Author Topic: Optional way to transport a motorcycle  (Read 5589 times)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Optional way to transport a motorcycle
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »
Interested in your critique of this bike hitch. New take on an old idea. The owner is in process of taking this from a garage hobby to an actual brick and mortar business with employees. Overwhelming response from buyers so far. What do you think?

Welded stainless
600# bike max weight
The two video links are my youtube channel....no danger. less than a minute combined between the two

https://youtu.be/MgCH9q6JykY

https://youtu.be/3W50-2Rbtm8

fire away.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:06:53 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline mainsail

• New Egg
Re: new way to transport a motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:14:11 AM »
Interesting and cool are my immediate thoughts.

I'd be interested to understand the dynamics for what it might do the forks/tree to drop the front wheel into a pothole at 50MPH.... going backwards.  IOW, those parts are set up to handle stresses with the bike traveling forward, not backwards.  Might be nothing though.

But you left out a key piece of information; the ballpark price shipped.

That said, it looks a lot easier than towing a trailer.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 08:16:37 AM »
That looks crazy dangerous to me.. imagine a tank slapper if the tie downs got even a little loose.
But what if the front wheel had a little platform with wheels strapped on? I know, just a goofy idea.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 08:23:38 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 08:18:38 AM »
There are already competing products out there. 

I guess if you have limited garage/yard space and an economy car and need to get your bike to the shop a lot it might be useful.

How many tows to the shop will it take before you start saving money?

I met a guy who has something similar that he uses to tow a KTM Supermoto to the mountains.  I think I would just trade in the SUV or car for an economy truck. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 08:18:38 AM »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 08:19:01 AM »
Wouldn’t forcing the front forks to steer straight cause scrubbing or worse, significant lateral forces against the forks or steering linkage and bearings?
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:22:43 AM »
Build it, they will sell. I might even be goaded into it myself. I've considered this method for years.

Road grime is an issue.
Negative caster is an issue towing from the rear.

This was not uncommon practice for racers back in the 50s-60s.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »
If you have a truck, put bike in the bed.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 08:43:56 AM »

unless you don't have a truck, or unless the bed is full.
and it's pretty dangerous getting a 500# bike up and, more importantly, down, by yourself. Risk of damage and injury are pretty high.
My interest was taking the bike on vacation with family and stuff....having the bike along and no trailer to mess with. Bed isn't an option.

Here is a link of a google search I did.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bumper+towing+a+motorcycle&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi4u4imrrn3AhV1r3IEHaRoBvYQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=bumper+towing+a+motorcycle&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoHCCMQ7wMQJzoICAAQgAQQsQM6BQgAEIAEOgQIABBDOgcIABCxAxBDOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToGCAAQBRAeOgYIABAIEB46BAgAEB5QoUxYgH1giYABaAJwAHgAgAGmAYgBjB-SAQQwLjI3mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=5uVrYriwJfXeytMPpNGZsA8&bih=643&biw=1366

None by the rear wheel. This really does seem to be an unusual approach.

Wouldn’t forcing the front forks to steer straight cause scrubbing or worse, significant lateral forces against the forks or steering linkage and bearings?

Force from where? bike and rider is =/- 700# moving at speed. Any impact is that weight and it's inertia moving into the bump/hole/corner what ever. This is a fraction of the bike's weight (300/400 #'s ??) with zero resistance and the free spinning wheel and bike able to bounce with no resistance. I believe - as did the mechanical engineer that designed it- that it's minimal.

There are already competing products out there. 
I guess if you have limited garage/yard space and an economy car and need to get your bike to the shop a lot it might be useful.

throughout the country, even as the owner of a half million dollar home, your HOA will not allow a trailer on the property. In cities everywhere, urban dwellers have no room for a trailer. Trailers cost a mint and need to be registered annually and stored someplace. This goes in the hall closet/trunk/bed of the truck.
That looks crazy dangerous to me.. imagine a tank slapper if the tie downs got even a little loose.
But what if the front wheel had a little platform with wheels strapped on? I know, just a goofy idea.

Good point and good idea!!

I will say, the locking ratchet straps with this thing are surprisingly high quality. I spent the last ten years using ratchets to lash tempered 3/8's shower doors to the wall of a semi trailer, many many tiumes the weight and force of this bike. The strapping doesn't stretch and the ratchets don't fail. I would think that every 300 miles (gas refill) a click on each ratchet - if available- would do it.

My fear. Flat tire....

This is great feedback and what I was hoping for! I know the owner and she asked me for feedback. She may regret that!

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 08:51:44 AM »
For short tows it would be worth owning depending on price. I have a small trailer and I can load a bike by myself without issue but it does have to be licensed.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 09:06:39 AM »

Sometimes the truck has a cap on the bed, and is set up for camping.  I use this for my two lightweight bikes.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 09:31:45 AM »
I'd definitely be tempted.

I'd need a fork truck or loading dock to put a bike in my bed. And then getting it out? Plus truck beds aren't full size any more.

This would also solve the problem of having to pull a trailer one way empty. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer is great. Built in wheel chock. Well made.
Can't drop though. Have to return where you rented.

If it proves out with people using it. I'd be interested. I'll let the market decide rather than decrying it now.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »
    Honda built a whole bunch of big red three wheelers too before the law suits shut that down.
Any lateral movement what so ever of the cinched up back wheel on that hitch setup and a disaster is going to happen.
 For ones own use it would get you by, but to sell those to the average idiot consumer----- No way! the lawyers are circling like vultures around that set up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:40:29 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
    Honda built a whole bunch of big red three wheelers too before the law suits shut that down.
Any lateral movement what so ever of the cinched up back wheel on that hitch setup and a disaster is going to happen.
 For ones own use it would get you buy, but to sell those to the average idiot consumer----- No way!

Bingo. That’s my concern. There needs to be a pivot. That’s why trailers pivot there. You just can’t have too many wheels in a direct line, especially so far apart. If the attachment doesn’t snap, the rearmost wheel (moto’s front) will significant scrub or snap. One or the other has to go. But I’m happy to be proven wrong by someone who understands engineering/physics better than I.

Edit: Looking at it again—I was assuming it doesn’t pivot, but maybe it does? If so, obviously better than not pivoting. But to acogoff’s point, I’d agree that it would still prove to be an issue putting a lot of forces on the moto’s wheel bearings, and the vertical setup would lead to extra tip over force, as opposed to a trailer that sits lower.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:50:35 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
I like it . first thought was how to get the rear wheel up in the rig then watched vid pretty cool.

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 09:56:38 AM »
what happens if you need to reverse?
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »
they've been out there about 3 years. I haven't been able to find a bad review.

https://motowus.com/product/adjustable-tow-24/
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 10:02:45 AM »
what happens if you need to reverse?

I've found it far easier to back up with this than my motorcycle trailer.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 10:06:56 AM »
Bingo. That’s my concern. There needs to be a pivot. That’s why trailers pivot there. You just can’t have too many wheels in a direct line, especially so far apart. If the attachment doesn’t snap, the rearmost wheel (moto’s front) will significant scrub or snap. One or the other has to go. But I’m happy to be proven wrong by someone who understands engineering/physics better than I.

Edit: Looking at it again—I was assuming it doesn’t pivot, but maybe it does? If so, obviously better than not pivoting. But to acogoff’s point, I’d agree that it would still prove to be an issue putting a lot of forces on the moto’s wheel bearings, and the vertical setup would lead to extra tip over force, as opposed to a trailer that sits lower.

Yep, it pivots like a door hinge, watch the video you see me taking a turn. it pivots abut 160 degrees, so you cant jacknife it into your truck if your backup goes awry.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
If I didn’t have a 5x8 trailer set up to tow one or two bikes, I think I’d just rent one of these

Fairly inexpensive, and located through out the USA.

John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
this shows how it pivots, and then the lower/raise function

https://youtu.be/O5xqZJq--PU
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 11:42:55 AM »
this shows how it pivots, and then the lower/raise function

https://youtu.be/O5xqZJq--PU

I see now. Curious what the load weight would be. Having the rear of the bike on the chock puts a little more weight up on top, and forces caused by bumpier surfaces could put some extra pressure on the end of the chock, which appears to only be secured by the two bolts at the lateral pivot axis. Any concerns there?

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
based on my experience with machining and fabricating (not expansive, but I've done it)  and just life exposure, this thing is very overengineered.

The weak link in my limited view is that all the torsional forces go through one point...the rear axle. But again, at ninety miles an hour, with a 200 lb rider dragging a knee, what are these machines designed to withstand? And does the weight being carried with limited strain against it challenge the mechanisms? First drive I was uneasy, but I could monitor the bike while driving, and the relationship of the mirrors to the top of my bed. After travel, at speed, on curvy hairpins, I became pretty comfortable. I stopped often to check straps and never was able to tighten.

A longer journey is warranted. But so far I'm impressed. And the reviews I've read are all glowing. My experience appears to be the norm.

I plan to have this dragging a Guzzi through Dovah in July. I'll have to look you up!
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 12:23:56 PM »
I see now. Curious what the load weight would be. Having the rear of the bike on the chock puts a little more weight up on top, and forces caused by bumpier surfaces could put some extra pressure on the end of the chock, which appears to only be secured by the two bolts at the lateral pivot axis. Any concerns there?

I want more detail also. I work in an industrial setting with access to a shipping scale. Planning to get the ACTUAL to the pound wet weight of my G5, then mount it in the hitch and get the front wheel on the scale and see what, to the pound, the tongue weight is and what's riding on the front end. I don't like speculating.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 12:33:24 PM »
based on my experience with machining and fabricating (not expansive, but I've done it)  and just life exposure, this thing is very overengineered.

The weak link in my limited view is that all the torsional forces go through one point...the rear axle. But again, at ninety miles an hour, with a 200 lb rider dragging a knee, what are these machines designed to withstand? And does the weight being carried with limited strain against it challenge the mechanisms? First drive I was uneasy, but I could monitor the bike while driving, and the relationship of the mirrors to the top of my bed. After travel, at speed, on curvy hairpins, I became pretty comfortable. I stopped often to check straps and never was able to tighten.

A longer journey is warranted. But so far I'm impressed. And the reviews I've read are all glowing. My experience appears to be the norm.

I plan to have this dragging a Guzzi through Dovah in July. I'll have to look you up!

I think there's another issue you may have erroneously dismissed earlier.
The steering head is designed to take the forces of braking, bumps, or portholes at an angle that allows the suspension to compress the motion dissipating much of the forces at play.

When you reverse that angle you instead create a lever that is going to stress the steering head on impacts instead of compressing the suspension.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:38 PM »
I think there's another issue you may have erroneously dismissed earlier.
The steering head is designed to take the forces of braking, bumps, or portholes at an angle that allows the suspension to compress the motion dissipating much of the forces at play.

When you reverse that angle you instead create a lever that is going to stress the steering head on impacts instead of compressing the suspension.

I agree. But the forces are a fraction of what they are when loaded with rider/braking etc. the forks are nearly vertical, designed to take shock, and carrying maybe 300 lbs top - probably less. That is well below what they experience in use. But the facts remain, and you're not wrong. 
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 12:50:51 PM »
I've been looking at this for quite a while and am ready to buy. In my opinion, a lot of thought went into this design.

How well does your drill do when raising the bike? What size drill is it (watts, volts, model name, for example)? I might just buy the electric motor they offer, but could buy a drill instead.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »
I would not transport a MC this way it just looks inherently unstable...Just my opinion & 0.02...I could be wrong but would not do it unless it was for just a few miles...

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2022, 01:18:59 PM »
I've been looking at this for quite a while and am ready to buy. In my opinion, a lot of thought went into this design.

How well does your drill do when raising the bike? What size drill is it (watts, volts, model name, for example)? I might just buy the electric motor they offer, but could buy a drill instead.

Moto

The drill I use in the video is an old Milwaukee 18V Drill. I have a smaller Milwaukee impact and when loaded with the bike, it did the job but wanted to use the impact force. The regular drill handed it just fine.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2022, 03:52:14 PM »
Ive seen those before and they are a interesting concept. I know I wouldn't want to go far with it myself becouse of tire wear, but for just a quick two across town or something it would be handy.
Paul B

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here