Author Topic: ECU Question  (Read 610 times)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
ECU Question
« on: March 02, 2024, 07:49:03 AM »
So the previous owner of my '07 Calvin swapped out the ECU for an older one that doesn't support the LAMBDA sensor and has me getting 30-33 mpg on a bike that should be getting 40+. I've been looking for a 15RC ECU, but I have a question that I can't quite seem to find an answer to. It seems like the Calvins had the 15RC.C8, but there were other models that had the 15RC.CC, 15RC.CA, ect. I'm wondering what the difference is. Is it just the mapping, or is it more than that? Will the CA, CC, etc ECUs work for the Calvin if I remap them? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: ECU Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 08:53:36 AM »
Get a Beetle map installed for better mileage, unless you know the maping. OR get it tuned better. My EV gets just under 50.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 09:59:05 AM »
Is that dual plugged like the Breva, etc.? That would be a lot different mapping for the spark.
But don't think it is.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 09:59:29 AM »
Get a Beetle map installed for better mileage, unless you know the maping. OR get it tuned better. My EV gets just under 50.

I've done that. The older ECU not supporting the 02 sensor just can't get any better than mid 30s.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 09:59:29 AM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 10:46:43 AM »
FWIW: When I was doing more 70mph freeway riding my EVY was getting right at 40mpg. Now that I'm doing less freeway and more city, it's in the mid 30's. Same for my Loops and my HD.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 04:11:02 PM »
I've done that. The older ECU not supporting the 02 sensor just can't get any better than mid 30s.

Which? Beetle map or tuned better?

What's your current CO trim value?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 04:37:14 PM »

What color are the plugs?
Have you used GuzziDiag to look at all of the sensors to verify they are good? ( TPS, engine temp, etc.)

You should be able to copy the map data (timing and fuel) from the original ECU bin file to your ECU.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 05:29:11 PM »
Ecu’s, copying map data etc etc.  I’m plain STUPID when it comes to ECU’s and mapping.  I envy your guys knowledge on that topic!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 06:38:39 PM »
Ok, let's clarify: over the last two years, I have loaded several maps, including Beetle maps, I've reset TPS, gone through whole system, I've done it all. The ECU is the problem. It's several generations older than what should be on it, doesn't support the LAMBDA, and the bikes with those ECUs never got much better than mid 30s, anyways. So I don't need advice about how to pull more mileage out of it with the current ECU. I've tried it all.

What I'm trying to find out is if I can load a Calvin Beetle map (for a 15RC.C8 ECU) onto a 15RC.CA ECU.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 06:44:58 PM »
To the best of knowledge NO you can not. Sorry miss read. Thought you said 15RC into a 15M.

I had the opposite problem. I had a Calvin ECU in my '04 EVT when I got it. At that time AT LEAST there was no way to load a 15M map into a 15RC. At least per Beetle.

Maybe we can work out a trade for my 15RC???? I'm thinking about it??? PM if interested and I'll think some more.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:40:04 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 09:40:13 PM »
Ok, let's clarify: over the last two years, I have loaded several maps, including Beetle maps, I've reset TPS, gone through whole system, I've done it all. The ECU is the problem. It's several generations older than what should be on it, doesn't support the LAMBDA, and the bikes with those ECUs never got much better than mid 30s, anyways. So I don't need advice about how to pull more mileage out of it with the current ECU. I've tried it all.

The ECU isn't the problem, and you haven't tried it all. The 15M can be made give better mileage than mid 30's.  Simply adding an ECU that supports Lambda won't make any difference if you're using a Beetle map, because Lambda would be disabled. The actual map is what needs modifying.

Also, you didn't answer my question about CO trim.

What I'm trying to find out is if I can load a Calvin Beetle map (for a 15RC.C8 ECU) onto a 15RC.CA ECU.

Yes.

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 03:37:38 PM »

The ECU isn't the problem, and you haven't tried it all. The 15M can be made give better mileage than mid 30's.  Simply adding an ECU that supports Lambda won't make any difference if you're using a Beetle map, because Lambda would be disabled. The actual map is what needs modifying.

Also, you didn't answer my question about CO trim.

Yes.

As far as CO trim, I'd have to look. Can't remember off the top of my head. Sorry, though. To clarify further, it's not even a 15M.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 03:50:06 PM »
As far as CO trim, I'd have to look. Can't remember off the top of my head. Sorry, though. To clarify further, it's not even a 15M.

Wait, I'm confused. You said you had an older ECU that didn't support Lambda? I took that to mean that a 15M had been installed.

All 15RC versions support Lambda.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 04:05:57 PM »
15RC lambda can be disabled. IIRR when you do that you can set the CO trim.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 03:12:50 PM »
I'm curious to know which old ECU you have.

I seem to remember some people using V11 Sport ECUs on their CalVins.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here