General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Bernie's Budget Beast (SP1000)

<< < (2/15) > >>

berniebee:

--- Quote from: aproud1 on May 16, 2020, 06:42:13 PM ---Quite a project Bernie. Look forward to seeing the progress. Best of luck to you and your knuckles!

--- End quote ---

Thanks.

berniebee:

--- Quote from: Stu on May 16, 2020, 04:28:37 PM ---Hi Bernie... nice project. I'm also not restoring my Guzzi, a 76 T3... bought as a running bike, but standing for the last 30 years. I imagine we'll be dealing with lots of similar issues!

Rode mine today for the first time... not very successfully but after having the heads off, it's a milestone!

--- End quote ---

Yes, probably we will be seeing a lot of the same things, since it appears that Guzzi shared a lot of parts over many models and years.

berniebee:

--- Quote from: rutgery on May 17, 2020, 04:08:24 AM ---Nice project! Do you know why the bike was crabbed before you bought it? Weird that your bearing carrier of the rear wheel expaned when pushing the bearing in?
The paint on the wheels look extremely good, is the rest of the paintwork in simmilar state?

--- End quote ---

It was crabbed for a clutch replacement- and the previous owner gave me new clutch plates, transmission input hub and a few seals too. Yes, it was weird that the bearing carrier expanded. I had checked the new bearing OD before installing it, (because I bought inexpensive Chinese made roller bearings.) and it was identical to the old bearing.  The new bearing wasn't particularly hard to put in, because I froze the bearing and heated the bearing carrier. So I'm not sure why this happened. Luckily, I posted a "help wanted" ad in a local online website and a fellow biker/machinist answered the same day! He's going to correct the issue with his lathe.

About the condition of the wheels, it was a lucky positioning of the camera. There are several areas where the wheel paint has come off and there a few fairly deep gouges here and there. I did spend a lot of time cleaning them, so they look ok from a distance. The rest of the bike could use a repaint.  The plastic front fender paint has faded and some has chipped away, the tank has a couple of minor dents and scuffed/ faded paint and one of the side cover's colours doesn't match the rest of the bike. It is definitely from another bike and it is missing the black plastic grill. But the rear fender is very nice!  :laugh:      40,000 miles/70,000 kms on it.

berniebee:
Continuing with the wheels:Luck was with me.

A kind soul responded to my "Help, someone with lathe needed" ad on my local online site (Kijiji) the very same day I posted. A fellow biker and a machinist (Geez, where would you find those anywhere? :grin:) he had my sleeve ready a couple of days later.

So:

Sleeve in and install clip:

Shove the six disk bolts through:

Install the cush rubbers. Then lube the sleeve and and cush plate just like the factory did LOL, judging from the head stock bearings and this cush drive,
Italy must have experienced a national grease shortage in '83.

What the hell, the cush plate won't go in!

But with ArmorAll on the cush rubbers and couple of clamps, the cush plate easily slid in. And bonus,  I've got the best looking cush rubbers in town. :rolleyes:

Install the fiber ring and retaining plate with three new bolts, (Because they were all reluctant to come out, one broke off, and I had to drill and re-tap the hole.
Yes, I ran the tap in the other two holes for good measure.)

Installed all the disks and voila! This baby is ready to roll! Well after I reassemble the rest of the bike, that is.

Canuck750:
Nice work on the wheels :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version