Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 885 times)

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
Starting problem
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
Getting my 2001 Cal Special out of mothballs. Charged the battery and tried to fire it up. No go. Battery was old so I went and got a new one. A couple cranks and nothing except that the positive terminal got hot. Put the old battery fully charged back in and tried it again. Fuel pump is strong, Loud solenoid click but no crank and a warm pos terminal. Am I looking at a bad starter which is easy to fix or couild it be something tricky?
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »
The starter is not well sealed against water and they get nasty inside. They are easy if you are familiar but may not be a good place to learn. https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1670.htm  Is a place I use for parts or complete assemblies. Maybe some of the electrical wizards that reside here can relate more information on troubleshooting it but what you posted leads me to believe the starter itself is the trouble
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:55:09 PM »
Did you scrape the battery terminals to expose shiny lead, do that then apply some Vaseline to keep the oxygen away from the metal.
It sounds like a bad connection to me.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 05:12:02 AM »
Motor spins free right??  Clean all cables well.. pos, and neg..  and try again.
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 05:12:02 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:08:43 PM »
In lieu of Vaseline, I have discovered  Fluid Film works well. I began using that a couple years ago. Much more convenient in a spray can.

To the OP, take the starter and have it tested.

John Henry
\\
What is fluid film, do you have a link?
As an apprentice we used nothing but Vaseline on the large rotating contacts of drum controllers and batteries, its really cheap from the baby section in a tube or jar.
I never work on bike electrics without it handy, its really good to dip wires in it before crimping them, the joint will stay fresh for ages instead of corroding, especially in a wet area.
Im sure theres better stuff available, but we Guzzi owners are known for being cheap lol
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 09:33:34 AM »
A bike in mothballs to me means it hasn't run in a while.  I would pull the spark plugs and take peak in the cylinders. I would squirt a little oil in and crank the motor over with the spark plugs grounded to check the spark.  A compression test will tell a lot and is easy to do.  I do remember fuel injectors having a problem if they sit a long time so they be an issue along with that possible starter issue. 

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 06:47:46 PM »
C'mon.. Kent. Getcha an Amazon Valeo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SAT1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For whatever reason the price is higher than the last two I bought that look and operate like OEM.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »
C'mon.. Kent. Getcha an Amazon Valeo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SAT1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For whatever reason the price is higher than the last two I bought that look and operate like OEM.
Will do come next paycheck. Gotta pay taxes first.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here