Author Topic: Head is now Screwed on  (Read 5519 times)

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
Head is now Screwed on
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Last Sunday me and my Calli 3 had a close encounter with a pipe fence and rock pillar. Heading into a heard right handier I down shifted and grabbed brakes and had none. My riding buddy said I was hanging over the fence and rock pillar, but the next thing I remember was being put into the ambulance and being asked about new scratches on my helmet and being told I broke my neck. It turned out I needed one screw installed thru V2 to keep the crack closed in the pivot pin until it could heel.

I got home last night late and now have had time to look at the bike. Here's some pic's.

No halo at this time, but a neck brace for a few weeks. I do believe I'm supposed to be on this earth for a while longer. Guess it's time to build leading links, NOW.
'76 Convert with sidecar
'93 Cali III with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Head is now Screwed on
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »
Glad you're going to be OK.  Do you know how you lost all brakes?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
Just a guess here but that is a fairly wide and substantial looking chair, the forces imposed on the front end, especially in tight corners, would be substantial and I'd think that there would of been substantial twisting of the forks. Even with the rigidity of the spindle it is possible that the deformation of the front end alignment could of caused the pads to be pushed back into the calipers as the forks twisted in relation to the wheel. Result? When the brakes ar applied the first few pumps of the master cylinder are going to have to push the pistons back out until the pads contact the discs. While that's happening there won't be any retardation!

At the very least a MUCH more substantial fork brace is needed on telescope but the real answer is, as you say, a well built set of links.

Pete

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
I think Pete is on to something but with a different out come. I'm thinking that having the steering damper attached to that broken lower leg may have stressed the leg leading to cracks that broke when brake was applied and axle deflected down an back, resulting in rotor coming out of caliper.

I
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas
"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »
Nasty. Glad you escaped with just a week in hospital & are bouncing back into the repairs & improvements. Hope the neck & any other minor scrapes heal fast. Happy fettling.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »
Honestly that's kind of a wimpy looking setup on that front fork. There is a fair amount of engineering on a rig front end. No offense intended, of course. Glad it was only a broken neck.. (EEKS!!)   :wink: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
This is what I hit. The rider following me said the black mark is where my helmet made contact.

I should be able to pull the forks and tripple trees tomorrow, so I can check for bent neck/frame.

I'm thinking of using 1.5x.120 wall DOM with 1.25x.120 DOM inside for new bent legs for a leading link fork.
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas

elvisboy77

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »
Wow!  I am so glad you are ok.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
Just to be punny -- some headstone!  Glad you're able to write about it.

I too am interested in what happened to the brakes.  Having them fail completely between one use and the next is a complete puzzler.  Was it all of them or just front or rear?

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Right, RK, I'm wondering that too.  One of the reasons I dropped my idea of "unlinking" my Mille's brakes is that the way they are, either system can fail completely, and you still have a front brake.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
I'm having a hard time with vasco's theory, especially when I look at where and how the fork lower broke.  I'm almost inclined to think a structural failure right there started the catastrophe.  More pics would be cool.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »
I'm having a hard time with vasco's theory, especially when I look at where and how the fork lower broke.  I'm almost inclined to think a structural failure right there started the catastrophe.  More pics would be cool.

That was my thought, too..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:34 AM »
It was an idea based on experience with fork warpage but is by no means an explanation. I do think that if there was some form of steering damper connected to the lower fork slider that may well of been a contributory factor to the breakage. The sliders aren't resigned to handle side loadings.

Pete

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 07:25:50 AM »
The pads probably were pushed back but after the failure and could have been the first indication of a problem. The reason I'm thinking that is because a rider would do everything in his power to not hit a solid structure, knowing that's where you get seriously hurt and if you can miss the object you likely can walk away. Looks like there is enough bracketry to hold it in place for a little while. It's a cautionary tale for me and I'm glad you are here to relate it!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »
I'm sure this is what started the problem.

That 5/8" alum ell bracket still attached to rear fender support, was bolted across lower leg to both fender support brackets, hit the front left corner of the pillar and acted as a lever to add twisting action to the leg.

Some things will never be known for sure, but that is my take from what I remember and studying the carnage.

'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »
Broke my neck in '07- glad you had as little damage as you did.  That was quite a crash!-good luck with the rebuild.
 My brakes are unlinked.  I've always liked the idea of having some vs none brakes.  Interestingly enough, my rr master cylinder bit the dust after riding the Watkins Glen track.  Had front brakes for the 60 mile ride home. :thumb:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
I'm certainly glad you are still with us.. and feel well enough to take on a project already.  :thumb: :bow:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
My brakes are unlinked.  I've always liked the idea of having some vs none brakes.

Not sure what you mean.  With my stock "linked" brakes, either system can completely fail and I still have a working front brake.  With a conventional separate system, you could lose all of the front brake and have only the rear brake.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
Folks just don't understand the linked concept.

Front brake lever operates rt ft brake only.  This means that for 'normal' braking/speed trim there is no difference between linked and unlinked brakes.

Rear brake pedal operates rear brake and the other front brake.  This means that it operates exactly like unlinked brakes to trim out your stopping EXCEPT that you get more front brake when you use it.

What makes the linked system nice on a touring sled is that you can do a balanced stop with the pedal only.  You can add front braking if you need to.

What makes linked brakes not nice in adv conditions is that sometimes you want to drag the rear wheel on a muddy downhill while leaving the front wheel free.  Linked brakes can't do that.  They're more suited to predictable hard pavement.

All that said, I delinked my brakes because of the muddy downhill scenario.  It's a regular part of my riding.  If it wasn't I'd have kept the linked configuration.

But that's all really a different topic.  I'm still interested in the nature of the failure on this rig.  I'm contemplating a steering damper and alternative front end geometries on the trike and would like to avoid this situation if it's a design thing.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »
Having been a sidecar pilot for the last 26 years, I often think of what would happen in an emergency situation. Whether it's caused by conditions, other vehicles or equipment failure, I hope I would live to tell the tale. I'm glad to hear your on the mend, I bet you wife and doctors are thrilled to see you out in the garage only a week after the accident.
On de-linking brakes. My EML rig has a brake on the sidecar wheel, it was recommended that that brake be teed into the rear master cylinder. A friend and I had assembled his EML rig that way and found the brakes to be marginal at best. When I built my rig, I diverted the line that normally runs up the backbone to the sidecar brake and plumbed both front brakes to a new 13mm front master cylinder. I rarely use the front brake, in most driving situations, the foot brake is more than adequate. Just putting it out there.
Joe Walano

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
Rodekyll, after much thinking and looking at the failed parts I believe the front bearing coming apart pushed the pucks back and caused the brake handle to bottom on throttle before grabbing the rotor, which caused the throttle not to close. That same bearing being gone would of caused the other side pucks to be opened more than normal so that using rear brake lever would not of allowed as much braking either. The lower leg braking was caused by the extra 2" of leverage hanging out to the side that impacted the rock pillar.

That's my .02 worth of thinking now.
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »
Ah, that makes sense.  A badly wobbling front wheel could have made the pistons on both calipers retract, and in the moment of the emergency, there many not have been time to squeeze the lever and push the pedal multiple times to get pressure back, even if you had figured out what was wrong.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »
I wasn't seeing that the bearing had failed until later in the topic.  Yes, that would explain everything.  Is that a guzzi front wheel?  Taper or ball bearing?  Did it warn you that it was failing?  Do you think the damper mount point had anything to do with the bearing issue, or was it just the leverage for breaking the fork?

Offline cleatusj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:01 AM »
Stock wheel with ball bearing and I think too much chair flying. I did not notice anything wrong until I down shifted and grabbed brake.
'76 Convert with sidecar
Granbury, Texas

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here