Author Topic: Stornello & Rough owners, please—and anybody else with an opinion!  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
Thanks to all the great help HERE, I'm more certain that a used V7 is the way to go (for my situation). Now I'm thinking about the trim...

Where I live there are a LOT of forest/gravel roads, and I'm wondering if there might be reason to go with a Stornello or Rough? The latter looks pretty cool, but it seems more like a styling exercise with little practical benefit over a more "street" V7. (But I'd love to be wrong about that.)

Hoping some folks with Stornello/Rough experience can weigh in on things like:
  • Are these trims truly suitable for forest roads and mild two-track?
  • Is the high Arrow pipe worth getting?
  • Can you run two bags with the high pipe?
  • How much do you "give up" on the street with these "dirtier" trims?
Ol' Jamie seems to like the Stornello, but he doesn't think it's a terribly capable scrambler...?
https://youtu.be/myavUH5UGkU

This guy seems to a) really like it and b) get what Guzzis are about.
https://youtu.be/eQkyZ4NudDw

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
Re: Stornello & Rough owners, please—and anybody else with an opinion!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/myavUH5UGkU

Thanks, Steven. That's one of the links in the original post.  :grin:
I'm hoping to gather some real life experiences OTHER than Jamie's!  :thumb:

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »
Besides the looks, the high pipes are desirable if you want to avoid rocks, ruts, roots, rivers, and chrome. They’re also about 12 pounds lighter than the factory pipes.  If you don’t plan on traversing fields or challenging routes, high pipes aren’t needed.

There’s not a single “scrambler” moto out there that ‘needs’ the high pipe if people aren’t going to throw the bikes into challenging terrain. The Stornello and Rough are dressed up V7s which, although the V7s are standard naked bikes similar to those of the 60s and 70s, they are HEAVY naked standards (in the 475 lb loaded range) when it comes to attempting off-road stuff. The BMW R-NineT, Triumph, Royal Enfield Interceptor, Moto Guzzi V7, all are fat pigs if you want to challenge them off tarmac… but heck, so are most ADV bikes these days. Note that the V7 Stornello only came out AFTER Triumph and Ducati initiated the wave of scrambler popularity.

Anyone riding these ‘scramblers’ on an unpaved dirt but otherwise flat and safe road and taking pictures of them are doing nothing but pretending. I see lots of folks post pics of these bikes on dirt roads that any traditional cruiser or bagger should be able to handle.

That said, the high pipes are indeed lighter, and weight savings always helps, but you’ll also have to do a re-map (not difficult, but you’ll need the hardware and mapping software, a couple hundred $$ total).

Regarding luggage, I don’t think there are pannier racks that are made to fit over the high pipes, but you can always go the route that Bulldog and I have—visit your friendly neighborhood fabricator, and have them modify the rack to jut out and clear the pipe:

See this (click on it).

I didn’t need high pipes to do that, lol. But I have taken the bike places where the factory pipes would’ve certainly been banged up:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:54:30 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »
Also, while I love the looks of the Rough, that black matte finish that Guzzi uses on some of their bikes’ exhausts has been known to easily scratch and chip. I’m a fan of stainless steel, and would probably try to replace them sooner than later with a set off SS exhausts.

Methinks you’ll find a cheaper V7 Stone, than a Stornello, since those were limited edition V7 II variants that folks tend to covet quicker. I mean, that red frame!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:22:56 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 11:03:19 AM »
Styling exercises.

You can pick up any V7 and ride it on forest service roads.

You want to do a little more, then more aggressive tires, some tip over protection are in order.

A little more, then suspension upgrades, skid plate, short or high exhaust, and even more aggressive tires are in order.

A little more, then custom rear shocks with more travel, front end swap with more travel, larger front wheel, very aggressive tires, and getting rid of all extra weight is in order.

Just about any bike can go anywhere if the rider is strong, skilled, and doesn't over ride the bikes capability.  Example, on my Van van 200, going over 30mph on rough terrain over rides the capability of the suspension.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 11:46:19 AM »
A Stornello might be a bit hard to find.  And it is a v7 ii vs the Rough being a v7 iii. 

Biggest problem I have with my Stornello is it is too beautiful to go get dirty!   :laugh:

Neither of these have any differences vs a normal Stone for offroad riding like suspension, frame, geometry, protection etc.  The Rough basically got a wee bit more off road tire pattern, the Stornello came with decent dirt road tires and the high pipe of course. 

If you look at the pipes of a Stone/Rough ... they do run below the frame rails but they are about the same height from the ground as the sump.  So if you are smashing the pipes you are hitting sump.  With a Stornello, sure pipes are high, but the sump is the same distance off the ground ... so if you are hitting the sump on a Rough you would hit the sump on the Stornello just the same.  Not sure how offroad you want to go.

Have you looked at a Royal Enfield Himalayan?  Much more dirt road worthy, and for some reason I could get one muddy and drop it and not worry about it.  Where I would cry if I hurt my Stornello.   :grin:

Oh, some typical Stornello mods ... stiffer fork springs (stock is very mushy) and longer "Enduro" Hagen shocks.  Both of these help absorb bumps and keep the bike a bit higher off the ground.  But you could do the same to a Rough or Stone. 

Oh, tires.  Just riding the Stornello on twisty roads is fun.  I'm not worried about the tires.  But ... the Conti Road Attach III tires on my Racer let you dive into corners with gusto.  So if you ride these two back-to-back, then yes, I ride a slower pavement pace on the Stornello due to tires.  But it isn't like scary on the pavement or anything.  And you feel like it is a fun pace. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 11:52:17 AM »
You guys are great! Thanks for the slap upside the head.

The more I think about your responses, the more buying a 1/1000 limited edition (Stornello) as a one-bike knockabout seems silly, flying in the face of everything I've been saying about availability/thrift/bang-for-the-buck, etc. And the Rough is basically a Stone with knobbies.

If I want to "Stornello-ize" the exhaust later, it's just a bolt-on job...

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
A Stornello might be a bit hard to find.  And it is a v7 ii vs the Rough being a v7 iii. 

Biggest problem I have with my Stornello is it is too beautiful to go get dirty!   :laugh:

SNIP

If you look at the pipes of a Stone/Rough ... they do run below the frame rails but they are about the same height from the ground as the sump.  So if you are smashing the pipes you are hitting sump.  With a Stornello, sure pipes are high, but the sump is the same distance off the ground ... so if you are hitting the sump on a Rough you would hit the sump on the Stornello just the same. 

... I would cry if I hurt my Stornello.   :grin:

SNIP

...riding the Stornello on twisty roads is fun.  I'm not worried about the tires.  But ... the Conti Road Attach III tires on my Racer let you dive into corners with gusto.  So if you ride these two back-to-back, then yes, I ride a slower pavement pace on the Stornello due to tires.  But it isn't like scary on the pavement or anything.  And you feel like it is a fun pace.

SUPER helpful. Thanks, man!

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 11:56:28 AM »
If I want to "Stornello-ize" the exhaust later, it's just a bolt-on job...

100% agree! Plus, the cheaper and more basic you go, the less guilt you feel modifying it to match your personal needs and wants. Blank canvas mentality :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:57:30 AM by Dirk_S »

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
SNIP

If you don’t plan on traversing fields or challenging routes, high pipes aren’t needed.

There’s not a single “scrambler” moto out there that ‘needs’ the high pipe if people aren’t going to throw the bikes into challenging terrain.

The Stornello and Rough are dressed up V7s which, although the V7s are standard naked bikes similar to those of the 60s and 70s, they are HEAVY naked standards (in the 475 lb loaded range) when it comes to attempting off-road stuff. ...fat pigs if you want to challenge them off tarmac…

SNIP

That said, the high pipes are indeed lighter, and weight savings always helps, but you’ll also have to do a re-map (not difficult, but you’ll need the hardware and mapping software, a couple hundred $$ total).

Regarding luggage, I don’t think there are pannier racks that are made to fit over the high pipes, but you can always go the route that Bulldog and I have—visit your friendly neighborhood fabricator, and have them modify the rack to jut out and clear the pipe:

More gold. Thanks, Dirk!

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 12:04:25 PM »
SNIP

You can pick up any V7 and ride it on forest service roads.

You want to do a little more, then more aggressive tires, some tip over protection are in order.

A little more, then suspension upgrades, skid plate, short or high exhaust, and even more aggressive tires are in order.

A little more, then custom rear shocks with more travel, front end swap with more travel, larger front wheel, very aggressive tires, and getting rid of all extra weight is in order.

Love this as a "scramblerization progression," TWA. Thanks much!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:05:06 PM by Mwether »

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »
I used to have a stornello, recently traded it, I had zero problems in 20,000 miles, it does good on hard pack forest roads but anymore than that I wouldn’t advise it, I hated to get rid of it but the ergonomics and the horrible suspension we’re getting the best of me.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »
The Stornello 2:1 pipe is a hassle for fitting bags on that side but it is lighter and stainless steel big pluses . Plus no removing  exhaust for rear wheel removal .
They handle well but suspension needs work currently fitting emulators  in my forks .The springs are OK for my weight with 10 mm spacers . If I was looking at another V7 it would be the 850 or  second a Mklll Stone .Don't particularly like spokes as would prefer tubeless tires . Will be sealing spokes at next  tire change and going tubeless .
Duncan

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »
As others have said, the Stornello and Rough are just styling exercises on the V7.

I made 3" 'extensions' to mate the Hepco Becker racks to the right side to extend over the exhaust.'''

I also upgraded the Fork Springs and put Hagon 420mm shocks in the rear. I found the stock suspension unrideable on the street nevermind off road.  IMO, I don't think any V7 would be a stone or tree hopper trail bike, is too heavy, and not enough suspension. But trails, gravel, dirt, the bike is fine.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
...the ergonomics...we’re getting the best of me.

Syke, can you share more about your negative experience with the ergos?

This dude says he felt like he was leaning back and reaching up to the bars. But he wondered if it was a bodged suspension or lowering job. (He's riding a used bike with aftermarket reservoir shocks.)

https://youtu.be/OdaLJTAZkcA

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 02:54:45 PM »
I made 3" 'extensions' to mate the Hepco Becker racks to the right side to extend over the exhaust.'''

This sounds pretty cool, BD. Any pictures??

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 03:02:06 PM »
Syke, can you share more about your negative experience with the ergos?

This dude says he felt like he was leaning back and reaching up to the bars. But he wondered if it was a bodged suspension or lowering job. (He's riding a used bike with aftermarket reservoir shocks.)

https://youtu.be/OdaLJTAZkcA

Ergonomics are easily changed. 

My V7III went from a standard V7III to a cafe bike with lower bars, rear sets, cafe seat, shorty exhaust, etc. 

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »
This sounds pretty cool, BD. Any pictures??
[/quote]

I used a large 2" L bracket and bent it into a U for the upper mount, a 3" aluminum tube for the lower with a stainless carriage bolt, and then made a lower rear bracket out of aluminum stock. This goes across the back of the bike and I drilled a hole in the rear tail light/fender stay and and ran a bolt through the hole to stabilize. For fine tuning of the alignment and clearance I used stainless washers.

One thing I also did was to swap out the Arrow for a Mistral Can, is about 3/4" closer to the frame. Could also be done with the Arrow, but the spacers would have to be 3.75-4" rather than 3".

Yeah, Baby's got Back........ 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:45:59 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 08:50:25 PM »
I'd consider an inexpensive Stone. They're great value used. I quite like mine, and I'm not precious about it.

crying in rain pics

Offline helipic

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 10:42:37 PM »

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 11:10:07 AM »
Few more thoughts on this ...

... Hepco Becker sells just the left side rack ... I was thinking of rear rack and left side rack, skip right side rack ... have 1 side bag (on left) and then a dry bag strapped on the rear rack/passenger seat area. 

... as for adding an Arrow scrambler exhaust to a Stone or other V7 ... they are a painful $1900 msrp.  Seen them on sale for $1600 ish.  One came up on eBay, said it was new, I think it was around $700, I believe someone on this forum jumped on that before I could sort out if I really needed an extra full exhaust system (I don't.  But $1900 => $700 is such a deal!)

... in my younger years I was very practical, buying "what made sense" ... in my older years I'm buying more based on emotion and "what the heck I want" ... I think the Stornello is beautiful!  Way way better looking (to me) than a Stone.  The problem is (like I pointed out earlier) is to me, my Storello is so darn nice, I really don't want to get it dirty!  I have ridden down some non muddy dirt roads and it does clean up easily. 

... so a sensible plan might be find a reasonable priced Stone, swap tires to something more dirt worthy, and go ride.  If you end up bashing the pipes up you could probably find a used set of stock Stone pipes to replace them.

... with the Hagon longer travel enduro shocks, my Stornello's suspension is surprisingly very good.  A stock Stone suspension is not very good.  I would consider that a very worthwhile upgrade, and can be done to a Stone or Stornello or Rough, etc.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 02:07:40 PM »

... as for adding an Arrow scrambler exhaust to a Stone or other V7 ... they are a painful $1900 msrp.  Seen them on sale for $1600 ish.  One came up on eBay, said it was new, I think it was around $700, I believe someone on this forum jumped on that before I could sort out if I really needed an extra full exhaust system (I don't.  But $1900 => $700 is such a deal!)

Last guy bought one for $550 just a few weeks ago.. This guy will deal...I bought my Chrome racer tank from him.. Factory box too..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233728855686?hash=item366b534e86:g:mXwAAOSwQHVfrqhB

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »
Few more thoughts on this ...

... Hepco Becker sells just the left side rack ... I was thinking of rear rack and left side rack, skip right side rack ... have 1 side bag (on left) and then a dry bag strapped on the rear rack/passenger seat area. 

... in my younger years I was very practical, buying "what made sense" ... in my older years I'm buying more based on emotion and "what the heck I want" ... I think the Stornello is beautiful!  Way way better looking (to me) than a Stone.  The problem is (like I pointed out earlier) is to me, my Storello is so darn nice, I really don't want to get it dirty!  I have ridden down some non muddy dirt roads and it does clean up easily. 

... so a sensible plan might be find a reasonable priced Stone, swap tires to something more dirt worthy, and go ride.  If you end up bashing the pipes up you could probably find a used set of stock Stone pipes to replace them.

... with the Hagon longer travel enduro shocks, my Stornello's suspension is surprisingly very good.  A stock Stone suspension is not very good.  I would consider that a very worthwhile upgrade, and can be done to a Stone or Stornello or Rough, etc.

Stock Stornello shocks are the same as the V7ii Stone. Terrible pieces on all but smooth roads. The ONLY shocks I ever swapped out (I am NOT picky). The Hagon 420mm Enduro and Ktech fork springs gave about a 1" lift static, and 3/4" when seated. Dumb luck left me with the same rake as stock, with perhaps a bit of forward lean which works out well, similar to dropping the tubes in the triple trees.

You can find used Arrow Exhausts in the $500 range.

The Stornello tank cleans up nicely, and the frame washes clean with ease, as do the fenders. I treated everything with a Ceramic spray wax/coating and use it for cleanup and upkeep. Currently have the yellow bits on the bike, but will put white back on this spring.
MGNOC#23231

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 08:12:27 PM »
Lot's of good advice given here. I will add a few more thoughts:
- I used the MG racks and offset the right one with tubes and tube clamps from McMaster
- I went with the RaceTech rear shocks with 1 inch greater throw and their Gold Emulators for the front forks. Well worth the money.
- I added 2-inch Rox Risers for the handlebars to make them comfortable when standing on the pegs and replaced the OEM tubes with Pivot Pegz
- I've probably got about 1K miles off pavement. The limiting factor is the tires. With the 18-inch front there are not a lot of choices. I run the Shinko 705s.
- I don't get air as the forks don't have enough range and the sump is relatively low and unprotected
- The Stornello is a street bike with a little bit of off-road capability when modified. Oh, isn't that the definition of a scrambler?

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:32 PM »

I used a large 2" L bracket and bent it into a U for the upper mount, a 3" aluminum tube for the lower with a stainless carriage bolt, and then made a lower rear bracket out of aluminum stock. This goes across the back of the bike and I drilled a hole in the rear tail light/fender stay and and ran a bolt through the hole to stabilize. For fine tuning of the alignment and clearance I used stainless washers.

One thing I also did was to swap out the Arrow for a Mistral Can, is about 3/4" closer to the frame. Could also be done with the Arrow, but the spacers would have to be 3.75-4" rather than 3".

Super cool. Does it ever feel imbalanced with the off-center load?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here