Author Topic: Should you subscribe to old school M/C rags?  (Read 960 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Should you subscribe to old school M/C rags?
« on: November 20, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
The only one I get is Rider.  I used to get all the bigs, Cycle, then Cycle World, Motorcyclist , and a few others along the way.   Most are gone, blown quietly away as the years go by.

But the one I have found that still pushes on against the drum beat is, Rider.   It’s still doing what it’s been doing since I started pawing through the pages in the 70s.

It’s still fun to get a good magazine in the mail.  And if you’re not familiar with the experience, try it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 05:25:08 AM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: Should you subscribe to old school M/C rags?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »
I find it expeditious to just visit the websites as I have piles 'n' piles of old mags that need another home besides mine  :grin:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
I really enjoyed Rider, it seemed to be a very unbiased, non-advertising controlled bike rag.
But after I signed up for a 3 year subscription renewal, the mags stopped coming 7 months later.
I emailed and called, and could never get any response. I didn't know until now they still existed in paper form.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline JoeKirby

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »
Always look forward to Rider in the mail.  Mine stopped coming for awhile, I only got the online version.  Then it started again, I think it was - related.
My favorite rides:
1978 Triumph Bonneville
2005 Triumph Thruxton
2007 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Moto Guzzi V9
Beechcraft BE24R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
From NC Steve:
I really enjoyed Rider, it seemed to be a very unbiased, non-advertising controlled bike rag.
But after I signed up for a 3 year subscription renewal, the mags stopped coming 7 months later.
I emailed and called, and could never get any response. I didn't know until now they still existed in paper form.
Same here,
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
Cycle World was my first motorcycle magazine.  Used to read it cover to cover at least three times.

Good memories.

Fast forward many years... to the age of the internet, and we have zero magazine subscriptions.

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »

I had a similar experience with a one year Rider sub.  Received one printed copy, two months old, never saw another magazine in the mail.   
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 10:51:25 PM »
All my faves went digital so I canceled.  I only get Motorcycle Classics which I think is great.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 10:58:25 PM »
The last mags I had subscriptions for were Classic Bike and Classic Racer.

They expired a couple of years ago when I tried to renew and the US distributor would not answer the phone or respond to my voice mails.

<edit> And I had Classic Bike from Issue #1.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:59:22 PM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 11:17:20 PM »
When Rider runs out in two years that's it.  Not a lot of value left between the covers of the others.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 11:45:10 PM »
I find it expeditious to just visit the websites as I have piles 'n' piles of old mags that need another home besides mine  :grin:

I’ve got several stacks of vintage Cycle mags, bought up when they were 20-25 years old and widely available at swap meets etc. Plus I saved some that were sent to me by mail as a kid. Great to pull out and read with a brandy. Cycle Magazine in the 70s and 80s bordered on art, it was so good.  In comparison anything you can buy now is pretty much garbage, so I don’t get printed motorcycle magazines anymore. 

I’ve also got a whole lot of Classic Bikes, many of them bought at Sonny Angel’s shop years ago so supporting a lot of good memories.  The content and focus of that magazine never changed, an old one is pretty much the same a newer one.  They’re also good to have, stacked on shelves in a cabinet in my library.

In the present, I think the online presentation and email setup being used by Cycle World is pretty good.  It mimics getting a printed magazine in your mailbox - you don’t have to consciously look on some website to see an article, just click on a link to read something specific than catches your attention in the email.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:49:23 PM by Tusayan »

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 04:53:32 AM »
All my faves went digital so I canceled.  I only get Motorcycle Classics which I think is great.
X2....the ONLY magazine of any kind i subscribe "Ride em' don't hide em'" . Rob report motorcycling was some dreamy stuff...too bad it was discontinued!
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 05:27:53 AM »
I did find out from Ryder stop publishing for a few months during the depths of -.  But then started polishing about six months ago I guess if you email them they will extend your subscription at least they did for me.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
I didn't know "Rider" was still in print.  I get e-mail updates for Rider, Cycle World and MC News-something.  I used to subscribe to the first two.   I didn't know if I get them for free or if they just owe me that from subscription. 

Reading this, I suppose they're free.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Indypikes

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
I also started getting Rider again after emailing them. My understanding is that they added a year on to existing subscriptions because of the - fallout. I would try and contact them again via email and maybe their Facebook page in order to get print copies rolling again. They may have been overwhelmed for awhile but somewhat more normal now. Worth a shot.

Motorcycle Classics remains my favorite. They never missed a beat.
Scott in Chicagoland

*2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
*2014 Honda CB1100
*2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
*2001 Triumph Bonneville
*1978 Honda CB400A Hondamatic

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
I used to get them all.  Still been receiving Rider, but just shifted the subscription to my son in CO, couple of years left.  With all the internet info, I wasn't going to renew it anyway.  I really used to treasure getting those monthly rags, but all but Rider seems to be gone now.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline Kthomas

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 06:08:46 PM »
I wasn’t a fan of digital media but a friend talked me into getting an iPad and signing up for ZINIO. I usually wait for promotional sales and then subscribe. I get all the magazines that deal with old bikes. Sometimes the platform is slightly irritating but what isn’t ? I still would rather have a hard copy but ? I have tub after tub of old magazines to go back and read . With a good case of CRS ,everything is like I’d never read it anyway. 😀

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 06:29:47 PM »

Same here! Love MC classics. Often its like reliving the MCs of my youth!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 06:41:46 AM »
i have not subscribed to a rag in at least 5 years, but i recently picked up a copy of "road runner" for the dear price of $10.  i was taken in by the pretty pictures.  i know it is old school, but holding a full sized mag in your hands with glossy pictures of objects of desire (of many kinds) still flips my switch.  internet is fine, but doesn't really compare.
at any rate, i found that the mag had a really fine mix of ride reports with bike reporting in about even proportions, but no quarter mile or 0 to 60 times, no dyno runs but reporting on the specs as the maker provided.  they had excellent descriptions of several different rides you could take with maps and suggested eateries and activities with mileage of the rides listed.  one ride even provided cut out tank bag sized maps you would take with you. there were some equipment reviews too, and of course, pretty pictures.
i would never have believed that i'd find a $10 magazine to be worth the price, but i liked this one and may pick up the next issue and possibly subscribe.
Blue Guzz

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 08:14:42 AM »
I got pretty bored with mc mags. Only so much you can say about a motorcycle ride IMHO. I'd rather take that $ and put it in the gas tank and go ride.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »

I used to get them all, back in the day...Cycle World, Cycle, Cycle Guide.

..and these days, since I have been an AMA / H.O.G. Life Member for many years, I get The American Motorcyclist and The Enthusiast...The only one I officially subscribe to now is Motorcycle Classics.... and for the reason mentioned above. :wink: :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 08:44:16 AM »
I subscribed to Rider & MCN for decades but in the last couple years I haven't renewed for whatever reason.  These days I get a monthly rag from the AMA that is useless to me but haven't figured out how to get myself off the mail list without dropping my membership.....same with GWRRA. Oh well.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 08:53:00 AM »
You have no idea what you're missing by not getting BIKE or Motorcycle Sport and Leisure (MSL) from the UK.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 08:53:34 AM »
Hah. The only one worth subscribing to is 'RealClassic' from the UK. I write for it occasionally, so it must be top-notch, right?

Actually, even when my own drivel isn't abusing its pages, it's an excellent magazine - as long as you're interested in Sunbeams, Terots, Matchless, BSA etc., along with the occasional review of retros.
Most of the articles are written by owner/riders. You might think the writing quality would be highly variable, but, astonishingly, it turns out that many old bike nuts are surprisingly literate and amusing. Far, far better than the biased, predicatable and formulaic drivel in most current bike magazines.

Nick

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 12:21:17 PM »
Been a solid Motorcycle Sport & Leisure reader for 25 years. Love Maynards columns, and the more down to earth practical/touring nature of it. Back in Australia I was keen reader of Two Wheels - very much like BIKE in the UK but sadly gone. They had some excellent writers like Geoff Groff from my home town of Gosford NSW.

I suppose for me, pictures are great but its the writing that keeps me buying year after year. It has to look deeper, be more for profound that "Hey look at this new shiny thing, I can do a wheelie and ride super fast!".

Some of the writers I liked over the years; Mr Smith, Geoff Groff, Maynard, Pete Henshaw, Jeff Ballard? Or was it Eldridge?, and a few others I cant recall. Some bound up in the 80s bike scene in Australia, that seemed to generate highly literate eccentrics!!
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »

Same for me; love Motorcycle Classics.  Paper rules!!! 

Rider didn't do it for me, maybe I should give it another chance.  The British magazines are alluring, but expensive.  Are there any Brit mags that are heavy on vintage/current Italian bikes?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here