General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1965 Benelli / Motobi 200 Sprite

<< < (20/24) > >>

kballowe:
Nice.  Very nice.

Can we get more more pictures ???

cliffrod:
Glad to hear it did start.  As far as starting manners…. My singles have generally been good to start at approx the correct settings.  But some benefitted from minor tweaks.  If it’s kicking back hard, the timing could be slightly advanced.  Before you change timing, some minor kickback is probably normal.  Even if the process is generally similar, It seems like each single has its own individual starting procedure and will not tolerate anything else.

But you may have a carb or condition (like only starting on full throttle, then stalling) that’s rich , which promptly fouled the plug so that now it will not spark hot enough or at all to function.  Even if they were the same heat range, gap, etc, Some plug brands always seem to work more reliably in my old single bikes than others. I’ve got a coffee can with several brands, including some pink Lodge plugs that always seem to save the day.   If you haven’t swapped a plug (new plug, burned dry with torch or bead blasted) yet, I would give that a try first before I started changing anything else.

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on April 25, 2023, 08:22:43 PM ---Glad to hear it did start.  As far as starting manners…. My singles have generally been good to start at approx the correct settings.  But some benefitted from minor tweaks.  If it’s kicking back hard, the timing could be slightly advanced.  Before you change timing, some minor kickback is probably normal.  Even if the process is generally similar, It seems like each single has its own individual starting procedure and will not tolerate anything else.

But you may have a carb or condition (like only starting on full throttle, then stalling) that’s rich , which promptly fouled the plug so that now it will not spark hot enough or at all to function.  Even if they were the same heat range, gap, etc, Some plug brands always seem to work more reliably in my old single bikes than others. I’ve got a coffee can with several brands, including some pink Lodge plugs that always seem to save the day.   If you haven’t swapped a plug (new plug, burned dry with torch or bead blasted) yet, I would give that a try first before I started changing anything else.

--- End quote ---

Good points Clint. I have a pink Magneti Matelli plug in but will try some others tomorrow, I have some NOS Champions to try and the typical NGK as well.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
I steer clear of Champions since they seem to damage the threads in alloy heads too easily. I've had issues with NGKs - my V50 III would barely start and would only run on one cylinder with new, properly gapped BP7ES. Installed a pair of Denso W22EP-U and it started right up and ran perfectly. Runs even better with Denso IW22 (Iridium).

This poor little Benelli is for sale near me. If I didn't already have five projects waiting. I'd think about buying it.

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on April 26, 2023, 08:40:48 AM ---I steer clear of Champions since they seem to damage the threads in alloy heads too easily. I've had issues with NGKs - my V50 III would barely start and would only run on one cylinder with new, properly gapped BP7ES. Installed a pair of Denso W22EP-U and it started right up and ran perfectly. Runs even better with Denso IW22 (Iridium).

This poor little Benelli is for sale near me. If I didn't already have five projects waiting. I'd think about buying it.

--- End quote ---

That Benelli would make a decent parts bike, it would cost me far too much to ship it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version