Author Topic: Don't taunt alligators Darwin content  (Read 18786 times)

oldbike54

Don't taunt alligators Darwin content
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
 Just heard on the radio that a man in Texas chose to ignore the warnings to not swim in a bayou due to alligators . After saying EFF the gators , he jumped in and you guessed it , the gators had a fresh meal  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
Re: Don't taunt alligators Darwin content
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
I used to see big ones in the Everglades.  Sometimes one would go under the kayak, with the knobbed scoots on the back going bump-bump-bump.  That will hold one's attention well.  Used to see people getting close to them with little kids.  Would yell and get them to back away.  Gators are really fast on land and can grab a kid easily.  I've seen them get raccoons.  Tourists are amazing sometimes.  I try not to be one of the stupid tourists, but sometimes I wonder!

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »
Ha! I have always wanted to poke one with a long stick but my wife won't let me. She says I am her meal ticket, not some ol' alligator's...

Bill Lovelady     IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
Just heard on the radio that a man in Texas chose to ignore the warnings to not swim in a bayou due to alligators . After saying EFF the gators , he jumped in and you guessed it , the gators had a fresh meal  :shocked:

Dusty

The 20 something guy and his girlfriend decided to ignore the sign and went for an evening swim.   She came out solo.   Another Darwin statistic.  Yes, gators can move REAL fast, in water or on land.  :bow:

Saw a video of a stray cat who took on 3 gators @ a gator farm in Florida and convinces them all to go back in the water.   :huh:   Badass cat!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:28:25 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »
You gotta be careful when you hang out in places where you're not at the top of the food chain.

That kind of stupidity can get you elected to public office in Texas.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
You gotta be careful when you hang out in places where you're not at the top of the food chain.

That kind of stupidity can get you elected to public office in Texas.
  Well played and quite true!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:26:32 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
video anyone?

Funny , kinda sick , but still funny  :laugh: I feel some sympathy for his family , but like riding drunk , or going skydiving W/O a parachute , some things are simply not going to end well .

Dusty

Vasco DG

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
No alligators in Oz. It would of been a saltwater crocodile, or several. It surprises me not a jot. People can be extraordinarily stupid but swimming in a billabong known to be the habitat of salties is right 'Up There'.

Any waterway in the 'Top End' that has salties in it will be forrested with warning signs informing locals and tourists alike, (In popular tourist areas they will be in many languages.) of the presence and danger of crocs. I'm sorry, into the water? Out of the gene pool! It's as simple as that. Your chances of surviving a salty attack are probably roughly equivalent to your chance of surviving throwing yourself off the top of the Chrysler building in New York and using a handkerchief as a parachute!

Pete

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
 Watching a TV nature show that has footage of crocs or gators attacking animals bigger and stronger than people,
 and what they do to them should be educational enough to make people fearful of them.
 To ignore this and tempt fate is nothing more than stupidity.  When people do this and the animal acts in a manner
 entirely normal to its' nature, the animal is not to blame for the results.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
No alligators in Oz. It would of been a saltwater crocodile, or several. It surprises me not a jot. People can be extraordinarily stupid but swimming in a billabong known to be the habitat of salties is right 'Up There'.

Any waterway in the 'Top End' that has salties in it will be forrested with warning signs informing locals and tourists alike, (In popular tourist areas they will be in many languages.) of the presence and danger of crocs. I'm sorry, into the water? Out of the gene pool! It's as simple as that. Your chances of surviving a salty attack are probably roughly equivalent to your chance of surviving throwing yourself off the top of the Chrysler building in New York and using a handkerchief as a parachute!

Pete

Alligator-Crocodile............pretty much the same result.

Vasco DG

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
Same result but different animals. Sorry, pedantry maybe but......

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »
Many people are just stupid.

Watching tourists at places like Yellowstone is a great example.  Or seeing someone try and pet a bear.

The sad part is some of them will get away with their antics, which encourages others to do the same.  The tourist 'attractions' like swimming with sharks or climbing Mt Everest are perfect examples.  Hey, if Joe can do it, so can I, and, I don't need no stinking guide.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Same result but different animals. Sorry, pedantry maybe but......

One of them has a larger brain , and Crocs seem to have some limited ability to learn . Whew , our gators can get pretty big , but salties can reach 20 ft and over 2000 lbs . Add that to a bad temper and a voracious appetite , damn OZ has some nasties  :bow:

Dusty

Vasco DG

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 06:05:28 PM »
One of them has a larger brain , and Crocs seem to have some limited ability to learn . Whew , our gators can get pretty big , but salties can reach 20 ft and over 2000 lbs . Add that to a bad temper and a voracious appetite , damn OZ has some nasties  :bow:

Dusty
d

They are sort-of endothermic too which makes them even more dangerous.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
d

They are sort-of endothermic too which makes them even more dangerous.

Pete

Oh hell , a reptile capable of generating body heat . How big are the mice in OZ  :grin:

Dusty

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
Many people are just stupid.

Watching tourists at places like Yellowstone is a great example.  Or seeing someone try and pet a bear.

The sad part is some of them will get away with their antics, which encourages others to do the same.  The tourist 'attractions' like swimming with sharks or climbing Mt Everest are perfect examples.  Hey, if Joe can do it, so can I, and, I don't need no stinking guide.

On one visit to the U.S. and Canada we were at a glacier on the moraine at the end of it. There were numerous signs outlining the dangers of walking on the glacier on any part apart from the clearly flagged 'Safe' trails but due to the constant melt even these couldn't be guaranteed and it was advised that one stayed off.

There were also sign boards covered with newspaper articles about people who had died of hypothermia after falling into crevasses and getting soaked and the dying before they could be rescued, the last such event being an eleven year old boy about six weeks before we were there.

Amazingly there were groups of people, including a bunch of screeching cougars in high heels and short skirts tottering off over the ice straight off the flagged paths!

I have to admit we were all a bit goggle-eyed at the stupidity!

Pete

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
I used to think such things were remote from me most of the time.  Big animals - well, I don't really mind getting bumped by a shark every once and a while, but I would cut loose something that could tow my boat!!  I've seen plenty of the lucky surviving this and that.  But it was rare.

Then the "Dragon" became popular, my local area filled with motorcyclists of all kind and skill, and I started to see or see the aftermath of amazingly odd behavior.  Some things are pretty common, some just defy any kind of logic.  Taking a super raked out chopper into our mountains, for example.  That fellow hit the guard rail on the first sharpish turn.  Deciding to pass over a blind hill.  Family came to pick up the body.  Most amazing, as with gaters, crocs, active ice, large toothy fish and the like, is the obvious lack of any consideration of what one is doing.  I have been known to stop at Deals Gap simply to watch for a while, then sneak down quietly and carefully.  My favorite was the fellow who dropped his too-big bike (not too big for the readers here, but too big for him) in the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort parking lot, get helped up and settled.  Then he shot across 129 into the ditch on the other side.  Some folks over there helped him up.  He proceeded to roar uphill towards the state line and some actual challenges, rather than simply remaining upright.  I was happy to be heading the other direction.

Anyone else see anything particularly interesting in the Darwin award vein?  I once talked to a hang glider pilot who assured me he had everything planned.  I was the last person he talked to in this life.  Kind of makes one cautious.

Penderic

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 07:27:06 PM »
I haven't had a swim in long time! Along with many others I saw the "JAWS" movie when it first came out.

Not many people went to the beaches that summer! And I hear that sharks have been especially bad this summer for the surfers.

Now then, if you gave a shark the ability to walk on land, they would probably look like a croc!

"Hey Lefty! Hey Stumpy! Whatcha caught there?!"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:30:02 PM by Penderic »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »
I thought sharks that walk on land were called lawyers. (Guzzi riding attorneys excepted of course) :grin:  Actually I think that is a logical conclusion, sharks that can walk on land are gators/crocs.  Way too many similarities.  :laugh:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
Death by Disney.

Penderic

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »
And don't turn your back on any of those new fancy home robots either. Never can tell.

:embarassed:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:36:14 PM by Penderic »

Penderic

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »
Too high zoot for ya? Go cheap! Even your homemade robot can be Darwin Qualifier!

:shocked:  (Oh oh! I'm outta here!)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:49:43 PM by Penderic »

56Pan

oldbike54

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
Too high zoot for ya? Go cheap! Even your homemade robot can be Darwin Qualifier!

:shocked:  (Oh oh! I'm outta here!)

Seems as though that dog is smarter than the fella in Texas  :evil:

Dusty

AGRO!

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Don't worry to much about the crocs its the damn sharks that are biting we have had 6 Deaths in the last 12 months and 2 of those have been less than 1 hour south from where I live.
I think I'm staying out of the ocean from now on. :food:

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
 One wonders if the sharks have something called human leg soup  :shocked: :grin:

Dusty

AGRO!

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »
One wonders if the sharks have something called human leg soup  :shocked: :grin:

Dusty

LOL! You want to buy my surfboard?

AGRO!

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Oops I just look up the stats on deaths and its been 5......
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/07/03/08/58/shark-attack-in-queensland

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:08 PM »
I'd classify this as a death by natural causes. Bad way to go.

Rich A

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here