Author Topic: Royal Enfields  (Read 21295 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Royal Enfields
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
I am often tempted by Sportsters and Enfields because I am attracted to simplicity.  When I read the Enfield ads which regularly appear on my local craigslist, I am always struck by the low mileage - I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Enfield for sale with more than 5000 miles.  Is this because, simplicity aside, they are just crappy bikes, and no one can tolerate them for more than a few thousand miles? 

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Royal Enfields
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
Not sure about RE's, but my Suzuki Savage was a 650 single which made it wonderful for short 1-2 hr runs but not so tempting for longer trips; perhaps the RE share a similar use pattern.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:33:11 PM »
I had a brand new 2014 Re bullet. Black with silver pinstripes ( all the stripes are hand painted btw) super cool.  I put a Lycette seat and authentic front plate on it.  SUPER fun and cool “ burger bike” you cannot get on the busy highways of Dallas Fort Worth on this machine.  You’ll get run over.  Way too buzzzzzy at those speeds.  That said their good bikes.  Tons of character and great in town. If I could have a fleet of different bikes I absolutely would buy another. 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:34:12 PM by Gusable »
1994 California 1100

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
I had a 2012 C5 Bullet the I bought as a new leftover when a dealer dropped the line for $3,500 OTD tax, tax tags and insurance included. I never bough tit as a keeper it was too cheap to pass up. I put 1,000 miles on it and sold it a few months later.

My take away was:

1. My C5 Bullet was silky smooth up to 75 MPH indicated. I also found out RE's are like fingerprints. No 2 are alike. One may vibrate like crazy at 55 while the one setting next to it (same year, model) will not vibrate. Ergos are cramped but comfortable enough.
2. The 500cc motor is super pleasurable for 2 lane back roads and got around 70 MPG and had hydraulic lifters that never needed adjusted. How Guzzi screwed up this 100+ year old technology but RE can get it right boggles the mind
3. Brakes do a decent job
4. Fit and finnish are light years better than pre UCE models but still a bit crude. I had to spend some time bending fenders and fender stays so they were centered over the rear wheel. Welds are crude.
5. RE's are overpirced at or near MSRP. At or around 1/2 of MSRP is where they should be priced.
6. If you think Guzzi have piss poor resale on the secondary market you've never tried to sell and RE.The vast majority of "potential" buyers that contacted me were Indian and would make ridiculously low offers and be quick to tell you that in India that is what they can buy them for. As you can imagine the conversations degraded quickly from there. One guy was upset because I wouldnt take something like $1,200 and deliver it several hundred miles away.

In short I liked not loved the RE. I'd own another but it would have to be for a price that even an Indian though I got a great deal. I also would not buy anythign pre-UCE as it is sub-par in build quality and relibility.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 06:27:03 AM »
people buy enfields as toys , and loose interest.
I loved mine , used it as daily transport for years.
once properly fettled they are dead reliable, they will just need more maintenance than a honda.
so  if you like a back road tourer or around town. and dont mind doing some maintenance, go for it ( or buy a nuovo falcone)
if you enjoy highways ,or are in a hurry yours will end up on graigslist too :-)

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 07:07:23 AM »
I want one.   A Himalayan actually.  I'm getting the same feeling about getting an RE as I had when I wanted to get my first Guzzi.  There's something about the simple and bulletproof-ish look that draws me in.  (like our first Breva 1100)

From what I've read about them recently, it seems like they're trying to make a resurgence of sorts, so I'm not sure what the build quality is from past years.  It looks like the last couple years have come at the time of improvement.
From all the various Youtube vids and magazine (what that?) articles that I've gleaned, guys seem to be riding the heck out of them.  Their appeal to me is the simplicity and that they've been overbuilt and understressed.   I'm hoping that the Himi gets a 650 motor in the next model year though.   The 411cc bike is probably good enough for solo, but for any extended interstate riding, I'd prefer the 650.  I might not be able to wait!!!!  For the price they're asking,  I might have to get one now....and one later!   Buy 2 Himilayans w/accessories or 1 V85....or put a downpayment on a GS.   When it's all said and done,  I want a bike that stirs my heart and makes me smile when I see it.  I don't care if it doesn't have 1000 hp and more wiring than the ISS.  ....or it doesn't have to have a dozen riding modes either.  But that's my opinion. 
*I wonder if the RE dash would fit my Breva - just in case!  (kidding)

They have 90 dealers in The States, and are trying to up that to 120.  It also looks like they're trying to maintain some level of build quality during assembly (if I'm to believe interviews and reviews).  Heck....maybe they'll actually not be stingy with grease in the suspension linkages  :evil:

I currently have a dealer one within 1 hour away now...and my nearest Guzzi dealer has extended to 2 hours away.   Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure what all the Italian sisters in the garage are going to think about this....

**I read an article that stated how many bikes they sold worldwide..  Can't remember the actual numbers,  but daaaangggggg!
richy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:16:36 PM by rdbandkab »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 07:26:09 AM »
I think because its not a large investment and some of the buyers are not what I would call motorbike folks and are just curious and soon lose interest.

Its probably the same for seasoned moto folks as well, just give it a go and see. You get what you pay for and can't expect the lower cost machine to measure up to the more refined and costly ones.

I have been riding an RE where I work and although its a 350( not even electric start) it is quite capable and they have been reliable.. all three.

I wouldn't mind giving the new 650 a go in the states even thought it has a 270 crank ugh!

I think it is the opposite.  All of the RE owners I know have many bikes at their disposal and the RE is a novelty bike.  Same goes for the ural sidecar rigs.  They just get used for a Sunday ride, or a pop down to the store. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:33:44 AM »
Just did a CL search and found only one with over 5000 miles.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/herndon-royal-enfield-bullet-500cc/6804229859.html

I'm fascinated by them, too.  Especially the Himalayan but the other ones are also interesting.  I had no idea that some had hydraulic valves. 

And the UCE bit-- when did they take over?  Sounds like it would be worthwhile to look for a UCE bike if one were to go shopping for a used RE.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »
Red Ember ((Daytona Beach)owner Justin got rid of RE due to corp.BS and crappy motorbikes. He still sells Vespa's and does very good. Buy a clean used Bonny with carbs

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
A friend of mine had a RE 500 Bullet...and he modified the rear sprocket to run at highway speeds. and he flogged it regularly...but after 20,000 miles, he burned a hole in the piston, and that was that... Here is my friend Steve on his RE in 2016 on the way to the Guzzi Rally in Datil.  Made it there and back, no issues that year, about 750 miles round-trip. :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

"Made Like A Gun..." well, maybe not... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:   He sold it to another friend, and was rebuilt and is back "In The Wind" again.  It is a coffee shop now, and seen on Sunday's regularly in downtown Glibert, AZ...  :thumb: :thumb:

...and here it is today...all rebuilt and "In The Wind" once again!

I think the quality has improved over the years,...and Royal Enfiled is now the LARGEST motorcycle manufacturer in the world, However, I still don't believe the quality is at the same level at any of The Big Four from Japan, but that's just MHO.

I like the Himalayan, and would like to see the new 650's in person.  For a little more money, one could own a basic Triumph Bonneville Black or Street Twin.

In India, and other parts of the world, they are used regularly for utilitarian purposes and not so much for recreational fun. :cool: :smiley: :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:28:14 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »
Red Ember ((Daytona Beach)owner Justin got rid of RE due to corp.BS and crappy motorbikes. He still sells Vespa's and does very good. Buy a clean used Bonny with carbs

The Bonnies are nice.  Reliable, good-looking, and comfortable.  They also bore me to tears.  Remind me of old Beemer airheads.  I own an airhead and it's a great bike but it never has been and never will be exciting.  The Bonnie is definitely a smarter choice than the RE but me and smart aren't always compatible when it comes to bikes. . . and women. . .  and alcohol. . .  and money. . .  and I'll run out of internet ink if I keep up with this list. . .

The REs are interesting to me 'cause I like big singles and light weight.   

He lost the run of himself.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »
Red Ember ((Daytona Beach)owner Justin got rid of RE due to corp.BS

Sounds familiar.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »
I think because its not a large investment and some of the buyers are not what I would call motorbike folks and are just curious and soon lose interest.

Its probably the same for seasoned moto folks as well, just give it a go and see. You get what you pay for and can't expect the lower cost machine to measure up to the more refined and costly ones.

I have been riding an RE where I work and although its a 350( not even electric start) it is quite capable and they have been reliable.. all three.

I wouldn't mind giving the new 650 a go in the states even thought it has a 270 crank ugh!

I'm curious about your last thought. XS650 Yamaha guys are spending good bucks to go to a 270 degree crank. Claim is smoother?
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 10:49:44 AM »

That's pretty much what I said in my post, read it again.

(Sounds like you know personally a bunch of RE owners!a couple at least!)

:-)

Maybe, maybe not.  I didn't lose interest in my '10 Cafe Classic.  I just needed the room for my '18 Carbon.  Most of us have either limited space or get tired of paying $$ to register and insure items we aren't using regularly.  Your post didn't really mention people having REs as part of a collection of bikes.

We have a local dealer who sells them alongside Yamaha and Kawasaki.  They are retro cool looking.  The single has a lot of character.   :cool: 

I haven't been offered a ride yet, and I don't ask.  Of course I never offered anyone a ride on my Moto Guzzi(s) either. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
Of course I never offered anyone a ride on my Moto Guzzi(s) either.

I have. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
https://wp.me/s4BYyI-essence 

RE Current view.

The above from a long time bmw guy who writes for a few publications regarding motorcycles.  R3~

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »

RE Current view.

The above from a long time bmw guy who writes for a few publications regarding motorcycles.  R3~

Sounds like he is quite enamored with it..

My inner lightbulb came on brightly when I ratcheted up the aggression level, and started to really give the twin the full berries — Harris Performance’s racing pedigree was on full display here – absolutely wail on the bike, and it settles down completely. Apex late, turn in harder, open the throttle more and sooner and the INT comes into its own, able to adjust and even tighten up lines mid-corner with no drama. I had underestimated this motorcycle, and it taught me something.

Pretty impressive, if true, on a low dollar bike like this..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 01:23:34 AM »
Here in Germany they sell the classic Bullet for 1500,- to 2000,- Euros more than the Himalayan! The new twins are only marginally more expensive than the Bullet / Classic series. And that is ridiculous. Don´t get me wrong, especially the Himalayan could easily be my second bike in the garage, and if I were in the market for "the" bike for me today the Interceptor 650 would be an extremely strong contender for the V7 III. But they try to fleece people with the Classics here.

And of course RE is not the biggest maker in the world. They sell the most bikes between 250 and 750 ccm (or so they claim). The biggest worldwide should still be Honda.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »
Here in Germany they sell the classic Bullet for 1500,- to 2000,- Euros more than the Himalayan! The new twins are only marginally more expensive than the Bullet / Classic series. And that is ridiculous. Don´t get me wrong, especially the Himalayan could easily be my second bike in the garage, and if I were in the market for "the" bike for me today the Interceptor 650 would be an extremely strong contender for the V7 III. But they try to fleece people with the Classics here.

And of course RE is not the biggest maker in the world. They sell the most bikes between 250 and 750 ccm (or so they claim). The biggest worldwide should still be Honda.

Maybe more research is required... :laugh: :grin: :wink:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:03:24 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 06:13:48 AM »
I've ridden the 500 single.  Never thought it was anything other than a slow back roads putt-putt.  Plenty of fun to be sure but in no way capable of modern performance.  That's NOT bad-it does need to be acknowledged and accepted for, IMO, the best riding experience.  Several extended stints and the feeling was there is no way the 500 will run at 65 all day.  I'd imagine given where the bike is made and sold that is not in the design sheet.

The 650's, which I've seen and poured over two times now ( no ride yet, dang) look to be wonderful elemental motorbikes.  As R/E raided a good portion of their talent from Triumph including Simon Warbartten (spelling, I'm sure), it's no surprise that the bike is getting compared to the new(ish) Bonnies and getting very good press worldwide.  Whatever you may thing of the new Bonneville, it's been a huge success for Triumph and that crew has brought what they know to R/E.  The Harris chassis is another winner by all consensus and has been favorably reviewed by no less than Sir Alan Cathcart.  Good enough for me as very few worldwide have his credibility.

I'd be flat out shocked if they don't sell a ton of them at right around the 6K mark (give or take a few hundred for paint options and GT version).
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »

RE Current view.

Greg lives just over the ridge from me in Frederick County, MD. Bumped into him once while test riding a customer's Eldo. His review makes me want an INT 650 even more - something I haven't felt for any new motorcycle since... um... 1993?
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
Greg lives just over the ridge from me in Frederick County, MD. Bumped into him once while test riding a customer's Eldo. His review makes me want an INT 650 even more - something I haven't felt for any new motorcycle since... um... 1993?

07 for me.. (Norge) but yeah. It really looks like something I'd like if I were in the market.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 01:54:14 PM »
Just turned 80 last month and the new RE 650's are on my bucket list.  They take me back to what I rode in the '50s and '60s with modern upgrades. (Lights, brakes, EFI, & electronic ignition)

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
I would favor a Kawasaki W650 over a RE650. I like the W's engine and known reliability, and I will speculate, better performance.
Kirk

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
I would favor a Kawasaki W650 over a RE650. I like the W's engine and known reliability, and I will speculate, better performance.

I would too, if it were still available and was priced like the INT 650. The US market 2019 W800 "drops the ball" in many ways.
Charlie

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
I would too, if it were still available and was priced like the INT 650. The US market 2019 W800 "drops the ball" in many ways.

Really?  What ball was dropped? ...........
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »
The 2019 M800 has an MSRP of almost $10K.  That's a bit steep when compared to the RE.  More so when you consider that the M800 has been in production since the dawn of time and all development or tooling costs have been recouped.  I think that RE might be the right bike to bring new riders to the market.  The 650 is a bike capable of real touring, RE has a long history, and the bike is affordable.  The only problem is that RE is an unknown for anyone under about 60. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 05:50:18 AM »

I think the quality has improved over the years,...and Royal Enfiled is now the LARGEST motorcycle manufacturer in the world, However, I still don't believe the quality is at the same level at any of The Big Four from Japan, but that's just MHO.

The current quality of RE and the Asian big 4 are certainly comparable. Just not the decade/s they were manufacture in..  Any 2019 RE has the same build quality of anything the Asian big 4 produced in the 1960/70's
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 06:40:28 AM »
The current quality of RE and the Asian big 4 are certainly comparable. Just not the decade/s they were manufacture in..  Any 2019 RE has the same build quality of anything the Asian big 4 produced in the 1960/70's

But you happen to know that RE´s are not longer built in a Mandello-like shed but in a big, highly automatized modern factory?
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
But you happen to know that RE´s are not longer built in a Mandello-like shed but in a big, highly automatized modern factory?

RE’s been modernizing for years but that doesn’t mean they hold extreme tolerance use top of the line materials/metallurgy  or have an award winning quality control.

I’ve had expired few with RE’s made in these new facilities. Yes the quality is better that the pre UCE stuff but it’s not 1st rate manufacture buy a long shot.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here