Author Topic: Scammer?? blues  (Read 552 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
Scammer?? blues
« on: November 26, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »
Have any of y'all gone through the "joy" of selling a bike recently? I'm trying to sell my '03 V11 Sport naked and have been deluged with questionable responses, for example:
 HELLO,
THANKS FOR THE MAIL YOU SENT TO ME...I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THE PRICE IS OKAY BY ME AND AS FOR THE SHIPPING THAT WON'T BE A PROBLEM ..I WOULD CONTACT  A SHIPPING AGENT THAT WILL HANDLE THE PICK UP......
  AS FOR THE PAYMENT I WILL BE PAYING WITH A CERTIFIED CHECK WHICH WILL BE CASHED EASILY...I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I'LL BE ADDING THE SHIPPING PAYMENT TO THE CHECK THAT WILL BE MAILED TO YOU...IN WHICH YOU WILL DEDUCT YOUR $3750.00 AND SEND THE REMAINING BALANCE TO THE AGENT THAT WILL BE COMING FOR THE PICK UP...TO SEND IT OUT I WILL NEED YOUR FULL NAME AND ADDRESS SO IT CAN BE MAILED OUT AND PROBABLY YOUR PHONE NUMBER...DO SEND THE INFO TO ME ASAP....
    HOPING TO HEAR FROM YOU SOONEST..
          REGARDS.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 11:45 PM Ron Komoroski <ronkom@vaguzzi.com> wrote:

John,
    Bike is still available. Sorry, already lowered price to the $3750.00, which is firm. Over 60 folks have taken time to "like" my ad w/many comments on the excellent pricing. If I have to wait 'till spring to sell for $3750.00, no problem.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours,
    Ron

That person ID'd himself as John Graham

Odd wording, translated from another language? I have nearly identical responses from James Nimble and Steven Gershmann (Steven did list an address in Henderson Nevada) It's the same routine, they'll send a certified check, extra money that I'm to pay to shipper. Just send my address, phone number etc. Oh, and take down my ads immediately. Only the most cursory questions about the bike. Asking for the selling price when (in some cases) it's in the subject of the email they sent. It's just "fishy" & I get a bad feeling. I can't figure why this is being done, some sort of money laundering scheme?
thanks,
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Scammer?? blues
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
Where is that ad? I don't see it in the swap meet.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »
Selling a bike today on Ebay, Cycletrader or Craigslist has become a royal PITA!  I dare say 2/3 of the inquires you will get are scams.  As I type this, I have a Ducati on CycleTrader.  I've had it listed for about 7 weeks and just renewed the ad.  Try selling a Ducati with almost 30,000 miles on it!  Might as well part it out. 

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
Fotoguzzi,
Ad listed: MGNOC, Moto Guzzi Bikes & Parts, Moto Guzzi Classifieds. Do you want me to send it to you direct?
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
Its a scam reply.  Just delete it and move on.

I only sell in craigslist.  I always state "I don't text" and  "include phone number in reply or I will delete" and I do exactly that. No significant problems with the typical "Still available?" monkey business or the endless 2-3 word useless text banter that floods the inbox if I don't stick to these rules. 

And if it doesn't sell or produce activity in a short period of time, I lower price or delete it.  It isn't worth more than someone will pay for it, no matter what it is.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »
When I was selling my Ducati scrambler on eBay some years ago, I had a dude call me and insist he wanted to pay the entire amount via PayPal, instead of just the deposit.  He went as far as 3-way calling his “Bank” while he asked the woman that answered as a bank rep to tell me the total amount of money he had in his account ($100K).  Told him to screw himself and his bank account and that was that.  Definitely took it to a new level though.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 09:48:03 AM »
My friend Joe Gilmore has had the best results selling bikes (10+) on Cycle Trader.
Charlie

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 10:01:09 AM »
fotoguzzi, finally figured out how to list on swap meet, got it done, just 2 pix though, more available.
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here