I were to choose again I would get Oxford grips, change the power connector and plug into the loom. Hot grips and works with the OE switch.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 09:20:10 AM »
I went with the full Oxford install including the controller. I'm glad I did since you have 5 settings and I typically run them on 4 or 5. IIRC the stock Guzzi grips only have three settings and you are limited to those if you wire aftermarket grips into the stock wiring.

I did this with a set of Oxford grip wraps and will probably replace them with full grips. The factory wiring is designed to work with factory accessories and while it may work fine with aftermarket grips, I'd rather not create a possible warranty issue by doing so.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:03 PM »
Another opinion?
Since the back of your hands bear the brunt of whatever temperatures you must deal with heated gloves, in my experience, are much more efficient  putting the heat where it's needed. Also, if possible to mount, "bark Busters" are an excellent 1st defense; deflecting much of the cold air et al.  R3~

Offline Razor5A

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »
I appreciate the fact that Guzzi provides the button and connections to allow for an integrated and straightforward install.   My install took a bit more than an hour.  The youtube videos came in handy.

Can you post the link to a heated grips install video. The only YouTube video I found was by “Guzzi Newbie”. He removed the gas tank for the install. That’s too advanced for me at the moment.

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »
Another opinion?
Since the back of your hands bear the brunt of whatever temperatures you must deal with heated gloves, in my experience, are much more efficient  putting the heat where it's needed. Also, if possible to mount, "bark Busters" are an excellent 1st defense; deflecting much of the cold air et al.  R3~

MY V Strom has bark busters and they help a lot, along with the Hot Wired gloves. I think I am good down to around 30F for maybe a couple of hours. Now I have to deal with my toes.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 05:54:56 PM »
The Givi hand guard extensions work well, I was a able to wear light gloves till October with them.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
The genuine V85tt grips get warm, not hot. If I were to choose again I would get Oxford grips, change the power connector and plug into the loom. Hot grips and works with the OE switch.

Despite all the pre launch publications, the genuine Guzzi heated grips were not available when I purchased my V85.  So I installed Oxford grips and ran them through the dashboard.

Be warned, the app on the phone that is providing the navigation is very hungry on power.  I use an older phone connected to the bike battery to provide the navigation.  It sits under the seat, so getting to change the route means lifting the seat for access.  But at least it stays charged.

For my Indian FTR1200 I installed Koso Apollo heated grips (purchased from Revzilla).  Draws 2.55 amps max @ 14.2 volt motor running.  A much better option IMHO.

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
Can you post the link to a heated grips install video. The only YouTube video I found was by “Guzzi Newbie”. He removed the gas tank for the install. That’s too advanced for me at the moment.
That's the video.  Given the need to access wiring (including the actual power connections and the electronic throttle connection you swap) the gas tank must be removed.  Its not that bad.  Hardest part is getting a couple tubes loose.
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline SSGG Geezer

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 11:17:43 PM »
Despite all the pre launch publications, the genuine Guzzi heated grips were not available when I purchased my V85.  So I installed Oxford grips and ran them through the dashboard.

Be warned, the app on the phone that is providing the navigation is very hungry on power.  I use an older phone connected to the bike battery to provide the navigation.  It sits under the seat, so getting to change the route means lifting the seat for access.  But at least it stays charged.

For my Indian FTR1200 I installed Koso Apollo heated grips (purchased from Revzilla).  Draws 2.55 amps max @ 14.2 volt motor running.  A much better option IMHO.
Which Bike do you need to select to install the MIA app for navigation?  I downloaded the app on my Iphone and there is not a V85 TT as a choice.

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 06:54:06 AM »
I have the Traveler, the heated grips along with the bark busters are nice, they work well but I feel they could be warmer, Being a Guzzi, you have to press them multiple times to go back to "1" and then work your way up individual.

The added benefit of the Traveler is also the higher windscreen and very bright aux lights.
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 07:39:40 AM »
I installed a $9 set of foil heaters from Amazon, wired them into the V85 electronics. Work great.
Well, I did have to buy a $5 bottle of glue also.  :evil:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fastlaners

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2023, 10:39:30 AM »
I purchased a 2022 V85tt travel version because it came with many wanted options, including heated grips. center stand MIA and TPMS; then ask dealer to install all the Centenario panels and brown seat because I think that’s the best color way offered Thanks, John.

Offline KiowaEagle

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »
I went with the Oxford heated grips wired to the bikes controller. They put out great heat, better than my Kawa's and Honda's OEM grips. Plus they're much cheaper and the install wasn't all that difficult. Here is the link to the thread that helped me.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=104385.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:17:47 PM by KiowaEagle »
2021 V85tt
2020 1400GTR
2014 CB1100DLX
2015 Norge

Offline Bulitt

• Flori-Duh-Man
  • New Egg
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2023, 07:35:34 PM »
Just watch the video and do it yourself Razor.
You will enjoy the journey and begin to learn about your new bike.

Hugo,
Just bought a 22 VT85 Guardio and got the dealer to throw in a set of OEM heated grips with the understanding I would install them when they got off backorder.

While waiting on them I looked into the install a bit which seems pretty straightforward……except the need to “calibrate the throttle” after install through PADS.  That was a surprise!

Anybody know if that it true?  If so, my dealer is over three hours away…..and sure didn’t alert me when he agreed to drop ship them when I said I would install them.

Can I compete it myself or do I need PADS?

Got to be a joker…..he jus do what he please!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 03:32:17 AM »
Hugo,
Just bought a 22 VT85 Guardio and got the dealer to throw in a set of OEM heated grips with the understanding I would install them when they got off backorder.

While waiting on them I looked into the install a bit which seems pretty straightforward……except the need to “calibrate the throttle” after install through PADS.  That was a surprise!

Anybody know if that it true?  If so, my dealer is over three hours away…..and sure didn’t alert me when he agreed to drop ship them when I said I would install them.

Can I compete it myself or do I need PADS?
Well the throttle self learning can be done with Guzzidiag and the on board calibration is done on the bike.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here