Author Topic: Well, I keep trying to Register antique vehicles in CT, but...  (Read 679 times)

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
Well, I keep trying to Register antique vehicles in CT, but...
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »
So here's today's extravaganza...

I tried yet again to do my civic duty and Register an antique vehicle in Connecticut. So off I went to DMV HQ in Wethersfield at my appointed hour, which I scheduled last week.

This time it was...yes, you have all the proper paperwork. But that original Title you have from 1989 shows that the vehicle was bought new on a Loan. But it was never signed and stamped to show that the Lein was paid off. So you need to go back to the original owner for documentation that shows he settled the Loan, or get confirmation from the Bank ... that loaned the money, 32 years ago.

Guess I'll be heading North...again.

Steven Rossi

Online Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Well, I keep trying to Register antique vehicles in CT, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
Sounds like Pennsylvania.

All of that hassle for a 32 year old motorbike?!

Really?!

Maine doesn't require titles for bikes that old. 10 or 15 years is the limit.

So sell it to me, I'll sell it back to you with a valid Maine registration and Bill of Sale.

All will be well......

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
Hello, I’m from the government. I’m here to help you...
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »
P.S. -- if the original owner never paid off the Loan, how did he get the Title?

SR

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »

Online Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
P.S. -- if the original owner never paid off the Loan, how did he get the Title?

You're applying logic to a government problem.

You could hurt yourself doing that sort of thing........ :rolleyes:

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 08:31:11 PM »

SR

The title should be noted/stamped/whatever as discharged, just like any other lien.  If not, the in-hand title document is no good.  That's why so many operating condition motorcycles and cars with "no title" are for sale around here.  They have a title loan (or few) on them, never paid off and the vehicle is now nothing but parts so owner is trying to get that final chunk of equity out of that now completely leveraged vehicle.

Hope you can get it cleared up.  Good luck
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 09:01:22 PM »
Last month with Connecticut DMV:

"Sorry, you can't Register that brand new 2021 Moto Guzzi V85 TT 'Centenario' that's on a Certificate of Origin here in Connecticut. Moto Guzzi is not in our computer system."

I keep tryin'...

From today, I get the Loan sign-off issue. Then why did the Bank supply the original owner with a Title ... 32 years ago? Although he's probably dead by now, CT DMV wants me to track him down ... or find the Bank that provided the Loan, which has no doubt changed hands five or six times.

I'll just use my alternative source, yet again...

SR

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 10:45:32 AM »
   Steve,
A trip to VT is always a good day. BTDT recently. Resolved registration issues on 3 MC + a trailer; all formerly registered in MA-a long story. The VT staff, as always, kind and generous with their time, + a nice ride. By appointment only!
As/John Gentile, I stopped on 'Flat Street' Brattleboro to see the new St. signs commemorating Stanley Lynde's Motorsports shop. What a sweet couple! Motorcycle Mecca, in VT. If you have never been? It was a treasure, wall to wall, floor to ceiling. R3~   

Offline Deno

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
I know the drill. Tried to register a bike from GA. Had the bill of sale and the probate documents from the executor of the man that died. CT wanted his signature. Tried five different times to tell them he had died see the executor info? No good must have the signature.
I like the color of the VT plate.

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »
I have to tell my story. Bought a 1500 dollar trailer with the assurance that "I have the title somewhere" . After some weeks we were presented with a three year old title from a out of state dealer assigned to the little old lady and her deceased son. In Kansas that title has to be presented to the county where you reside for payment of sales tax and registration fee. When it became obvious that the little old lady was not going to do this (she already had our money) I instructed my wife to go to the courthouse with the title tucked inside the checkbook and proclaim that we were scared to death about being on the wrong side of the law and wanted to fix this. The guy looked at the title, took his pen and added my wife's name to the buyer's line in the smallest writing ever. Collected at the tax rate from three years earlier sent for a new title an said to bring the new Ks title back with three owners names on it. One week later we paid a change of ownership fee to remove all except my wife's name from the title without input from the dead guy or his sweet little old lady mother
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 09:48:07 PM »
I know the drill. Tried to register a bike from GA. Had the bill of sale and the probate documents from the executor of the man that died. CT wanted his signature. Tried five different times to tell them he had died see the executor info? No good must have the signature.
I like the color of the VT plate.

Deno, I had a similar experience:  my father recently passed, and we gave his well-used '98 BMW Z3 coupe to my daughter in GA, driving it from Mass down there.  To avoid any problems like you had, I simply signed my father's name, that he sold it.  The RMV doesn't want the truth, right?

Speaking of the RMV and the truth, a few years ago I bought a '69 Sears/Gilera 106 for a few hundred cash, in the middle of the night, from a craiglist ad in Somerville, Ma.  Brought the paperwork to the RMV, and ... they said the bill of sale wouldn't work.  It was missing the mileage, or date, or some other trivia.  So I politely nodded, went to the parking lot, and make up a new bill of sale.  10 min later I'm at the clerk w the improved bill of sale, that she had to know was forged, but it had all the data she wanted, so it's good, and the bike is registered and titled.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here