General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Next (personal) project - Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada

<< < (51/57) > >>

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on January 03, 2022, 08:58:36 AM ---I'm sure there are better things to use, but the anode I'm using is just a length of 1/4" steel rod, bent to an "L" shape. Likewise with power supply - I use an 45 year old Craftsman battery charger set on 12 volts and 10 amps. 1/2 cup of washing soda to 5 gallons of water. Yes, positive to anode.

Slow process - I'm on the third day. The anode is still collecting "barnacles".

Thanks Charlie, I have an ancient Sears battery charger / engine starter 5/3/2/225 amp - 6/12V beast I inherited from my father in law that should work out great for this.

Jim

If the tank is just lightly rusted, no "varnish", I use milkstone remover instead. Quicker and does an excellent job. This one had a nice coating of varnish along with the rust.

--- End quote ---

SIR REAL ED:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on January 03, 2022, 08:58:36 AM ---I'm sure there are better things to use, but the anode I'm using is just a length of 1/4" steel rod, bent to an "L" shape. Likewise with power supply - I use an 45 year old Craftsman battery charger set on 12 volts and 10 amps. 1/2 cup of washing soda to 5 gallons of water. Yes, positive to anode.

Slow process - I'm on the third day. The anode is still collecting "barnacles".

If the tank is just lightly rusted, no "varnish", I use milkstone remover instead. Quicker and does an excellent job. This one had a nice coating of varnish along with the rust.

--- End quote ---

Same process use for lightly rusted tanks.  Except my battery charger is only 43 years old.

Do you plan to coat the inside of the tank after cleaning?

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: SIR REAL ED on March 24, 2022, 06:28:26 PM ---Same process use for lightly rusted tanks.  Except my battery charger is only 43 years old.

Do you plan to coat the inside of the tank after cleaning?

--- End quote ---

What I thought was "varnish" turned out to be what I suspect was Red Kote sealer. It wasn't applied to the entire inside, only in some areas. Weird. I think this tank may also have pinholes, just like the original, so I am coating it with Caswell. I didn't want to leave the Red Kote there and coat over it, so I've spent a lot of time removing it. I poured a gallon of MEK in the tank and let the vapors do the work. Eventually the Red Kote dissolved and I've flushed the tank again. Hoping to seal it this weekend and finally get it to the painter on Monday or Tuesday.

SIR REAL ED:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on March 24, 2022, 08:33:15 PM ---What I thought was "varnish" turned out to be what I suspect was Red Kote sealer. It wasn't applied to the entire inside, only in some areas. Weird. I think this tank may also have pinholes, just like the original, so I am coating it with Caswell. I didn't want to leave the Red Kote there and coat over it, so I've spent a lot of time removing it. I poured a gallon of MEK in the tank and let the vapors do the work. Eventually the Red Kote dissolved and I've flushed the tank again. Hoping to seal it this weekend and finally get it to the painter on Monday or Tuesday.

--- End quote ---

sounds like a wise approach!  Coating over an existing coating sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Never get rid of an old battery charger.  I recently lent mine out to a friend for several months whose daughter needed a 12 volt power supply for a science project.  Worked like a champ for many weeks.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
What's going on here, looks like some sort of bloody massacre!  :grin: Nope, just sealing the inside of the tank with Caswell "Dragon's Blood". In the background are my new metal tank and sidecover badges, to replace the fragile plastic originals.

All done and excess draining. What a pain - I remember now why I try to avoid sealing a tank if at all possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version