Author Topic: new 1400 touring  (Read 1311 times)

Offline beardog

• Gosling
new 1400 touring
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:42:14 AM »
Hello all
   I am considering purchasing a 2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 touring. Never titled fair price I believe. Is there anything I should know about this bike any flaws or something I should look for. This forum is a great source of knowledge.  Thanks
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

elvisboy77

Re: new 1400 touring
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:08:03 AM »
Congrats!  I am sure others will chime in, but also use the search function, it's great.  You will love that bike!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:27 AM »
I have a 2015 that I've had for a year now. It had 2700 miles when I got it and has 5K now. It's a great bike as it is comfortable on long days, handles good for a 760lb cruiser, and will put down much bigger twins when play time with your buddies happen:)
Negatives- it follows the Guzzi tradition with little to no accessories from the factory or aftermarket. Little to no dealer support, in my area anyhow.
The only issue I have experienced was a TPS sensor went out at 3K. After a battle with that issue, no other issues.
As far as the TPS failure, if it occurred now it would be a simple fix but not cheap as that sensor is around 450 bucks new:(.
I think you'll like the 1400 tourer is you like that style of motorcycle and ridding position. Good luck!!

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:51 AM »
Hi Beardog,                                                                                                                                3-20-19

I have a '15 and a '17 Cali 1400 Tour.  The '17 is a bit more sophisticated...bet ter cruise, adjustable shocks, etc.  I've mentioned this on this site before, MG has not and probably will not make heated grips for it.  The bars are an odd size (1 1/8") and I have not found satisfactory aftermarket heated grips for it.  I have resorted to heated glove liners and they work fine.  It's a great machine for me, it fits my body size, posture and needs.  Like NCDan says, you'll never feel lacking for performance.

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:51 AM »

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
I have a 2014 MG1400 Touring. Its been love since the first ride. No major issues, comfortable, handles great, When you twist the grip the goose goes quickly. It's most happy in the 3000 to 4000 rpm normal operating range. After you get her broke in good I challenge you to start off in first and second gears as normal when you shift into 3rd peg it (TWIST the GRIP) to almost red line you will be shocked when you hit 4000 and above to almost red line. I'll guarantee you'll have a great big smile on your face. These bikes are surprisingly quick. As far as tires I will report that after the dunlop's tires from factory wore out (quickly I might add) I chose Avon Cobras and I'll swear on my mama's grave I've gotten over 11K on them before feeling the need to replace them. My 2 cents. Enjoy your bike. bobbyfromnc
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:26:09 AM by bobbyfromnc »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
Hello all
   I am considering purchasing a 2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 touring. Never titled fair price I believe. Is there anything I should know about this bike any flaws or something I should look for. This forum is a great source of knowledge.  Thanks

If you haven't bought that one yet, I have a virtually new 2017 2-tone red 1400 with 4,400 miles and a year warranty remaining - listed in the "swap meet" and in St. Louis Craigslist at $10,900.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:32:41 AM by kballowe »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
From what owners have reported here, those bikes have been reliable.  Having test ridden many touring Vtwin bikes, I find the riding experience to be the best.  I've considered getting one myself. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »
I've mentioned this on this site before, MG has not and probably will not make heated grips for it.  The bars are an odd size (1 1/8") and I have not found satisfactory aftermarket heated grips for it.  I have resorted to heated glove liners and they work fine. 

My '14 has the factory heated grips. Do they not fit later years? what's the difference?
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Lcarlson

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
My '14 has the factory heated grips. Do they not fit later years? what's the difference?

Mine too.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
Hi all,                                                                                                                                                                                                   3-20-19

To address the heated grips issue... in 2017 MG changed the design of their grips and wiring loom to accommodate recent upgrades, Euro4, new cruise control, new ride by wire, multi media platform, etc.  As a result, the older version of the heated grips (I have them on my '15), no longer fit and are not a direct plug in for the '17 wiring.  Since they don't sell a ton of Cali 1400's it is doubtful that MG will design and manufacture heated grips for the newer models.  I hope I'm mistaken.  As  said, I gave up on the grips and went to heated glove liners.  They work

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 06:27:46 PM »
I have a 2014 custom model I added bags and top box to. I now have over 40,000 on it now and it runs better with more miles.  No problems with it.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:55:42 AM »
Hi Beardog,                                                                                                                                                   3-21-19

I just want to share something I found to be true about by two Cali 1400's.  They both ran strong, right off the showroom floor.  However, after about 3,000 miles I noticed something.  The power was even better, the shifting was even smoother, the braking was even stronger...basicall y every mechanical system came into its own.  I guess what I'm saying is that both needed that break in period to show their real potential.  If you do buy the Cali expect it to get even better with age!

Be well,
DougG

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
If you haven't bought that one yet, I have a virtually new 2017 2-tone red 1400 with 4,400 miles and a year warranty remaining - listed in the "swap meet" and in St. Louis Craigslist at $10,900.

Kevin

Your Cali in your For Sale picture is stunning. Well worth saving that picture as computer wallpaper. I hope your sale goes quickly at your full asking price. It's a real beauty!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:51:04 PM by TN Mark »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here