Author Topic: Better "two-up" CalVin seat?  (Read 664 times)

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
Better "two-up" CalVin seat?
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
I dread rehashing an old topic.  However, searching old threads hasn't provided an answer. 

Looking to comfortably ride two-up on a CalVin. 

It's not a cushion issue.  More a cramped, crowded situation.  We are a "mature", sorta fluffy" pair. 
Helen and I are great on an ElectraGlide.  I don't necessarily need to go down that road.  Or the GoldWing highway, either. 

I'm not a fan of bucket seats.  Locked in to a position doesn't work well on a long ride. 
None too interested in going the RDL route. 
Rich Maund had done two Cal III saddles for me in the past.  Not an option any longer. 
May try to modify one of the two piece Cal III's to fit the CalVin. 

Before I drop close to $1,000 on a Corbin, it would be great to hear what other two-up CalVin riders have experienced. 

Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Better "two-up" CalVin seat?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
You might try Neds out in IA.  Don't know if Jim is doing the seat thing. But, it would be the way you want it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 09:30:09 AM »
I have a stock '03 EV seat, with a King of Fleece (R) cover on it.  I don't know if it will fit your bike, or if it is any more comfortable, but you can have it for shipping and a donation to this site.
Ned's seats are good- I have one and it is comfortable (it's a loop frame seat, though).
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
I have a stock '03 EV seat, with a King of Fleece (R) cover on it.  I don't know if it will fit your bike, or if it is any more comfortable, but you can have it for shipping and a donation to this site.
Ned's seats are good- I have one and it is comfortable (it's a loop frame seat, though).
J

Thanks for the offer.  Not sure what that seat looks like, or fit issues. Maybe a pic?
Kinda fell away from Guzzi California's between the Cal III and the CalVin. 
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:38 AM »

My friend put a top box on his calvin, the one time I was on it as a passenger, I found it super comfy...

Just in case you haven't tried it, a top box doubling as a back rest really adds a dimension of comfort to a pillion, physical and mental.

sheepskin is good too

If you're cramped, you might have to get a bigger bike?

(FWIW stock seat worked for me two-up on my calvin, every passenger I had on the back commented on how comfortable it was....)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »
I have a Ned's unit on my Cal Vin. UGE improvement for me, can't speak for a passenger, I'm not in to two up riding.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »
I had Sargent Saddle mod and recover my Griso seat and I'm happy with the results.  Another person told me that I better not look under the cover because he has seen where they have hacked someone else's seat, but I'm taking his advice and not looking.

The Griso seat slopes forward toward the tank and my left knee ended up against the jug every few miles.  They flattened the drivers area plus moved the rise to the passenger back an inch to get me away from the jug heat. 

There's not much room to play with Calvin seat due to the left jug hitting your knee going forward and and the need for pillion seating in the back.  As I recall the Corbin sacrifices the pillion seating some length wise.  There's always a compromise.

You probably want something more like the Guzzi  King/Queen that's on my EV .  It's about an inch taller, wider, flatter, and has a sharper rise to the pillion seating.  It looks similar to the Ned's that I've seen before as well.  I can measure mine if you go custom.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
Ned's will be a good option.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 08:17:51 AM »
There's not much room to play with Calvin seat due to the left jug hitting your knee going forward and and the need for pillion seating in the back.  As I recall the Corbin sacrifices the pillion seating some length wise.  There's always a compromise.

You probably want something more like the Guzzi  King/Queen that's on my EV .  It's about an inch taller, wider, flatter, and has a sharper rise to the pillion seating.  It looks similar to the Ned's that I've seen before as well.  I can measure mine if you go custom.

If the Corbin has a shortened pillion section that's out as an option. 

I'm thinking the pillion needs more room.  Whether it's two-up or the pillion loaded with camping gear, I feel crowded.  Maybe it's psychological?  I don't like backrests on bikes either

I have plenty of room up front for my 5'8"/29" inseam body.  In fact, I slide forward and lean into the bars during more aggressive solo rides. 

Regarding Ned's seats, I recall only seeing Cal 1100 2pc versions, more solo oriented. 
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here