Author Topic: Unintended results  (Read 4881 times)

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
Unintended results
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
A friend gave me 4 LED replacement lamps for the turn signals on my 03 EV.  When I put them in found out I needed a different flasher to work with LED's.  Finally got around to installing the new flasher and was very surprised at the results.  No matter which direction I tried to signal I had 4 way flashers ??? !  Looked at schematics and found the mickey mouse way the turn signals were wired.  Removed the turn indicator lamp and turn signals operated normally but no longer any indication that they were on or flashing.  So I installed two more LED's on the dash and now have all LED turn signals with LED indicators.  Not sure what I am going to do with the now empty old turn indicator socket.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:00:58 PM by StuCorpe »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Unintended results
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
"I use the stickies the latte lady plugs the cup lid with to cover those sorts of blemishes.  They come in shapes like cows and chickens and footballs, and add a festive color swatch to your drab dash."

--  Martha Stewart

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
That is a wonderful idea, Rodekyll ,I'm going to get me a bunch of them there stickers ! :PICS!:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:42:02 PM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »
They also make good victory counters -- use the chicken for bird hits and the cow for furry critter hits and line them up on your fuselage like a fighter ace.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
The indicator lamp was drawing as much as the LED flashers ~100 milliamp, you could have installed an LED for that also.
However it's working now ;-T

These are the lamps I like, they are AC so no need to worry about polarity. I don't use lamp-holders just solder the wires to the leads, more reliable that way.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:03:31 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
You can't put an LED in place of the indicator lamp as it is wired from the + side in the left turn to the + side in the right turn.  It would only light up in one direction.  That's why I added two.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »
That's why I like the 194, it has a bridge rectifier built in so the polarity doesn't matter it just rectifies whatever it gets, you can do the same with a pair of diodes with one lamp wire to chassis. For your type of dash the lamps glue in place of the crappy rubber holder,
Your fix is fine ;-T
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
I had not spent any time looking for plug in led's so wasn't aware of all the advances that have come out.  Next time I'll just get something that plugs in.  Oh well it was fun anyway.  Besides now I can look for some of the stickers Rodekyll is talking about.  :o

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
They also make good victory counters -- use the chicken for bird hits and the cow for furry critter hits and line them up on your fuselage like a fighter ace.

I am going to do this.  How about grasshopper stickers :)  May run out of room for them on the panniers.  :)  Craft stores have tons of stickers.

If you wanted to be crude you could also apply a couple of people stickers too :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
That's why I like the 194, it has a bridge rectifier built in so the polarity doesn't matter it just rectifies whatever it gets, you can do the same with a pair of diodes with one lamp wire to chassis. For your type of dash the lamps glue in place of the crappy rubber holder,
Your fix is fine ;-T

Roy you seem to be the resident electrical genius I'm just curious if you work in the field of did you learn all this stuff thru practice, books, & wiring diagrams?

Not only do I not understand half the electrical questions asked.. I must admit I deff don't understand the vast majority of your answers! Tho they seem to be always correct!

So are you like assembling military computers somewhere or did you gain all this knowledge from research and trial & error?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here