Author Topic: gotta part with my Goose  (Read 4328 times)

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
gotta part with my Goose
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
My wife quit riding with me in 06 after I was rear ended.  She fell in love with a Polaris slingshot which we picked up today so we can ride together (albeit I'll be riding right seat most of the time because she loves driving it).  Any advice on selling price  my Ca II?  It has 26K on the clock.  I paid 3K for it and have invested another 2K in it including new shoes, rebuilt left front caliper, new pads on front, re-wired LH contol from Gregory Bender, LED instrument lights, LED license plate with all rear light functions, retro=fitted vetter flating top case with all light functions and side cases, 83 saddle with chrome grab rail, front turn signals and original handlebars from another boad member, speed bleeders on all calipers, and Cal III kickstand.  It was repainted and stiriped with wheels powder coated when I bought it with a Dyna III ignition.  there are still a few problems I need to correct.  Really hate to sell it but I need to clear garage space and contribute to the new toy.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
Re: gotta part with my Goose
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »
The details needing sorted out?   The turn signals are not are not on the  ignition circuit, the kill switch is not wired and there is no kickstand kill switch.   I broke the odometer knob competly off.  Oh, on the positive, it also has a new National Cycle Pexi-Star 2 windshield, new Sylvani bright star healight bulb, foam filter pods that have really improved performance and a few other wiring improvements as suggested by Kiwi Roy. 

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
Probably still worth $3K.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
I am going to put it on Craig's list for $4200 with all my spare parts and filter oil, bulbs, relays, extra tire.  I'll take the best offer over $3500 from a forum member.  Wife just told me to keep it since it is now 100% reliable.  Not going to list it on swap meet now.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:07:04 PM »
Wife just told me to keep it since it is now 100% reliable.  Not going to list it on swap meet now.

Well that was awfully nice of your wife to let you keep your motorcycle.
North Carolina

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »
Slingshots don't get rear ended?
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
I guess slingshot can get rear ended but you have seatbelts inside the cockpit and it rides and drives more like a car than a bike.  Still hve the isuue with garage space....did you want it OB54?

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:18 AM »
I guess slingshot can get rear ended but you have seatbelts inside the cockpit and it rides and drives more like a car than a bike. 

I think he's pointing out the question of what kind of crash standards is the Polaris built to.

Seat belts aren't necessarily a good thing.

They're not wanted on a motorcycle because the last thing a rider wants to do in the case of a collision is stay with the machine.

The Slingshot being more car-like probably appeals to the missus because she's assuming a similar level of safety, when in fact the jury is still out on that.

I believe Polaris is trying to classify the Slingshot as a motorcycle to avoid things like crash test data, which I doubt it would fare well in.

But time will tell.

Interestingly you can't register them in TX or CT, though I would assume they would still allow you to operate them with reciprocity if they have plates from another state.

http://jalopnik.com/polaris-slingshot-now-banned-in-connecticut-still-not-1673007263

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/27/2015-polaris-slingshot-motorcycle-review-first-ride-three-wheeler-photos-specifications/

One final point: Polaris makes it clear that the Slingshot is a motorcycle, with no airbags. It’s not designed to meet automotive crash standards, and it’s not a step toward producing an automobile, says the company. Polaris also says that state laws apply in the US. In California, for instance, the Slingshot is considered a motorcycle. As such, the rider will need to wear a helmet and have a motorcycle endorsement on his license. In Canada, similarly, the Slingshot is considered a three-wheeled motorcycle.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Kev, the dealership told me that recently Texas has  allowed the slingshot and CT describes it as an "autocycle" and registers it that way?  One of the reasons finding it difficult to get one is that the SS are being dstributed to TX.   In this vehicle the seat belts are a good idea since you are in what can best be described as a cockpit.  There are some things I don't like about it...the heat off the catyltic converter comes right into the passenger side and they did not make a ventilation system.  It is loud as hell...makes my goose seem quiet by comparison.  It drives more like a car than a bike and it is a hoot to drive on the backroads. The bottom line is that we now do "riding again" whether together or riding separately.

Old Bike, thanks for helping!  Realistically, the two-car garage is being overwhelmed so hard decisions are coming.  Can't part with my 03 R1150R but love cruising on the Cal II.  4000 rpm at 70 MPH on the slab it is like sitting on the front porch rocking chair...smooth and easy. 

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
Yes, Slingshot is now legal in Texas.  A friend of mine got one about two weeks ago.  I also saw an interesting comment this morning from a woman who drives one in North Carolina.  She mentioned that since there is little weight over that wide rear tire, trying to back up an incline or on loose surfaces can be a bit tricky.  This was in a post showing the damage after two large dogs ran out in front of her yesterday.  With no bumper, the front end did not fare well.  The damage was significant, but only the dogs were hurt.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
That's good to know about backing up on an incline.  As with a bike, situational awareness is critical.  We'll have to find an incline to practice reverse....it does have an awful lot of rubber on the road. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »
Thanks for the updated info on TX and CT registrations.

I think they look like fun, though I'd probably be partial to Morgan myself.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
The new Morgans are 3x more expensive!  Slingshot is not cheap for what it is...but I am sure that we will get twice our moneys worth in time spent together and on the road.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
Yeah, I know about the cost difference... Just stating a preference, but I'm not buying either...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here