Author Topic: Tire changer merged thread  (Read 11833 times)

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
Tire changer merged thread
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
With 7 motorcycles hanging around the house, I'm considering a tire changer.
Anyone have one?
Recommendations?
Regrets?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:14:18 PM by oldbike54 »
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

oldbike54

Re: Tire changer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
 NoMar .

Dusty

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »
NoMar .

Dusty
1+......and consider their attachment to a 2x2” hitch receiver, much more stable, and obviously more mobile than floor mount.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
I have changed several hundred tires on my No-Mar and am glad I bought what I did and have not looked for anything else.

After about 200 tires a couple welds broke on the base plate mount. A call to No-Mar and within a day a new one was shipped w/o hassle. I did have to cover shipping but it being 5 years old and the beer its made me over the years $14 wasn't too much to ask.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
I have a Harbor Freight model with Mojo Blocks. I only use the long bar on equipment tires, however. The long bar can easily mess up the runout on your motorcycle wheels. I stick to 9" Motion Pro levers and just use the stand to hold the wheel in a place that keeps me off the floor. It works great (but not with my new BMW).

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

twowings

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »

I recommend Christmas Abbott... :thumb:

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
No mar, had one for years.  I got the cheap one that you must set on the ground and brake the bead then put it on thr tire changer, and use a 3/8” ratchet to tighten the grippers to rim.  A freind in cycle shop has the more expensive one.  He sayes my is better.  Because it grip the rim better.Rudy

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
Second on christmas :drool:

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:18 PM »
I have a Harbor Freight model with Mojo Blocks.

Cheap Harbor Freight and the MoJo bar. I was changing about 4 of my own tires a year, and a number of them for friends. Worked well IMHO.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
Atlas TC-221 from Greg Smith Equipment. I really like the bead breaker.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
I have a Coats 200 in the shop that my brother bought for me for $320. Works very well, can't say if it's better or worse than any others since I've never used any others.  :wink:

Like this one:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:03:18 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:19:19 AM »
Hi Denis,

I have 4 bikes and been using a NoMar Classic for my personal bikes as well as a few friends. I have no regrets and has already paid for itself. I ended up bolting mine to my shop floor and hasn't failed yet. Just this past Sunday I changed tires of my Lemans IV as well as a Breva 1100. Wroks very well once you get the hang of it. There is also a good amount of 'how to videos' on youTube.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_Changer_p/tc-classic.htm

Brian
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 04:25:01 AM »
I have the HFT unit, with Mojo blocks, and I use a Mojo bar.

Works well, I am sure the NoMar is a superior unit, but I can't complain.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 04:25:32 AM »

I recommend Christmas Abbott... :thumb:

Shame she covered up all that natural beauty with bad paint.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 04:52:02 AM »
I have a Coats 220, similar to Charlie's but with more paint  :wink: .  I use it with the long bar that was part of the package.  It has definitely paid for itself -- 68 changes so far, about 2/3 of them on my tires.

I bought this one because the local motorcycle shop had the same type at the time (20+ years ago).  They then changed to a more automatic device -- pneumatic bead break and electric turn-style tire removal/installation.  Their tire changing became a lot easier.  If I had it to do over again (20+ years ago) I would buy one of those.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »
C clamp and a couple tire irons.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
C clamp and a couple tire irons.

For years I used a thing called a Tire Wizard.
Too bad it isn't still made. Nice and portable.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
I still have a Harbor Freight one bolted to the floor, but the long bar and one of the clamps broke - it really is pretty cheaply made.   I took almost everything off of it, put an old tire over the clamps to pad it, and just use it for a stand now; when I find a good 30-gallon drum, I'll take out the remains of the HF and use the drum as the stand ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 10:34:25 AM »
NoMar Classic here.

No issues

Get their lube.  Good stuff.

Offline Ken Po

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
I'll chime in with a thumbs up on the NoMar.  I bought the classic last July and changed three sets in one afternoon for my first try, including 190 series rear tires.  There are great YouTube videos showing how to change them on that unit.
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
2012 Griso SE (Tenni)
2009 Yamaha FZ1

"Those are my principles.  If you don't like 'em, I have others."  Groucho

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:09:35 PM »

I have used the Cycle Hill Tier Changer for about eight years now.  I had done my research and went with this model for several reasons.  It is a great little rig, really just another set of hands to help change the tires, has help up well.  These manual rigs do not compare with the Coats Units, those are some sweet. 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer-review/

On a comparison note:
I looked at both the No-Mar® changer and the Cycle Hill® which is made by No-Mar® and vacillated for quite a while before going with the Cycle Hill® unit.

The No-Mar® unit requires the spools from the Cycle Hill® unit to hold trail motorcycle rims and some others like some BMW tubeless wires.

While the No-Mar® unit allows for bead breaking to be done on the same vice that the tire is removed and replaced on, I have no problem with doing the bead breaking on the floor as per the Cycle Hill® machine.

The No-Mar ® machine also has a much faster, cam lever style clamping system, good for production in shops but I do not have that issue so the difference in cost was ultimately the decision maker, again, for me. YMMV. I change a bunch of my own tires in a year on a myriad of different motorcycles and this is going to be a big help.

The Cycle Hill® changer comes with the same removal tools as the No-Mar® unit.

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »
I have used the Cycle Hill Tier Changer for about eight years now.  I had done my research and went with this model for several reasons.  It is a great little rig, really just another set of hands to help change the tires, has help up well.  These manual rigs do not compare with the Coats Units, those are some sweet. 

https://www.webbikeworld.com/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer-review/

On a comparison note:
I looked at both the No-Mar® changer and the Cycle Hill® which is made by No-Mar® and vacillated for quite a while before going with the Cycle Hill® unit.

The No-Mar® unit requires the spools from the Cycle Hill® unit to hold trail motorcycle rims and some others like some BMW tubeless wires. Simply not true. I have never ran into a tire I couldn't change because I needed spools. The No-Mar cams work equally well for me on spoke or cast tube or tubeless wheels American, Asian or European bike of all walks.

While the No-Mar® unit allows for bead breaking to be done on the same vice that the tire is removed and replaced on, I have no problem with doing the bead breaking on the floor as per the Cycle Hill® machine.

The No-Mar ® machine also has a much faster, cam lever style clamping system, good for production in shops but I do not have that issue so the difference in cost was ultimately the decision maker, again, for me. YMMV. I change a bunch of my own tires in a year on a myriad of different motorcycles and this is going to be a big help.

The Cycle Hill® changer comes with the same removal tools as the No-Mar® unit. While the mount/dismount bar is nice in a lot of instances there are still times when I do use two 9" levers like when working on stiff walled or even worse scooter tires. I also use one 9" iron to hold the bead out while I slip the dismount bar in. Just works easier for me than the No-Mar jab it in method.

Some of the No-Mar stuff is great other stuff is not needed. Supposedly to change Golding tires you need the No-Mar clamps. I never had the need. 

Best,
Rob
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

Simply not true. I have never ran into a tire I couldn't change because I needed spools. The No-Mar cams work equally well for me on spoke or cast tube or tubeless wheels American, Asian or European bike of all walks.

Fair enough, this is from information that I gathered eight years ago when I bought the unit that I did.  At that time everything pointed to needing the spools for the BMW wires.  YRMV...  Perhaps the accesories and fitments have changed, I have not kept up with the NoMar. 

I too use tire irons to help hold the tire in place along with the cool little "Hand" to retain the tire also.

Best,
Rob

Click it...

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
I have a no mar classic, but for the trouble I'd rather take my wheels off and take them to my buddy who has a local independent bike shop. He gets me a good deal on the tires and puts them on for a fair price. My time is better spent selling elevators or rippin' around a corner somewhere in the Ozarks. And Brad keeps his doors open.

If I was retired, I might have a different attitude.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
Thanks for all the good info!

Right now the Eldorado needs a rear tire, the LeMans needs both tires and the Cal needs at least the front tire. Plus the 841 project needs two tires. So, all of that together is at least $150-200 just for a shop to do it. That's a large chunk of paying for a machine.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »
Visa card and I drive it down to the NoMar company in south St. Louis.   :thumb:  Works for me.  I hate changing tires (and oil).
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Changing tires with anything besides just tire irons is a breeze.  Only tire irons.....ugh......
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
"tire change stations", anyone?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
Anyone here bought a "tire changing station" for their garage? I'm in the market. Stable full of my own bikes, my wife's, my father in-law's... just makes sense, being out here in the boonies.

Bikemaster, Moose, etc... aynbody got any real world feedback before I drop the cash?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:38:39 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "tire change stations", anyone?
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »
NoMar
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "tire change stations", anyone?
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
Anyone here bought a "tire changing station" for their garage? I'm in the market. Stable full of my own bikes, my wife's, my father in-law's... just makes sense, being out here in the boonies.

Bikemaster, Moose, etc... aynbody got any real world feedback before I drop the cash?

"NO" on the Harbor Freight one.   I'm not downing all Harbor Freight's stuff, their bike lift has been working for me for years, but I've already broken two pieces off the tire changer.   All I use it for now is as a stand and a bead-breaker.   It's just made too cheaply for the job of changing tires.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here