Author Topic: Speedhut gauges  (Read 3804 times)

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
Speedhut gauges
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
       I've recently replaced the tac + speed-o in my 98 EV---the originals worked,now with installation of Speedhut,they don't work!
            So the problem is, there is no power to the(tac) needle movement. It lights up + looks pretty but that's it! I reconnected the original
       tac,first time it worked ,two days later with minimal cussin it wouldn't work either.Should I have it blessed by a Priest or ?????

Movin rightalong ,the speed-o does about the same, however this time I have  a little box that lights up but does not register anything(miles + stuff)
        I have  wired both gauges together +separately  Three grounds soldered. Ive spent many hours workin on it,I cannot figure it out. The FLOTATION test is the only test left
       Fuses ok, wiring ok to the unit, NO BOURBON  WAS ABUSED DURING THIS TEST-----mite I + it wasn't the cheap(GUZZI content)stuff    :thumb:    IDEAS please.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Speedhut gauges
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
What input are you using for the tach, The coil or the ECU output?

Is it a pulse input speedo or GPS type?
The pulse input type needs to be calibrated first.
If it's pulse what are you using for a speed sensor?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
  Thank you for your quick response Mr. Kiwi,for the tac Iv'e used both ecu(wire coming from ecu)(fuse)(black/yellow wire)(plug wire)at the coil ---I pressed the button afew times + it didn't work anymore.
  Speed-0 is electronic no GPS.I tried to set the pulse,had it to fast before I could play with it some more the phone rang then I could not get it back (the needle would't move).
   The tac needle is at 1k,won't move either up/down.All wires are HOT except ground   :boozing:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »
Carls 98 EV schematic shows the wrong ECU a 15M, all the 98s I have seen have a P8 so you just need to take a signal from one coil negative, it should already be there.
so we will look at the 1100i   http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1996_California_1100i.gif
See the wire picking off the coil at the top and working its way to the tach.So it puts out one pulse for two revolutions

https://www.speedhut.com/instructions/338_tachometer_instructions.pdf
Don't worry about the fancy flourescent light for now.
You have a type 1 input so connect it as they say

Try going to step 4, setting the pulses per rev to .5 Pulses per revolution

Press and hold for 5 seconds and it should save it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:11:26 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 12:13:41 AM »
I think I will do the Speedo separate that way if I screw up it will be easier to fix one at a time.

https://www.speedhut.com/instructions/speedometer_338_4_412.pdf

Oh Oh they changed the calibration procedure, it used to be on distance alone.
What method will you use for calibration?

You may have the gauge stuck half way through the calibration procedure.
Note the warning
"Attention Calibration Required - the speedometer will not operate correctly until it has been calibrated"

What are you using for a speed sensor?
 I made a simple one based on a spinning magnet to go in the gearbox cable hole, very easy, no skill required.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:46:52 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
MY ecu IS A P8,that wire from the coil(yellow/black) I had connected to but even the original tac does not work with that wire now.I believe I am getting about 13 volts from that yellow/black wire.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
MY ecu IS A P8,that wire from the coil(yellow/black) I had connected to but even the original tac does not work with that wire now.I believe I am getting about 13 volts from that yellow/black wire.
You may have disconnected it somehow, it comes straight from the coil, is it still running on both cylinders?
Note, it goes through terminal B there along the way
It's possible the wire has broken over the years with the headlight moving too and fro in which case just replace it all the way with another small wire, No 18 or similar.
Actually without the bike running you should be able to read the coil resistance from the dash through that wire

The Speedhut gauges are very flexible in what pulse they will accept
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »
I will go out to the garage to see what I can find,Ill have answer's in about an hour!   Thank yous

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
I am convinced the(two) gauges are defect,so back to the factory they go ---nothing should be this difficult to install :thewife:  I contacted Speedhut,they are mailing(??????)me paperwork +postage for return.
 Mr.Kiwi,thank you for all you do,I will do a follow up when it's time.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
I'd be surprised but you never know.

Note: If you don't get them programmed completely they won't start working.
Speedhut will make it right.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
A Speedhut GPS speedo would be far simpler to install, needs no calibration, requires no cables or sensors.  Lightweight and perfectly accurate.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 05:53:48 AM »
A Speedhut GPS speedo would be far simpler to install, needs no calibration, requires no cables or sensors.  Lightweight and perfectly accurate.

It looks like a nice unit, but "not waterproof" might be a deal breaker.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 07:04:54 AM »
Going in to my 3rd riding season on the LMIII with speedhut.i It’s worked perfectly. Sorry you’re having trouble fubilator. Mine was plug and play. Must be sum-ting-Wong
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
It looks like a nice unit, but "not waterproof" might be a deal breaker.

You simply ask them to seal the front window. Mine has been fine for years, rains and washings.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
You simply ask them to seal the front window. Mine has been fine for years, rains and washings.

Zackly!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »

Is it an option on the GPS unit?

I only ask because they don't mention it but they specify with caps and underline - Gauge is NOT waterproof

But if they will seal it I can see how it could be a nice options for some!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
In my travels, I have seen a number of these fitted to Guzzi's. They also had the chrome cover fitted on the back side so evidently there is a way to do that, which I would suppose help protect the gauge in general. I've not heard of anybody having trouble with them, and I know at least some riders have put them through the paces if you will.

Kev, yes, they will seal the bezel on any gauge upon request.

John Henry

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 10:00:36 AM »
In my travels, I have seen a number of these fitted to Guzzi's. They also had the chrome cover fitted on the back side so evidently there is a way to do that, which I would suppose help protect the gauge in general. I've not heard of anybody having trouble with them, and I know at least some riders have put them through the paces if you will.

Kev, yes, they will seal the bezel on any gauge upon request.

John Henry

I like mine on the LMIII John, having direction of travel, ACCURATE speed, both analog and digital, time, elevation,   0-60 time (slow)  :laugh: and 1/4 mile time (like a year)  :grin: is pretty cool. Even a bright/dim light!

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »
Question on the GPS version.

If you go through a tunnel or the like, from what I understand you would loose GPS signal. I may be wrong with this? Let's say the tunnel is a mile long, do you loose that mile on your odometer? Or does it add the distance from the last reading to the new reading?

Also, from boating, GPS works best at the distance in a straight line. So let's say your on a mountain road that is all switchbacks. You have traveled a few miles, but have only advanced up the hill a few hundred feet. Would it show the correct miles?

I will be going with Speedhut when my EV stock craps out. What is the correct model number for the pulse version and the number for the GPS version? Also. I know they do the face to look like a stock gauge, do they have the graphics on file? Or do you need to provide them?

Inquiring minds would like to know?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
I was thinking of getting one of their tachs to add to my California stone.. it seems most are happy with them. I hope they do good for you, and you get it all sorted out.
Paul B

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
Speedhut gauges are intended primarily for cars, and thus have no need in such applications for a "waterproof" rating.  However, if a client wants to use a Speedhut instrument on a motorcycle, it is possible to request and receive a factory sealing job which will effectively make the instrument waterproof.  There may be a modest extra charge for this service.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
Speedhut gauges are intended primarily for cars, and thus have no need in such applications for a "waterproof" rating.  However, if a client wants to use a Speedhut instrument on a motorcycle, it is possible to request and receive a factory sealing job which will effectively make the instrument waterproof.  There may be a modest extra charge for this service.

:thumb: Thanks for the info guys....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 10:19:22 PM »
Is it an option on the GPS unit?

I only ask because they don't mention it but they specify with caps and underline - Gauge is NOT waterproof

But if they will seal it I can see how it could be a nice options for some!

They will seal the GPS version.  I put one on the Ballabio I used to own.  Worked just fine.  I mounted the display option switch on the left handlebar so I could toggle through the options on the go.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
They don't guarantee it's waterproof but they do seal it, I never had a problem with mine.

For anyone contemplating the purchase of one let me give you a couple of tips.

DO Not get them to put the reset button through the glass You really only use it once

DO get them to add Guzzi graphics, it really makes a professional looking job

Most people seem to like the GPS speedo, it has a few extra features but then you have to figure out where you are going to put the antenna
I used a pulse type, made a pulse generator that sat in the old gearbox cable drive, cost me less than $1 it had no bearings, easy to make

You sort of build the look, at that stage i suggest you post it on here for others to critique.

Chamberlin and Scudd have done a very nice layout
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
 :thewife:   Both speed-o + tac were defect,they listed what was wrong but hand writing was SO bad I could't read it.They kept them 27 days + returned to me.They did not pay my return postage (13$)witch is ok ,the biggest problem was USPS+UPS,THAT was super,super BAD service.Now I've wired up the tac--its ok   :thumb:  However the speed-o I can't get the needle wright,I am really having problems.I am considering doing as brother KIWI did +connect through the trans---if its possible   :boozing:

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
Keep us posted on how you rig up the signal for the speedo, Fubar. I know I will have to go down this same road some day. The speedo on my Lemans IV is so inaccurate, I may just replace it with a speedhut, so I dont have to keep referring to the Sigma bike computer for an accurate speed reading.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »
  :popcorn:   I made a pulse generator as Kiwi suggested,I did not feel comfortable with it so I ordered a kit from Dakota digital.The kit has sae type threads and Guzzi is metric so I expected problems. I found the speed-o cable is a direct hook up to the pulse generator if you simply disconnect the speed-o and reconnect the pulse generator to it----now thats about as easy as it gets!!!-----However,the new speed-o was 11mph SLOW,I naturally assumed the speed-o cable had enough resistance to make the o-meter not accurate, so I removed the speed-o cable completely and attached the pulse generator directly to the speed-o nipple on the transmission(VERY difficult).I live on a 4 lane highway,there is radar set to moniter(your)speed,thats what I use to check my speed.AT 60 mph the radar says 71??????? :evil:   so I assume I have to program the Speed Hut speed-o.---Mr.Kiwi,I need your help-----AGAIN    :bow:

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
 :thewife:  Yesterday I spent the afternoon typing a reply to update my last post above,it was long and I lost it into cyber space   :boozing:  Bigbiker,you asked for a followup----that was it!! Theres no way in hell I'm going through that again. My # is 402 324 5001 anyone may call, I'll be more than happy to explain every detail+my opinion???  :thumb: 

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 02:13:12 PM »
I've just put a pair onto a Sport 1100 and apart from the fiendish amount of wiring involved it was fine

My tacho does behave a little oddly but I think that's due to noise (when you sound the horn the needle jumps round to close to full scale). The tacho (wired type) also sits at 1k when the ignition is switched off but drops to zero if you activate the kill switch, I have no clue why. It's not a deal breaker for me because as soon as the bike is fired up it all works like it should.

The Speedo was a real PIA to calibrate on the road and took me several attempts, after it calibrated it dropped to zero and I thought what now!! After a few seconds the needle jumped back up and it started working.

With mine there was no pulse count involved, you set the speedo up to the speed you want to calibrate too, run it on a road with a GPS to use a cal source press the button it said learning or something then the nneedle dropped to 0, a few seconds later it came back up and matched the GPS pretty closely. I have yet to test it at a good speed yet to ensure it's truly linear

I have the button throught the glass on the speedo as it zeros the odometer, but yes it would have been better if I had the rremote button set up intead. The tacho only uses the button for setup

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here