Author Topic: Wisconsin Rally 5-7 Aug 2022  (Read 1977 times)

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: Wisconsin Rally 5-7 Aug 2022
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 08:08:44 PM »
Czacky's V7 Sport was an amazing restoration in person. Now it needs only just the right paint.

Chuck, thanks more than words can say for the chance to ride the AeroLario, a long-time dream of mine!

I had a fine time talking with many others and really appreciate the effort of the organizers. Next time, less heat, please!

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 10:00:01 PM »
My friends Mike and Nicole showed up on their Husvarnas Svartpilens. He on his 701 and she on her 401.

Both had a tremendous time.  :thumb:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2022, 07:06:41 AM »
Czacky's V7 Sport was an amazing restoration in person. Now it needs only just the right paint.

Chuck, thanks more than words can say for the chance to ride the AeroLario, a long-time dream of mine!

I had a fine time talking with many others and really appreciate the effort of the organizers. Next time, less heat, please!

Moto

You are more than welcome. It's good to put a face (that I'll probably forget)  :rolleyes: to a screen name that I've enjoyed following posts for years. My bad on the linked brakes.. there must be a little water in the system and it boiled. Felt strange anyway on the way back to The Kid's place. I don't get to *use* the brakes much here in central Indiana.  :smiley:  I'll put that on the list..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 07:12:01 AM »
That’s crazy about that tree!
Chuck, I heard and saw your amazing Lario again. :drool: Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to catch you.
Moto’s T3 looks great in the flesh.
It was cool to catch up with a few others as well!

Awesome job by the WI folks! Thanks for putting this together :bow:
So that was yours in the parking lot?
*Attaboy.*  :smiley:
You had a Lario ride coming.. sorry I missed you. Maybe next year with any luck at all..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2022, 07:12:01 AM »

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2022, 08:09:10 AM »
So what is your riding impression of the Aero Lario Moto compared to your Griso and T3?

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »
So what is your riding impression of the Aero Lario Moto compared to your Griso and T3?

I'll try.

Vs. the T3: First I should say that I still have a distinct, uh, haptic memory -- of the feel of the AeroLario between my legs as I accelerated out highway G. It is of course smaller than the T3 and the riding position is sportier. But the motor makes rawer sounds and transmits more good vibrations up through the seat. (No cheap jokes, please.) The bike felt very lively compared to the T3. It seemed to pull very well and evenly throughout the rev range I used, which was up to near 7000 rpm (with Chuck's permission). I didn't spend much time below 5000 rpm, I suppose. It was a blast. By contrast, my T3 also pulls well up to around 7000 but has a feeling of coming on the cam (hah) at about 5000, which excites me. (A power surge at 5200 was also noted in a contemporary review I was rereading yesterday.)

Chuck has made some of the same suspension mods that I have done on my T3, namely Wirth progressive fork springs and FAC dampers. I have Ikon shocks, and I  bet he has those or else some Konis. He also has a Telefix fork brace (I've just received mine but haven't installed it). Otherwise he said, I recall, that the Lario frame is stock. The suspension felt better damped than the T3's. The fact that the AeroLario is lighter makes it much more responsive to steering inputs than my T3. It is still very stable at speed, probably more so than my T3 above an indicated 80 (at least lately). However I don't know how fast I went on the AeroLario because the speedometer was broken -- nice mod, there, Chuck!

The foot brake pedal was pretty non-responsive. Chuck just said he might have boiled the brake fluid. My T3 foot pedal is very responsive and powerful after a switch to stainless braided lines and a good bleeding [EDIT: and new slave cylinders]. I wasn't sure what was up with the AeroLario's brakes, so I didn't try any hard braking. I also took it easy on the corners. Didn't want to stuff this national treasure.

Chuck said he dynoed the AeroLario at 50 rear wheel horsepower. That would be more than my T3. It felt like it, too. My T3 is a "standard" motorcycle that does surprisingly well if you let it rev, and also stops well. It is not as easy to throw into a corner, for sure, as the AeroLario must be. (Though my "superbike" handlebars and somewhat leaned-forward riding position make it better than T3's with a more upright position, I bet.) The smaller size of the AeroLario, combined with the better power and quicker handling, made me understand why Chuck likes small blocks so much (especially this one). It would not be my choice for a long camping tour, compared to my T3.

Vs. my 1100 Griso: The Griso and the T3 weigh about the same, but the Griso seems bigger when I ride it (which hasn't been much, lately). It is like a mad bull by comparison. It has excellent acceleration (though not like the 1200) and excellent brakes. The suspension is pretty good too. I suppose it outperforms the AeroLario in all measured ways, but I wouldn't bet on it versus the AeroLario in a very tight-cornered course, with Chuck as il pilota.

The AeroLario is small and powerful enough to be thoroughly exciting, for me at least. The Griso is big and powerful enough to be scary sometimes, again for me.

I'd take the AeroLario over the Griso at this point, but Chuck was always somewhere in sight once I got back from my ride. Smart, that.

Moto

P.S. Tkelly, I'm sorry I bugged out before we got a chance to have that picture taken. I sent you a PM about that earlier. M.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:59:32 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
Thanks for the review, Mr. Moto.. :smiley: :thumb:
I've always *liked* the AeroLario, but thought I just might be prejudiced. Humans are perfectly capable of *liking* something they have put some sweat equity into, after all.  :wink:
I agree, it isn't a good long distance traveler. Even 3 years ago I could still ride it all day without issue, but ahh.. maturity is catching up with me. I was ready to get off after that little 200 mile ride from Lake Como.
Sorry about the brakes, and I meant to get over and see your bike. Didn't happen for some reason..probably saw a squirrel.  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here