Author Topic: 2008 Norge questions  (Read 2219 times)

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
2008 Norge questions
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:35:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

1st time poster here.  65 yrs old, semi retired.

Briefly, sold my last bike ('79 Bonneville) in 1984... have not been on a motorcycle since.  Restored a few old classic SAAB's and '91 Alfa Spyder, am a decent DIY'er.

Just in last few weeks have decided to get another, do several months of back-road cruising though pacific NW and across Canada.  Just take my time, go wherever I want to go.  Have begun doing some googling/research on "what's out there" b/c I haven't paid attention to motorcycles at all in 30 years.  Started with just a notion I wanted a Sporty Cruiser, something comfortable on long hauls that handles well, very dependable and very reliable.  Thought probably I'd end up with one of the Japanese big 4.  Want something leaner then Goldwing (just too much stuff).

From what I've read, BMW's not so reliable anymore (I was never a fan anyway) and Harley not my cup of tea.  MG was an afterthought at 1st, then have seen a couple for sale here and am intrigued.  From what I've read so far, seems they are extremely reliable and several models seem just what I had in mind.  Found this forum, have read a lot of threads and now a few questions and/or best advice.

In particular, there is a '08 Norge 1200 2V for sale here with just over 3k miles for around $5k  Completely stock.  Getting my MC license on Monday, will take it for a spin next week.  Wanted to see what the experts here have to say about this bike, what modifications or (???) it may need, and if rock solid reliability. 

I am also not clear if this motor has the flat tappet issue and needs roller upgrade.  If so, any recommendations on a shop qualified to do it nearest Albuquerque?  If there's a thread here somewhere that covers years/motors with tappet issue I'd appreciate the link.

I am also a little fuzzy about MG's continued production.  There is mention on their website about "trying to get parts out" and it looks like they are only doing limited production Special additions.  Is getting parts a problem?  Are there good 3rd party after market manufacturers? 

I'm all ears!!!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 2008 Norge questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
Jump in on the 08, nice reliable 2V & tappet issue is 8V motor you are safe. Parts are not an issue so far on the CARC bikes. Enjoy
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 02:02:35 PM »
Buy the Norge if it fits but take a rider safety course,37 years is a long time .

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
If you are getting back into the riding game the only thing I would warn you about is that a Norge, especially with a full tank is more top heavy than it looks and they are a wee bit difficult to upright. Once rolling great rides however.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »
Sounds like a great buy. The Norge is a great under rated motorcycle. Now go rack up the miles and post some pics.

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »
I have same year bike. I am 5-10 so for me it is kind of tall and a little top heavy. Once rolling its fine. Nimble, smooth and enough power for anything you want it to do. Others have used the words “mile muncher” and those are pretty accurate. Handles great even when loaded two up for a week with a tent and sleeping bags. I have put 45,000 miles on it in 3.5 years.

Now I did…
Change the oil sending sensor in the block. Came lose, made a mess and turned on the red triangle on the dash.

Make sure the battery is good.

Added the “no start” wiring.

Change the swing arm bearings. I have pics of mine someplace. Majority of the bearings did not have much grease from the factory and the the balls turn to dust.

Adjusting the suspension made a huge improvement in what is a great ride to start with.

I will say you can get parts for it but I do get parts for my 70’s bikes faster.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 03:22:24 PM by cappisj1 »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
If you are a reasonably big guy you will be able to muscle the Norge around by hand at home etc..
But you really would help your cause by doing a lot of low speed maouvering practice like feet up u turns, low speed straight line stuff etc. If you still have your head screwed on right, you’ll have no issues handling the bike in general use, but they are heavy for a bloke who’s had 30 years off.
That bike you’re looking at is a gem. There’s nothing unknown about them..(mine is the same).
Like the last bloke said..
But it, ride it and ride it again and again and again...etc....
Do NOT expect to feel settled on it for quite some time, but you will as time goes on.
The biggest problem I see for riders who return, is that they go out once every 2 weeks for a 45 minute ride and wonder why they are not feeling bonded to the bike..
You have to ride it a LOT...!
Take care and do lots of trips away from cities if you can, to give yourself time to settle back in.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 05:28:25 PM »
With that low milage the swingarm bearings are likely ok, just need some grease, its not a big job.
The 2 Valve motor is rock solid, it may not have the same power as a 4 valve but with 1200 cc how much more do you need.
Yes I think it has flat tappets but it's not a problem, my take on the 4 valve motor is double the load on the cams, what can you expect.
I have never had a problem getting parts for my Guzzi's of any age and I'm on No 8

An Aussie name of Huzo will pipe up shortly, don't listen to him, he's biased when it comes to 2 Valve Norges lol
The border with British Columbia will be closed for at least another month, but yes we have some great riding up here also.
Will you camp or motel?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:36:40 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Mackers

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Five miles or 1000ft...how hard can it be?
    • Motoguzzimackers Moto Guzzi Diaries
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 06:00:31 PM »
Make sure that you get two keys and the previous owner's personal code.
Raymond Massey:  "No doctor, I think this calls for something special. 
                  I think, perhaps, the Melbourne Method!".

Peter Lorre:  "Not the Melbourne Method!!  Please!!"

- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944.

('06 Breva 1100 and '02 Cali EV - '01 Metal Stone deceased).

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 06:42:32 PM »
An Aussie name of Huzo will pipe up shortly, don't listen to him,
Sounds like good general advice..
Although I’m not as biased since Christopher let me ride his 1200 Sport home from Roper’s place.
In some places mine is close, but up where the big boys play, there is admittedly no comparison.
I think I’ll keep the miles down on mine and try to sell it... :rolleyes:
Back to our OP’s question though...
I maintain and I know that most will agree, the old tractor engine is a rock of Gibraltar that has more of everything that/than JD will ever want.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:51:18 PM by Huzo »

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »
With that low milage the swingarm bearings are likely ok, just need some grease, its not a big job.
The 2 Valve motor is rock solid, it may not have the same power as a 4 valve but with 1200 cc how much more do you need.
Yes I think it has flat tappets but it's not a problem, my take on the 4 valve motor is double the load on the cams, what can you expect.
I have never had a problem getting parts for my Guzzi's of any age and I'm on No 8

An Aussie name of Huzo will pipe up shortly, don't listen to him, he's biased when it comes to 2 Valve Norges lol
The border with British Columbia will be closed for at least another month, but yes we have some great riding up here also.Is that a fact or a guess?
Will you camp or motel?

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 09:48:09 PM »
Hey, thx everone.  Feedback is big help, really appreciated.

>  cappisj1
>
> (...) Others have used the words “mile muncher” and those are pretty accurate. (...)

This is pretty much what I've read in a bunch of reviews, and a few blogs.  No exceptions.  This why this Norge got my attention when MG wasn't on my radar.

> Change the oil sending sensor in the block. Came lose, made a mess and
> turned on the red triangle on the dash.

I've read this elsewhere.  Added to my 2-do list. (Thx)

> Make sure the battery is good.

Will do.  Still has original tires, 12 years a long time even with low miles.  U will replace tires if I buy (kind'a looking like it now) this bike.

> Added the “no start” wiring.

Not sure what that is (???).  Is this for security/anti theft?

> Change the swing arm bearings. I have pics of mine someplace. Majority of the
> bearings did not have much grease from the factory and the the balls turn to dust.

I've read this as well, added to 2-do list.  Where can I get these parts?  Hoping I can find a good Guzzi shop, even if I have to go to Arizona or (???). 

> Adjusting the suspension made a huge improvement in what is a great ride to start with.

Thx.  I live near East Mountains in Albuquerque, 5 minutes away from being out of town.  Plenty of almost no traffic 2 lane roads in all directions, great to spend time on this thing and get to know it.  Again, thx for really good advice.

Several have mentioned its top heavy, maybe suggesting takes a little muscle to handle it around garage or stops.  Also "concerns" I'm 30+ yrs removed from riding.

I'm 5-9, normally carry about 155 lbs and strong as a bull. Ride my road bike 50+ miles with local club.  Was diagnosed with rare spinal cord cancer in October, no treatment in US that would not cripple me.  Signed my life away for experimental treatment in Mexico, have now been cancer free for 3+ months.  Lost 40 lbs and a lot of muscle, been building it back for last 2 months.  If I get close to pre-cancer fitness I'll be fine.  If I'm not ready when I climb on this machine next week, I'll buy it and wait until I am.  I think I'll be fine.

> Kiwi Roy
>
> An Aussie name of Huzo will pipe up shortly, don't listen to him, he's biased when it
> comes to 2 Valve Norges lol

Seems like he got over it. :)

> The border with British Columbia will be closed for at least another month,

I will be leaving early August at earliest.  Depends on speed of my recovery.  Doctors are optimistic.  If cancer returns, then basically... well, I'll be selling the Norge without the memories.  I've had a great life!!!

> but yes we have some great riding up here also.
> Will you camp or motel?

Probably both.  I have friends in Humboldt county, Seattle/Spokan, Vancouver and cousins in Montreal.  Hiked most of the Muir trail about 15 years ago.  If all goes well, I'll just take it as it comes on this trip.  No schedule. 

(...)

> Mackers
>
> Make sure that you get two keys and the previous owner's personal code.

Ahh, added to 2-do list.  Saw that thread today of guy who got stranded, and didn't know personal code.  Good advice, thx.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 10:22:42 PM »
Hi JD.
The starter wiring fix, is a simple method to circumvent an inherent potential trouble spot in the wiring that feeds the starter. You will see it referred to as “Startus Interruptus”.
It is a very simple remedy that will ensure there is no instance of it in your future. You can look it up here on the forum if you go ahead.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 10:35:06 PM »
The two valve Norge is bulletproof. I have about 77k miles on mine although only 3k are from me. Thee first 71 or 72k are from the original owner. The chassis, platform, engine, transmission etc are all fabulous and virtually bulletproof.

The Breva chassis which is on the Norge 1200 Sport and Breva, is a very stable sweet handling chassis and easy to love and live with.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 02:26:33 PM »
42,000 on my '08. I am still very happy. I bought mine new.
Very few problems over the years and most were because of me.
5,000 is a great deal for a low mileage Norge. Sadly they have not kept their value.
Since I plan on keeping mine I am not worried.
I have done a few long distance rides and I have enjoyed the bike totally.
Good luck.
P.S. You never forget how to ride. I was off of Motorcycles for about 25 years while my kids grew up, it was not a problem getting back on.

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
If the example for sale has been taken care of re: regular maintenance, then you will gain a willing all-day ride companion that a handy individual can maintain with the minimum of tools and the vast amount of Moto Guzzi expertise on display here.

The Norge is a often-overlooked touring bargain.  Like the knives of the Swiss army, there's just enough there to get you where you're going all the way to your destination.

Mine is approaching 60,000 miles and I've never been stranded.
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
I stopped by one of the local Harley dealer a couple of days ago to maybe look at a PanAm. They didn't have one, sold a couple right off the truck. The guy I talked to was a big BSer however. He say my Guzzi and asked me about all the add ons, carbon fiber fender, Brembos, remote reservoir shocks etc. He was shocked when I told him the bike was pure stock. Anyway to the point he said he had a Guzzi in the back that needed some work before it goes on the floor as it had gone down and was a bit banged up. I asked what color, red or yellow, no he said white. ????  So he takes me back to look and it was a Norge. Scraped up a bit, broken brake lever and bag scraped up. Went back up front where I asked what they had to have for it. Finance manger looked up what that had in it, $10,500. Probably inflated tradein price but they are going to lose their azz on it for sure, on top of the road rash it didn't appear to be very well taken care of. He said he had a bay area guy interested at $12,000, yeah right.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 07:10:38 PM »

> Huzo
>
> (...) You will see it referred to as “Startus Interruptus”.

Thx, found a few good posts here.  Think I've got it "wired" (oops.)

Still not sure what CARC is ???

> Bulldog9
>
> (...) The chassis, platform, engine, transmission etc are all fabulous and
> virtually bulletproof.
>
> The Breva chassis which is on the Norge 1200 Sport and Breva, is a very
> stable sweet handling chassis and easy to love and live with.

I appreciate that, especially because this is *exactly* what I am looking for.  Most of reading I got from Google says same.  Mine is (IMO) georgous... clean lines all around, nothing superfolous.  Not a wrist rocket (which I don't want/need) but from all I gather a really fine handling, safe and true ride on most any kind of road. 

Not unlike my old SAAB's, now that I think about it.

> Scott of the Sahara

Nice to see you say what I want to hear, from someone who's put some miles on one of these.  Thanks!!!

> P.S. You never forget how to ride. I was off of Motorcycles for about 25
> years while my kids grew up, it was not a problem getting back on.

Thanks, that is my "notion"... I really have no concerns about climbing on an riding.  I'll be careful until I know I'm ready to head north!!!

That was same reason I "gave them up".  I was riding with none of my best buddies in a quiet, residential neighborhood.  Came to a 3 way stop.  There was an old woman at stop sign to our right.  Looked her right in the eye (we were there 1st), and my buddy took off nice and slow... 90 degree left turn.  This old woman all of a sudden took off, hit my friend at maybe 20 miles per hour.  3 90 degree compound fractures in his right leg, bones sticking out, he was in agony.  And he never walked "right" again.  Just hit me so clearly, even doing everything right some idiot can ruin your life on these things (I think she must have had dementia, she did not seem to comprehend what she did). 

Decided right there, with great wife and 2 young kids I didn't want to take a chance something like that might happen to me.  I never forgot.   Never looked back either, surprisingly.  I saw most of western US on my Bonneville, many great stories to tell. 

It is different now.  Some good adventure at this stage of life (especially after getting through cancer) is much more enticing then worries about an accident.  And I was always a careful rider, never did anything crazy.  I will be fine.

>  twowings

Again, just wanted I wanted to hear.  Really appreciate your feedback.

>  twowings
>
> (...) maybe look at a PanAm.

You mean CanAm? 

After decades away, I am less then a week into looking at bikes, only a few days since I saw this Norge with Guzzi not even on my radar.  Even back in the day, Guzzi's were for me, an after thought.  $5k does seem like damn good price but that's not really an issue.  I probably would go for it for $8k.  This Norge just seems like exactly what I want.

Anyway, thanks.

Put a deposit on the Norge a few hours ago.  Will pick it up Wednesday.

Just want to say, really appreciate this forum.  A lot of really good feedback, informative archives and seems like a lot of good, friendly people.  And... pretty much convinced me to pull the trigger on this thing.  Think we'll go out for Italian tonight to set the mood. :)

And FWIW, fun to see some Aussies on here.  We rented/watched "The World's Fastest Indian" a couple night ago.  If you haven't seen it, great movie and kind'a typifies the charactar of Aussies I've gotten to know over the years.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 07:21:56 PM »
I own an 07 and have had very little problems with the bike. I’m 5’7 so I purchased the lower seat and it has been fine for me, yes if it falls over it’s pretty difficult to get it up without help.

With so few miles on the bike I don’t know if I’d change those swing arm bearings immediately but it should be done. Not that difficult and there is a fine write up on this site.

Battery starter wire thread: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=48127.0
I never had a problem but I changed it anyway.

Front discs have been an issue on the early bikes as the buttons get gummed up and act like they are warped. I’ve spun the buttons with drill mounted Allen wrench and some lubricant so solve the problem.

Some people had a problem with the rear brake losing pressure after sitting for awhile and I don’t remember what the solution was because mine has never been a problem.

Ask the seller if the inner plugs have been changed, probably not given the mileage but you’ll have to tackle that at some point. There probably won’t be anything wrong with the plugs but they have been sitting in there a long time if they are the original plugs. Those plugs aren’t cheap, I’d buy a set or just put the originals back if they look good with a bit of never seize.

Make sure the screen goes up and down. Some had issues with the mechanism, but I’ve never had a problem with mine.

Yeah, I’d consider a rider training course. Couldn’t hurt and you might get a discount on your insurance rate.

I think that I have something like 60K on my Norge and I was only stranded once from a loose battery cable. Nowadays I always travel with a small portable battery charger in case it happens again.

Good luck.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 07:28:54 PM »
I own an 07 and have had very little problems with the bike. I’m 5’7 so I purchased the lower seat and it has been fine for me, yes if it falls over it’s pretty difficult to get it up without help.

With so few miles on the bike I don’t know if I’d change those swing arm bearings immediately but it should be done. Not that difficult and there is a fine write up on this site.

Battery starter wire thread: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=48127.0
I never had a problem but I changed it anyway.

Front discs have been an issue on the early bikes as the buttons get gummed up and act like they are warped. I’ve spun the buttons with drill mounted Allen wrench and some lubricant so solve the problem.

Some people had a problem with the rear brake losing pressure after sitting for awhile and I don’t remember what the solution was because mine has never been a problem.

Ask the seller if the inner plugs have been changed, probably not given the mileage but you’ll have to tackle that at some point. There probably won’t be anything wrong with the plugs but they have been sitting in there a long time if they are the original plugs. Those plugs aren’t cheap, I’d buy a set or just put the originals back if they look good with a bit of never seize.

Make sure the screen goes up and down. Some had issues with the mechanism, but I’ve never had a problem with mine.

Yeah, I’d consider a rider training course. Couldn’t hurt and you might get a discount on your insurance rate.

I think that I have something like 60K on my Norge and I was only stranded once from a loose battery cable. Nowadays I always travel with a small portable battery charger in case it happens again.

Good luck.
Listen well to this guy...

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2021, 07:33:09 PM »
Beware that they are pretty idiosyncratic in their build. Also the parts catalog is an absolute joke compared to BMW. There are several parts you wont be able to find in the fiche’s as a result of the company changing hands. Part numbers are an amalgamation of several code systems and as such not necessarily a reliable indicator of fit.  Availability can be an issue and prices are all over the map.

Conversely a sorted old Airhead BMW is a beautifully simple and intelligently though out machine. The parts catalog is organized and availability is excellent. It is a machine that will tickle your inner engineer and you may find yourself inspired to neatly organize you tools. I cant say the same about a Guzzi when I look at the oil fill plug hiding behind the bodywork which itself is a trick jigsaw puzzle.

...I still have my Norge though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 07:44:40 PM by BRIO »

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »
Hey Blackcat,

Thx, you mention some things I haven't heard/read before.

I'm going to have to get a good manual for this thing.  Any suggestions?  Did not see anything on Guzzi's website.

> With so few miles on the bike I don’t know if I’d change those swing arm bearings
> immediately but it should be done. Not that difficult and there is a fine write up on this site.

Yes, that is already on my 2-do list.  Just curious, replace bearings b/c not enough grease from factory... and/or was something wrong with bearings from the git-go?

Not sure what "buttons" are on front disks (???).  I've done everything imaginable on all kinds of disk brakes, but that term (is it Guzzi slang?) is unfamiliar.

Maybe someone else will chime in on rear brake losing pressure.

"inner plugs"... you mean spark plugs, right?  I have no idea where they are on this thing.  I'll have plenty of time after I pick it up and get a manual to go through all this stuff. 

I'll look into rider training course, can't hurt. 

Battery cable thing... from having sail boats and old SAAB's I got in good habits of doing frequent "once over" just for this kind of thing.  Thanks for all the heads ups.

Curious... do any of you run synthetic oil in these motors?  With only 3k miles, not too late to switch unless there are some issues.  On the classic SAAB forums, "opinions" (many of them from really good, experienced wrenchers) were all over the map.  Some of original SAAB factory mechanics swore not to use it.  A few of us put serious effort into research (eg. getting good, reliable independent test results) and trial in our own motors.  The definitive result was there were non-trivial, tangeable benefits in performance (less significant then...) /longevity.  I'd like to hear what old hands here think.

Only big issue with synthetic (on new or close to new) motors was, there were a few here and there that had seals and/or gaskets that did not stand up to some of the components in some synthetics.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 08:48:08 PM »
Here is the thread on the swing arm bearings. I didn’t replace mine, just cleaned them up and packed them with grease:
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66579.msg1021807#msg1021807

The buttons or bobbins on the disc is what makes them semi-floating discs, they aren’t the best and there is the option to buy better ones but I’d give it a try if you notice the brakes pulsing when you stop. Another thread:
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=102556.0

Yes, there are the regular easily accessible spark plugs and there are smaller plugs that are located on the flip side of the heads. Another thread:
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=104800.0

Oh, removing the gas tank is another issue when removing the fuel line. There are plenty of threads on that issue, basically there is a way to remove the nipple and if you are too aggressive it will break. Also, those tanks will swell from ethanol which isn’t a huge problem but it will happen. Some have said that if you drain the gas over the winter the tanks will go back to normal but I haven’t tried that either.

Only use the recommended oil for those engines.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »
> BRIO

Yah, parts availability is the only thing that has given me pause.  I've been throught Guzzi's website, have to agree with you... not a lot to go on there. 

If this Norge was going to be a daily driver and I expected to do 70/80/100k miles in a few years, I would probably look elsewhere.  But this Norge, for me, is not that.  95% of my getting around in Albuquerque is on my road bicycle and that will continue.  All the feedback here from other Norge owners and everything I've read pretty much confirm solid engineering, top quality build/production and reliability.  Just in these few days on this site, already getting pretty good idea of some of little things/fixes to ensure it doesn't fail when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. 

I am quite comfortable at this point with the rock solid dependability of this machine. 

I found a thread here referring to a guy named Matt Forslund here in Albuquerque who, it seems, is the go-to guy for Guzzi's here and may be good resource for parts availability.  Google tells me there's Guzzi dealers in El Paso and San Antonio.  After I get a manual and have some time to go through this Norge and know what I'm talking about, I'll contact all of them and try and get the "lay of the land". 

I haven't heard anyone say anything about 3rd party/aftermarket parts sources/manufacturers, so...

> Conversely a sorted old Airhead BMW is a beautifully simple and intelligently though out machine.

"old" being qualitative term there.  Looks to me like this Norge, though different "personality", is pretty "simple and intelligently though(t) out machine" too.  I've never had beamer (car or bike), but pretty sure getting old parts for 'em is as you say.  My road bicycle (I built it about 10 years ago) all done with Campagnola parts.  I can get $.10 spring for 20 year old derailers on their site.  Japanese derailers, would have to throw them away and replace entire unit.  Campy components are for forever. :) 

I "get" what it's like to have parts for loved old machines easily "gettable".

I just don't really care for the newer BMW's.  I'll leave it at that.

> ...I still have my Norge though.

Ahaaa!!! 

blackcat

Thanks for clarifly disks/bearings/plugs.  All duly noted, will give thorough attention to each after I pick it up.

> Only use the recommended oil for those engines.

Got it.  I have not seen manual yet, so... (I take it they don't recommend synthetic).

Again, thanks for really good, detailed posts. 

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
I would contact Matt Forslund first before the other places. Matt knows a lot about Guzzi’s.

Only use 10W60 synthetic oil.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88769.0
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2021, 02:22:52 AM »
I would not presume to add to Blackcat’s comments, they are accurate and succinct.
However, on the subject of inner plugs.
If and when you feel it is a good time to replace them, it is WAY easier to pop the airbox out. I have had mine out a few times for routine jobs and from start to on the bench is no more than 20 minutes and about 30 minutes to re fit it.
With the ‘box out, the plugs are an absolute doodle.
My personal view is that if you do them every 20,000 k (which I do), you do not have to put the expensive ones in.
Also if you do not do it this way, you cannot guarantee that small stones or debris, will not fall into the chamber when you remove the plugs.
With the airbox out, you can blow the living tripe out of everything within a bull’s roar with compressed air and you’re laughing.
In addition with the airbox out, you can check the security of the spade connector/s on the oil pressure and neutral switches.
Both are an absolute bastard to get at otherwise.
If you are unsure about ANYTHING you attempt, there is nothing that has not been overcome before here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:23:58 AM by Huzo »

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
Rear Brake loosing pressure. Or Pedal Squishy
Mine does that. One way to help that is to hang a weight off of the rear brake pedal when you are not riding it.
I did not change my inner plugs until about 30,000 miles (it was running bad) You will need a special thin socket but it is not hard once the tank is off. Note: make sure the tank is pretty empty before removing it.
I hope you enjoy this bike.
When you are riding it, in the higher gears keep the RPM's around 4,000 and the bike is happy. 4th gear =50 MPH, 5th gear = 60 MPH and 6th gear = 70 MPH.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 10:04:41 AM »
Rear Brake loosing pressure. Or Pedal Squishy
Mine does that. One way to help that is to hang a weight off of the rear brake pedal when you are not riding it.
I did not change my inner plugs until about 30,000 miles (it was running bad) You will need a special thin socket but it is not hard once the tank is off. Note: make sure the tank is pretty empty before removing it.
I hope you enjoy this bike.
When you are riding it, in the higher gears keep the RPM's around 4,000 and the bike is happy. 4th gear =50 MPH, 5th gear = 60 MPH and 6th gear = 70 MPH.

That's about when I changed my plugs and they were fine except I did break the porcelain on one of the plugs trying to get it out, which is why I wished that I had changed them sooner but fortunately none of the pieces fell into the combustion chamber.  I just bought a cheap plug socket and ground it down to fit.

Yes, pulling the airbox is the easiest way to get to those plugs and I found that it is easier to install the throttle body snorkels by manipulating them through the airbox instead of from the outside of the box.  Reminds me that I haven't replaced my plugs in awhile.......
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 11:18:56 AM »
I think this is your manual, you should be able to download it and save it:

https://cadrecycle.com/manuals/technical/Norge%201200.pdf

The site also has a section for owners manuals.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline jdmckay

• New Egg
    • Citizen Action
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
I'll take a look at disk "buttons" after I pick my bike up.

> Tom H.

Hey, thanks a lot!!!  Just what I've been looking for.  Best Guzzi tech site I've seen so far. 

Cheers!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here