Author Topic: V11 EV oil change fun  (Read 5992 times)

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
V11 EV oil change fun
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
I brought this bike home in January 2012.  Since then I assembled it to see what I had.  I picked up parts on eBay and other than that,it has just been taking up space.  A couple of days before Christmas I got after it and got it running.  On Friday, I bought insurance and a tag.  Now, I'm doing all of the servicing.  18 bolts to change the filter inside the oil pan, really?  The local parts store had the correct Wix filter on the shelf.  Nice!  They had a Wix fuel filter the next day as well.  OK, the final drive oil was easy enough to do.  Then the transmission.  Are you kidding?  I removed the exhaust system.  That made it easy.  I pushed the drain pan against the center stand.  The oil drained onto the floor.  I've heard about Italian engineering being this way, but this is the first I've experienced it first hand.

I did have another excuse to pull the exhaust, so I didn't hesitate long before doing it.  Is that what you folks do every time you change the gearbox oil?  Or, do you just drain the oil onto the crossover and burn it off?  Or, maybe as my PO probably did, and just never change the oil?  I filled it with Royal Purple 75W140.  That will hold it at least 8K miles.

BTW, that is a lovely exhaust.  I love it!  Anyway, I'll be riding the MG as long as it allows.

Ciao!
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V11 EV oil change fun
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »
Do yourself a favor and get yourself an H-Pipe crossover.  Makes it possible to drain the tranny oil with it in place.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
cover the crossover with a piece of tin foil and let the gear lube run over that to the pan.

as far as the 18 bolts getting to the oil filter, sorry but that's where the dirty oil is, to me it make a lot of sense locating the filter where it will do the best job.
also, you don't have to change the filter at each oil change, it can still filter thru 2 or 3 oil changes.
there is an outsider option for the filter, check Harpers MG..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
oh, and be careful not to strip the threads on any of those 18 bolts.. use the right size tool for the job not some 1/2 inch socket wrench with a long (leverage) handle.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
Yes the filter is in the sump. Yes I have a Honda here with the filter in the block. The Honda takes me about twice as long to do an oil change.

What year is your EV? On later models, starting around 2000, they put a drain in the rear transmission cover. Between about 1994 and 1999, I put foil over the 'third muffler' and drain it over the foil. Before that they had a simply H pipe. If you like 'flatulent pipes', get a simple H pipe that gives easy access to it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:58:39 AM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »
cover the crossover with a piece of tin foil and let the gear lube run over that to the pan.

Good idea, but the oil will still miss the pan.  I'll also have to work the formula for an extension on the torque wrench.  So, if I want to be sure I used the proper torque, I have to do math.  I might hurt my brain.  BTW, I do like how the service manual specifies lube torque.  Many folks don't realize torque specs are for clean dry threads unless otherwise specified.

as far as the 18 bolts getting to the oil filter, sorry but that's where the dirty oil is, to me it make a lot of sense locating the filter where it will do the best job.
also, you don't have to change the filter at each oil change, it can still filter thru 2 or 3 oil changes.
there is an outsider option for the filter, check Harpers MG..

That is why I bought what I perceive to be a quality filter.  Wix.  I got an OUTSIDER with the bike.  It's an early version that's requires exhaust modification and maybe removing the lower frame member.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »
oh, and be careful not to strip the threads on any of those 18 bolts.. use the right size tool for the job not some 1/2 inch socket wrench with a long (leverage) handle.

I'm an A&P tech, now instructor.  Woa be unto me if I screw that up.  I'd have to keep it a secret.  I don't know if I could live with it.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Yes the filter is in the sump. Yes I have a Honda here with the filter in the block. The Honda takes me about twice as long to do an oil change.

Yep.  I have a love affair with old Yamahas.  The big ones have cartridge filters that always require me making a mess.  My old twins have a vulnerable sump screen that requires frequent inspection.

What year is your EV? On later models, starting around 2000, they put a drain in the rear transmission cover. Between about 1994 and 1999, I put foil over the 'third muffler' and drain it over the foil. Before that they had a simply H pipe. If you like 'flatulent pipes', get a simple H pipe that gives easy access to it.

Mine is 1998.  I like the way it sounds.  My neighbors might appreciate it, too!  I don't like being an inconsiderate neighbor, never mind the guy next door unloading clip after clip.  How flatulent is the H pipe?
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:24:14 AM »
Mine is 1998.  I like the way it sounds.  My neighbors might appreciate it, too!  I don't like being an inconsiderate neighbor, never mind the guy next door unloading clip after clip.  How flatulent is the H pipe?

IF your mufflers are in good shape, it isn't bad. I spend enough time/miles on mine, that I prefer not having the extra 'flatulence'.
Seat of the pants dyno will notice a couple of extra horses too.
If you get one, get a quality piece. Some do not fit the pipes right, and some crack easily.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chet Rugg

• Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Chet & Rusty ( 99 Bassa )
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »
unhook positive on battery so there is no 12v going to the starter.
pull the two bolts holding the starter .pull the starter back and stand it up out of the way.
you don't have to take any wires of the starter cause there is no 12v there at the post on starter to short against anything.
drain plug will be easy to get to right there behind the starter.
make something out of cardboard ( I use a diet pepsi carton) suppose (budwiser carton would suffice) to divert the draining oil  to a pan on the floor.
While you have the starter out of the way fix the oil leak at the neutral switch.
put back together and your done! easy :thumb:

Note:  if the carton you use to divert the oil to your drain pan is budwiser carton that may play a role in why there is a problem
not understanding this method. :thumb:
Chet Rugg
99 Bassa
01 Cali Special

100,000 miles

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
unhook positive all negative leads on the battery so there is no 12v going to the starter.
pull the two bolts holding the starter .pull the starter back and stand it up out of the way.
you don't have to take any wires of the starter cause there is no 12v there at the post on starter to short against anything.
drain plug will be easy to get to right there behind the starter.
make something out of cardboard ( I use a diet pepsi carton) suppose (budwiser carton would suffice) to divert the draining oil  to a pan on the floor.
While you have the starter out of the way fix the oil leak at the neutral switch.
put back together and your done! easy :thumb:

Note:  if the carton you use to divert the oil to your drain pan is budwiser carton that may play a role in why there is a problem
not understanding this method. :thumb:

Fixed it for you.

Offline Chet Rugg

• Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Chet & Rusty ( 99 Bassa )
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
whatever .same result :bow:
Chet Rugg
99 Bassa
01 Cali Special

100,000 miles

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »
The 2 piece GuzziTech crossover is the way to go.  And it doesn't make the stock pipes that much louder.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »
My V11s have a big crossover under the transmission too. I modified a plastic lid from a resealable container. When I change the oil, I put that lid on the crossover, tilt it a little and the oil drains off it right into the pan. No pics... sorry.

Aluminum foil sounds easy too - you just have to shape it to channel the oil where you want it to go.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »
whatever .same result :bow:

There is a big safety difference. But yes, same end result. Unless you happen to touch the frame while pulling the battery wire.
:boozing:

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »
A warning about cross-over pipes.  You may need to address the fueling if you install one.  I did once on a 1995 California 1100 (carb version), and it ran too lean at low throttle openings once installed.  I raised the needles in the carbs, improved it a little, but I really should have installed slides with less cutaway.

After reinstalling the colostomy bag, I was amazed with the return of low down power.

YMMV and all that.

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
Get yourself a good H-pipe and a Harpers Outsider and it is trouble free.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
I have a triangle shaped drain pan, if I ever loose that I'll have to give up Guzzi's.....
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here