General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Little Green Wing - Aermacchi Ala Verde

<< < (12/17) > >>

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on March 22, 2023, 07:21:23 PM ---Good luck with the short fork shrouds and smooth triple tree.  I know sourcing those racy bits can be really tough.

--- End quote ---

Hard to fine indeed! If my current lead falls short I will modify the fork shrouds I have and weld up another upper triple clamp and machine it smooth. I take my inspiration from your Corsa build, if you can’t find it make it!

Ps I might have another Sprite thanks to your tip!

cliffrod:
I looked for a decade trying to find a short set of fork shrouds for my little Ducati Sport 80 to eliminate the upright bars.  That was mostly pre-internet and I never found any.  Between the difference in cone/taper and actual headlight ears vs regular Falcon & Cadet parts, making a pair were a major impetus in working towards Metalshaping work. The Corsa Record gives me a chance to still make parts in the same theme and maybe show others that it can be done by normal folks.  I’m anxious to get back to work on it.

Hoping the new lead works out for you.  Eggs usually come in a dozen, right?  You keep getting closer…

Canuck750:
Thanks Clint!
I did score a center stand out of Italy today and plenty of pictures of an all original 1961 Ala Verde to study.

I have found very similar clip-ons and I think I can modify the fork ears I have by cutting them down and on my lathe making new steel top caps with an opening for the 30mm fork tubes and weld the new closure caps to the sheet metal shrouds.
Fir the triple clamp I will weld up a spare top cap and finish it smooth, it won’t be exact but close enough for me.

cliffrod:
Have you seen these repro clip-ons available that are very close, if not the same.  Look here if you haven’t seen this site, down towards the bottom of the handlebar listings- https://www.motocicliveloci.it/inglese/catalogue/manubri_uk.htm

How are the headlight ears- regular vs clip-on shrouds?  Some for those cut down shrouds are very upswept vs the straight ones found on bikes with regular bars. 

Canuck750:
I bought a pair of nice clip-ons with the lever perches welded to the bars and complete with levers. They are shown on Facebook. The Aermacchi parts for sale page. They are advertised as being for an Ala dOro (Gold Wing) but I think they are very close to what came on an Ala Verde.

The Ala Verde fork shrouds are just like the 1st year Harley Sprint fork shrouds I have but they are shorter above the welded on fork ears. This a picture of my project with the typical bars mounted on top of the triple clamp.

This is what I am trying to copy, smooth top triple clamp, clip-ons mounted to 39mm fork tubes and steel shrouds with welded on headlight ears.

Another idea I have is to just slide the fork shrouds I have downward by notching out the cut out for the lower triple, then weld up the extended lower triple slot and cut off the bottom of the fork shroud, I think this may be the least amount of work and not impact the geometry of the shroud. Just some careful steel sheet welding for the modified slot at the lower triple and some grinding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version