General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V7Sport out of dormancy

<< < (10/11) > >>

Roy gardner:

--- Quote from: Frenchy on June 01, 2021, 02:20:07 AM ---Out of curiosity, roughly how much was your restoration. I will hopefully begin a restoration on a V7 soon.  I need to know if sending my wife for a trip to the spa will suffice, or if i am sending her on a Caribbean trip before telling her how much $ i am going to spend on restoring the bike.

My step dad owns a 1972 V7 Sport, bought it new.  Hes all ready said that when he passes away, It will become mine. Unfortunately / fortunately, it doesnt look like hes going anywhere soon.

Sadly the bike has been parked for 15 years, It was running great when he last used it. But now it definitely need some love.   I am trying to sweet talk him into giving it to me now.  I plan on doing a full restoration. Paint, chrome, Motor.... The works.  Getting raid of the honda fairing he installed way back when is at the top of my list.

Also, any leads on where I can get a light bucket and turn signal for the bike? That would be greatly appreciated. After nearly 50 years.... His are long gone.

--- End quote ---

I restored mine 30 years ago, my costs are not relevant. However, your chrome costs are likely to exceed the cost of sending your wife for a spa!  :grin:
That is a solid, unmolested example, restoration will be relatively easy. Do not throw away those rear shocks, they are rebuildable, have the shock rebuilder set them to full hard damping while he has the springs off. Also, warn the plater if you send the bottom spring collars for replating, that they are zinc, use the correct stripper or he will dissolve them!
Start now, some parts are getting hard to find, where on here did I see a reference to buying V7Sport Gilardoni barrel kits, they are hard to find right now, & you will need a set, the chrome will be knackered. The Silentium mufflers will probably be unchromable, start looking for new ones, or Lafranconis while they are still around.
The headlight bucket is same as a Benelli 650 Tornado, start looking.  :laugh: They turn up on fleabay, be prepared to send your wife for another spa!
It looks like 2 of the indicators are still attached to the Craven pannier rack. They were Lucas.
What is the frame number of that one? Mine came from Canada in 1976, it is VK32198. That one, I'm guessing, is 1973, LH change, badges on tank? I would love to know if the LH change is 1 up, or 1 down? Did the factory change the selector drum, or did they just fit the LH levers and linkages?
Before rushing stuff off to the paint shop, try polishing it. It doesn't look too bad. Try to keep it as original as possible. Even the seat looks OK from the outside. Carefully peel off the foam, sand blast the steel pan, it might be reclaimable. I wouldn't glass bead the alloy either, use prunis, walnut shell, followed by scrubbing with hot water, laundry powder & scotchbrite, it will look like new, not like it's been "restored" Ciao.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
As Roy posted, the Benelli 650S bucket and rim are the same, as are those for the (US) Morini 3 1/2. The Benelli bucket is painted, not chromed though. Showing as available at https://www.benelliparts.de/ . I just bought one needing rechroming - not inexpensive.

As far as signals - the US V7 Sport used Lucas signals. Jim Carey (cunuck750 here) sent me a bunch of "tabs" and I made my own mounting stems for the front, then had them chromed. https://flic.kr/p/2i8bxVH . The rear mounting brackets are just a zig-zag piece of flat steel, reproductions are available from MG Cycle. https://flic.kr/p/2i9Gn5p . New Lucas signals (genuine or reproduction) mount differently than the originals, so I tapped the plastic bodies to 7/16"-14 as original, drilled studs hollow and used s.s. nuts and washers.

V7 Sport Gilardoni cylinder kits are currently available, so it might be a good idea to grab a pair soon.
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=2766

Canuck750:
I made up a batch of reproduction front and rear V7 Sport signal mounts / stalks, I have extra water jet cut tear drop tabs that you need to weld a hollow tube stem to for the front and tap it for the light stub, also have water jet cut rear tabs the you fold in a vise, if you can use the tabs pm me and I will mail you some

Turin:

--- Quote ---Quote from: Turin on May 31, 2021, 10:29:43 PM
I thought Guzzi used Chrome moly, not T45.  Those thin tubed frames ( Telio Rosso ) were only the very first bikes.

I bought some BS4 T45 to repair my Sidlow frame, and had to have it shipped to the US. Great material !

No, that is another of the mistaken "folklore" stories. There is a tendency for the American driven press to use the expression "chrome molly" because it is an American material and it becomes common international vernacular and that's what we hear and believe.

Along with the "150 Telaio Rosso frames were thin walled tube". Per my previous post, there is credible information that can be found on this forum, with a bit of searching, which indicates that all Sport frames are thin walled. I measured the tail ends of my frame tubes where they are crushed together, and compared them with my T, Convert & LM frames, definitely thinner than the touring frames & mine is dated Dec 72, for 73 market, well outside the "150 Telaio Rosso" range.
To further back this up; I'm guessing you imported T45 because your local 4130 tube is made in inch sizes which dont match your metric T45 frame sizes?
One of my sons, who makes rally car roll cages, brought it to my attention that that 4130 is in inches, T45 is millimeter sizes.
--- End quote ---

I imported the T45 because that is what Andy used and didn't want to mix materials. I did a lot of reading. My tubing came from GB and came in 1" or 25.4mm and slightly smaller diameter than what was existing and snugly slides in with a little sanding. Didn't se any in metric sizes. 

It makes perfect sense that Guzzi would use a euro spec material instead of chrome moly.

Frenchy:
Tonight, I was able to talk go my step dad into giving me his bike, making me the second owner. All it took is a promise to let him ride it first once the restoration is completed....  A very fair trade.
Its likely going to be a next year project. frame number 33532

--- Quote from: Roy gardner on June 01, 2021, 03:35:25 AM ---I restored mine 30 years ago, my costs are not relevant. However, your chrome costs are likely to exceed the cost of sending your wife for a spa!  :grin:
That is a solid, unmolested example, restoration will be relatively easy. Do not throw away those rear shocks, they are rebuildable, have the shock rebuilder set them to full hard damping while he has the springs off. Also, warn the plater if you send the bottom spring collars for replating, that they are zinc, use the correct stripper or he will dissolve them!
Start now, some parts are getting hard to find, where on here did I see a reference to buying V7Sport Gilardoni barrel kits, they are hard to find right now, & you will need a set, the chrome will be knackered. The Silentium mufflers will probably be unchromable, start looking for new ones, or Lafranconis while they are still around.
The headlight bucket is same as a Benelli 650 Tornado, start looking.  :laugh: They turn up on fleabay, be prepared to send your wife for another spa!
It looks like 2 of the indicators are still attached to the Craven pannier rack. They were Lucas.
What is the frame number of that one? Mine came from Canada in 1976, it is VK32198. That one, I'm guessing, is 1973, LH change, badges on tank? I would love to know if the LH change is 1 up, or 1 down? Did the factory change the selector drum, or did they just fit the LH levers and linkages?
Before rushing stuff off to the paint shop, try polishing it. It doesn't look too bad. Try to keep it as original as possible. Even the seat looks OK from the outside. Carefully peel off the foam, sand blast the steel pan, it might be reclaimable. I wouldn't glass bead the alloy either, use prunis, walnut shell, followed by scrubbing with hot water, laundry powder & scotchbrite, it will look like new, not like it's been "restored" Ciao.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version