Author Topic: Guzzi in New Zealand: Import or Buy?  (Read 11966 times)

Offline brianlucid

• New Egg
Guzzi in New Zealand: Import or Buy?
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
A question for the NZ Guzzisti on this board…

I am in the final stages of negotiating a job that will prompt a move from the US to New Zealand.

My next bike will be a V7 Stone. I am trying to decide whether to buy one once I get to NZ, or buy one here and ship it over.

In my research, accounting for exchange rate, a new V7 stone is about $3200 more expensive to buy in NZ than in the US. Depreciation for used bikes in both locations appears to be similar.

If I factor $1500 for shipping, will I get hit so hard on taxes that it winds up being a wash? Because I do not own the bike currently, and will not have owned it for a year before the move, I cannot bring it over tax free in the one-time “permanent residency” program.

I would prefer to buy one there, but am concerned that this little bike will get priced out of my range!

Should I cross my fingers and hope that the introduction of the new V7 II will flood the market with cheap, newish Guzzis?  ;)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Re: Guzzi in New Zealand: Import or Buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »
Taxes will be GST (Goods & Services Tax) calculated on 15% of declared value, which includes the cost of shipping.  Some minor customs and agriculture inspection fees might apply too, specifically for snakes as we have none of these reptiles in NZ.

You are probably comparing list prices, whereas in my experience the USA has much better buyer discounts available, especially for cash.  You should not have to pay any USA taxes if the bike is for export.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »
Other than goods and services tax (GST) you may be hit by a compulsory backhander to the Guzzi importer here. My regular guest from England had to pay NZ$800 to Ford NZ when he imported his then new 2000 TD5 Land Rover Defender just because he hadn't bought it from them!!! It's a rort I know, but there it is.

If it was a second hand bike I would say import for sure. For a new one, I'd look a little more closely.

If its a new one it would be good if it was still in it's box I think. Less drama from the Ministry of Ag and Fish (MAF) then I would say. (We do try quite hard to keep a bio barrier here)

If you can get the model you want here it would certainly be a lot less hassle as all the bureaucratic stuff will have been done for you.

I think the V7 would be outstandingly suitable to conditions and roads here. What part of the country are you headed for? Landing a vehicle in Port Lyttleton (Christchurch) is known to be a much smoother and easier proposition than doing so in Auckland.

If you do import I suggest you get onto the phone to Kiwi Shipping. Good experiences from them. They MAY(?) even be able to have it picked up from where ever you are.

http://www.kiwishipping.co.nz/WhyUseUs

Contact Us

Postal enquires should be addressed to:

Kiwi Shipping
1400 Glenn Curtiss Street
Carson CA 90746-4030

You can also contact us through the following ways:

US Office:   Phone:   +1 562 295 1350
    Fax:   +1 310 604 5942
    Email:   USenquiry@Mainfreight.com
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:07:00 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline brianlucid

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
Really helpful! Thank you both. I have to do some shopping around here to see if I could fine a well sorted used bike and see how the numbers work. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:51:51 PM by brianlucid »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »

crc

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 03:14:05 PM »
im just thinking slightly outside the square here, as I usually do. whats the chances of you finding a rough convert in usa with good running gear? if you bring it with you id buy it off you, you could make some profit off it, as long as youre not to cruel. then buy a v7 here

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
im just thinking slightly outside the square here, as I usually do. whats the chances of you finding a rough convert in usa with good running gear? if you bring it with you id buy it off you, you could make some profit off it, as long as youre not to cruel. then buy a v7 here

That could work out well.
New Zealand

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
I think it may depend on if you intend to import it and leave it there or export it again if you leave.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
I don't have experience with NZ but after moving bikes back and forth on a move from the US to Japan and back, I would only buy in NZ with the plan to sell it there when done.  You will not be able to bring a NZ bike back with you (unless it's more than 25 years old) - I ended up selling a nice Japan-model KLX250 for about half what it was worth because I could not get a title on the Japan VIN after I brought it back to the US.

Even if it's a little extra cost to buy and sell in NZ, consider it the small cost to enjoy all that beautiful scenery!  Buying there will avoid all the bureaucratic running around and fees - you could be riding the same day you land!

Enjoy,
Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »
Other than goods and services tax (GST) you may be hit by a compulsory backhander to the Guzzi importer here. My regular guest from England had to pay NZ$800 to Ford NZ when he imported his then new 2000 TD5 Land Rover Defender just because he hadn't bought it from them!!! It's a rort I know, but there it is.

That's a new one on me John, but I guess if you're not a New Zealand citizen this may apply.  But why would the Guzzi importer get the loot?  Who's is pissing in who's pocket?  And didn't we give up these sorts of tariffs back in about 1985?  Parallel importing is alive and well.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:09 AM »
It was a new one on me too, as it was to the lawyer with whom we checked, but it turned out to be so. Not sure if it applies to bikes. I think the excuse for it had something to do having to carry warranty or some such. Pure robbery in my book and shouldn't be allowed.
New Zealand

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:02:01 AM »

Some years ago my bro came back to NZ after living in England for 25 years. He brought out his car which he had owned for some time; he had to own it for at least a year before he was allowed to sell it.

That may not apply now however.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 04:23:16 AM »
... he had to own it for at least a year before he was allowed to sell it.

That may not apply now however.

I think it does Muzz. I think it's to stop people bringing in cars tax free (No GST on a car owned for that length of time)  purely for profit.

(did you find that CD of pics?)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:23:55 AM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline mikebr

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
I'm just in the process of looking into shipping back my 2007 Norge which I brought new and a new 2013 Griso with no miles on it.

I will be a returning citizen and will not have to pay the taxes but not allowed to sell either within two years.

I applied for an exemption to the light brake rule for the Norge and recieved that, from 1st November last year they charge for the exemption so not worth applying.
Someone told me when you take the motorcycle  in for inspection have all the numbers from the factory pads and calipers and they mostly accept that or they will do it themselves and charge you, don't take it in with modified brakes.

The Norge headlights I can use but have to readjust them the Griso with the round headlight have to replace since you need a LH dip.  .
Pete helped me on that problem.

Paying any money to Moto Guzzi haven't heard that one.

And the motorcycles have to be clean everywhere or its turns into a nightmare.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »

The Norge headlights I can use but have to readjust them the Griso with the round headlight have to replace since you need a LH dip. 

Do they realise it is a motorcycle? Vertical dip is fine and is the preference on a mc.

Paying any money to Moto Guzzi haven't heard that one.

I don't know if the MC importers are in on that bit of chicanery or not

And the motorcycles have to be clean everywhere or its turns into a nightmare.

Absolutely. This can not be over emphasized.
New Zealand

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
I've bought back a dozen bikes over the years, some new and never ridden, some which had miles I and others had accumulated.  Never have I had to pay any tax to the local Guzzi importer.

Any warranty issues for bikes that are less than 2 years old is the responsibility of the manufacturer, not the importer who (or their agent) will be compensated for any renewal of faulty bits, etc.  I'm not saying that they have welcomed my issues with open arms, but to their credit have honoured the warranty.

Offline Brattus

• New Egg
  • Brattus
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 01:50:42 AM »
Had friend bring a bike(Honda 600) in from England and he had to keep the bike for two years or he would be due duty and any other taxes. Prices vary for guzzis over here for used bikes we have trade me(like ebay) pre loved Nevada 750, couple on there for NZ$3k to $5.  Other than that it is purchased new from a dealer where you get the warrantee etc and pay for servicing. Remember we ride on the left over here

Offline brianlucid

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:36:47 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for the helpful comments. It looks like shipping costs will be higher than expected, so I am now leaning towards getting a bike once I arrive. Anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer? I will be in Wellington.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 12:05:24 AM »
A quick on line search didn't produce much for Wellington. You might have to take a trip to Red Baron in Auckland. (423 miles each way)

Ill put a request up on a NZ Guzzi facebook page and let you know the results.
New Zealand

Offline steamdriven NZ

• Gosling
  • simplify and add lightness
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 04:26:50 AM »
http://www.scooterazzi.co.nz/home/

Moto Guzzi agent in Wellington. I had my first look-see at a V7 Racer in their shop about a year ago while visiting.
I don't know (haven't researched / heard any rumours) about what they're like to deal with, which is normally good news!
When you spend more time spannering than using, you have reached toy saturation.....

'84 750 Monza (The Monzada)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:06 AM »
The Kiwi equivalent of Craigslist is Trademe, you will find  number of Guzzis on there.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 03:08:59 AM »
I've had a bit of a look at this. I posted a 'help' message up on a local guzzi facebook page and as steamdriven said, Scooterazzi is the place in Wellington. When I looked though they only had one Guzzi in stock, a Nevada. (assuming their webb page is up to date)

Here is their site
http://www.scooterazzi.co.nz/Moto%20Guzzi/

Here are the FB messages.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/327216784009013/permalink/842309749166378/

I checked out the importer but they do not sell retail, only to the trade.

The big Guzzi noise in Auckland is Red Baron. They are a multi brand shop and of the 135 bikes they had listed on the floor 13 of them were Guzzis, both new and second hand, though I'm not sure that some of them weren't listed twice. Here follows links to five I thought might interest you. Bear in mind that prices are in NZ dollars. Red Baron appears to have a branch in Lower hut, part of Wellington, more or less, but there is no webb page and no mention of it on FB.

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Classic/2182176.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Classic/2111324.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1818817.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1755161.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1681567.htm

All in all, I suspect that postings in this thread have made importing a bike seem much more troublesome than it actually is. It is really absolutely simple.

I think, were I you, I would buy one over there (You should be able to get any duties paid in the US returned too) and trundle it off to Kiwi Shipping. They will get you organised. (contact posted earlier).

That way you would have way more choice and know exactly what you were getting.  Jeeron has recently done this and didn't seem to experience any undue problems apart from it taking longer than he expected to arrive from Holland (I think) It may well pay to contact him for opinions and advice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:15:26 AM by johnr »
New Zealand

hhkiwi

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »
Brian, you really need to look carefully at the numbers.

If you haven't owned the bike for at least a year in the US you will be faced with GST on the purchase price and the shipping costs. In addition, you need to look at the cost of getting the bike certified and warranted in New Zealand which may include asking Land Transport for exemptions for certain components and/or replacing stuff such as the headlight.

The good news is that you would not have to pay anything to the New Zealand Guzzi importer because US bikes will have a FMVSS certification label attached to them which confirms compliance with applicable US standards. Bikes imported from Europe usually don't have certification labels and need a Statement of Compliance - that's where the New Zealand importers come in with their outragous charges for a piece of paper. But again, that's not the case for bikes made for the US market with FMVSS labels.

I think that by the time you work the numbers you will find that you might as well buy the bike in NZ - and that's not taking into account the hassles of shipping and certification!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:36:25 PM by hhkiwi »

Jeeron

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:41 PM »
I've had a bit of a look at this. I posted a 'help' message up on a local guzzi facebook page and as steamdriven said, Scooterazzi is the place in Wellington. When I looked though they only had one Guzzi in stock, a Nevada. (assuming their webb page is up to date)

Here is their site
http://www.scooterazzi.co.nz/Moto%20Guzzi/

Here are the FB messages.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/327216784009013/permalink/842309749166378/

I checked out the importer but they do not sell retail, only to the trade.

The big Guzzi noise in Auckland is Red Baron. They are a multi brand shop and of the 135 bikes they had listed on the floor 13 of them were Guzzis, both new and second hand, though I'm not sure that some of them weren't listed twice. Here follows links to five I thought might interest you. Bear in mind that prices are in NZ dollars. Red Baron appears to have a branch in Lower hut, part of Wellington, more or less, but there is no webb page and no mention of it on FB.

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Classic/2182176.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Classic/2111324.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1818817.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1755161.htm

http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/Moto-Guzzi/V7/Motorbike---Road-Tourer/1681567.htm

All in all, I suspect that postings in this thread have made importing a bike seem much more troublesome than it actually is. It is really absolutely simple.

I think, were I you, I would buy one over there (You should be able to get any duties paid in the US returned too) and trundle it off to Kiwi Shipping. They will get you organised. (contact posted earlier).

That way you would have way more choice and know exactly what you were getting.  Jeeron has recently done this and didn't seem to experience any undue problems apart from it taking longer than he expected to arrive from Holland (I think) It may well pay to contact him for opinions and advice.

Red baron has way less choice in Guzzi's than I expected when I first visited them (Basically none). So I'd say just look into a bike you'll like and like hhkiwi said do the numbers and see if it works out.

Transported my little V50 nato from Rotterdam to Auckland for just about $2500,- (incl. ISPM15 crate for the bike and some stuff $600) using Taurus Logistics (christchurch) and they also did the whole getting it through customs for me. So you could do it cheaper if you would do it yourself just takes a bit more time.

Had to pay $470,- in GST / bond (since mine is on temporary import) And I should get that back once I get the bike out of NZ. Entry certification/WOF was easy enough and cost me $130,-. Had my bike clothing and helmet in the crate with the bike and since that's all used no GST or anything just make sure the bike looks very clean from all angles. Otherwise they might steamclean it which will cost you some more.

hhkiwi

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
Entry certification/WOF was easy enough and cost me $130,-.

Are you sure that you had to go through a full NZ entry certification with your bike? If your bike is a true temporary import, i.e. on a valid foreign registration, it would have required only a basic safety inspection. Here's the relevant bit from NZTA's website:

"A temporarily imported vehicle does not need to meet New Zealand’s requirements for entry certification. However, a TSD agent must carry out a basic safety inspection before issuing a warrant of fitness (WoF) or certificate of fitness (CoF) label for the vehicle."

The basic inspection is much cheaper than a full entry cert which, from memory, can set you back in the order of NZD 500.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »
Thing is you need to realise that NZ is a small market for just about anything, so you are not going to find a lot of such exotica as Guzzis sitting on a shop floor.  Even back in 1971 when I bought my BSA Rocket 3 I had to order it.  My dealer tracked one down that was on a ship somewhere and had it re-directed. I hadn't even seen a Guzzi in those days though I had considered a 1970 V7 as one of the contenders when deciding on a bike.

And of course if you bring one with you the Guzzi population will have swelled by 1. A significant increase.  ;)

PS.
I'm not sure that the sales site I was directed to from Red Baron where I got those 5 listed above was only red barons stock.
New Zealand

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 03:43:44 AM »
Keep an eye out on Trademe.co.nz as suggested, there are some good bargains to be had here on second hand bikes. No need to buy new as they run forever :-)

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 05:31:39 AM »
Interesting stuff here gents. In Oz of course you can't bring anything in that was made recently, I think less than 30 years old, hence Roper always leaves bikes in the states if they are recent or new.
We used to allow anything in as long as the buyer had owned it for at least 12 months before importing it. But that was stopped back in about 1976, I remember because a mate bought a new Merc 300D straight from the factory in Germany back then for $12,000Aud when the price in Oz was $36,000Aud. He drove it for 18 months in England, brought it home and sold it for $24,000. He said the phone had never run so hot for any car he had sold.

So the politicians had to ruin all the fun for protection of the local  industry.
I wonder if we could bring new stuff from NZ after having it stop there for awhile. I doubt it. Meanwhile NZ is wide open for importing  vehicles of any age is it?

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »

I wonder if we could bring new stuff from NZ after having it stop there for awhile. I doubt it. Meanwhile NZ is wide open for importing  vehicles of any age is it?

Yes. Any age. The only actual tax that applies is GST (goods and services tax)
This is 15% on anything you buy or hire here. On imported vehicles it depends on the age or the machine and/or how long you have owned it. ie, the GST rate is lower for older vehicles. Also on a second hand vehicle you can fudge the value significantly, as long as its believable, and pay even less GST.

There are dispensations that apply to Australians and people moving here permanently. (The OP hasn't said if this is a permanent move)

Only other costs are the ones that involve making it legal on the road here. If you buy new here you pay for those as part of the buying price. (as well as GST)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:32:43 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

Jeeron

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
Are you sure that you had to go through a full NZ entry certification with your bike? If your bike is a true temporary import, i.e. on a valid foreign registration, it would have required only a basic safety inspection. Here's the relevant bit from NZTA's website:

"A temporarily imported vehicle does not need to meet New Zealand’s requirements for entry certification. However, a TSD agent must carry out a basic safety inspection before issuing a warrant of fitness (WoF) or certificate of fitness (CoF) label for the vehicle."

The basic inspection is much cheaper than a full entry cert which, from memory, can set you back in the order of NZD 500.

True temp import, riding around on Dutch plates with WOF and Rego thingies sticking out.

Offline brianlucid

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »
johnr: thank you for all of your help in this thread. Those links are greatly appreciated.

To clarify, the job I am taking comes with permanent residency status, so this is not a temporary move.

Currently MG USA is offering a $2000US trade-in bonus, which to my eye is a fantastic deal.

Unfortunately, I am on the east coast of the US, and all shipments to NZ have to leave from the west coast, so my transport costs keep going up and up. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:15:57 PM by brianlucid »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here