Author Topic: Cal Vin help on factory tank bag.....please  (Read 2225 times)

Tom Hansen

Cal Vin help on factory tank bag.....please
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:23:53 PM »
I don't want to f/u my beautiful pearl white paint so I need to pick the brain of anyone who has the black and white factory tank bag for the CalVin.

This thing comes with a cut-out white plastic "sheet" that goes between the bag and the tank.  Apparently, too, the forward and rear "hooties" that secure the bag to the tank with adjustable belts, have  a stick-on glue strip that (maybe) glues to the plastic sheet. Instructions are not spot-on for the plastic sheet or the glue strips.

It is a beautiful bag and I want to use it.  However I've never seen the likes of the installation and could really use some advice.

Tom Hansen

Re: Cal Vin help on factory tank bag.....please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
Bump....   I am having a hard time thinking no one has this bag.  Bump just so another group of board members will take a look and help me with this problem.

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I'll give you another bump.
I love my CalVin and wish I had an answer for you but the tank bag I chose was a nice aftermarket magnetic one.
But I'll say it's hard to imagine you'd have to glue the straps down.
Why not call the fine folks who you ordered it from?
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
I bought my CalVin with a tank bag.  Factory, I assume.  It had straps and a foam pad.  It has been off for a while, and I forgot the details.

I'll see if I can describe it's set-up better, but first must go look at the parts.

May take a little time.  Got to kill bud worms on Petunias - you know, important stuff.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »
As is true -- sigh -- of nearly all of my suggestions, this is of no direct help as to that particular bag.

But, if your (quite understandable) concern is protecting the finish from abrasion, etc., you might consider, without regard to whatever fix you come up with WRT straps and plastic sheet (and the latter is, I suspect, pretty worthless), using a microfiber cloth between the bag and tank.

I do that with the several tank bags I have, and especially for the EV and its metal tank.

Buon fortuna!

Bill

Offline ssdeguerra

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »
I have the tank bag. I used the plastic which is shaped to the bag to cut out a black microfiber rag. I also cut out in the same shape that liner used in kitchen drawers so things do not slide around. Both worked well on extensive rides. No dust beneath the material and tank.

Tom Hansen

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Thanks to all.  I figured it out and am reasonably satisfied. The "white plastic"  turned out to be a removable clear plastic sheet and it is OK for now.  The front flap attaches with two small screws already present on the Vintage.  Just a matter of removing the screws, placing the flap in the right position and replacing the screws.  There is, however a velcro glue-on strip at the forward edge of the fuel tank. I went ahead and used it as I figured I'd never ride without the tankbag.

The rear flap, toward the saddle, fits over the seat tabs, requiring the seat to be removed.  No big deal.
This flap also has the velcro glue-on strip just at the forward point of the saddle.  Used again, for the same reason as cited above.

I'm not used to tankbags having no padding underneath though.  Your suggestions on microfiber cloth and drawer lining are much appreciated and will be put to use.

Thanks again.

This thread can die now.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
I would speculate that my black re-paint is less forgiving than your white paint. With that in mind, I have had little trouble with mine as long as it's kept clean. The problem with that is setting it down one time inattentively could hash up a nice tank after a single ride.

I like ssdeguerra's micro fibre gig.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here