Author Topic: Triumph Street Triple (NGC)  (Read 2230 times)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
Triumph Street Triple (NGC)
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
https://www.mthollymotorsports.com/Pre-Owned-Inventory-2012-Triumph-Motorcycle-Scooter-Street-Triple-R-Vincentown-New-Jersey-5754703

Buddy of mine is looking hard at this bike.  It's local to us.  I know a lot of you guys own Triumphs, anything specific to this year and model?  How's the price (dealer retail)?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Triumph Street Triple (NGC)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
Looks pretty sharp! Coming on to 7 years old tho, that's definitely a dealer price, offer a grand less?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »
Ha too funny, saw that bike there Tuesday when I was three in business (and for my annual can of Plexus lol).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
I'm a tiger 800 owner with about 35k put on mine that I got used (actually paid that same price for mine 2 years ago with similar mileage with about every accessory already installed.  First, they are priced quite high to start.  The street triple can be had for in that 4k range.  Yeah that has some aftermarket stuff but I wouldn't say anything "better" than stock.  Clutches are a bit weak esp for a sport bike, starter will likely need replaced or rebuilt soon.  The brushes are horrible in the street and the tiger- mine have been replaced twice as it creates so much "dirt" that when hot it just won't start.  There was an issue with the stator and wiring that was a recall thing.  A friend of mine's actually caught fire in his garage just before it was scheduled to go in for the recall wo make sure that was taken care of.   Aside from that just be sure that the 12k service was done.  Typically that is the really important one for the valves on the engine.  Service isn't cheap for Triumphs, if he can do his own work they are pretty simple to work on. 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
Cam:  is your friend a Guzzi guy?   Not sure these remarks are addressing your question, but here goes.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 16 Street Triple.  No mechanical issues, works great, very excellent power, brakes and handling.  I loved it for the test ride.  I love it for the first 30 minutes I ride it, each and every time.    But . . .

I much prefer my Guzzi.   Which I really like not just for the first 30 minutes.  On paper that makes no sense.   But it’s true, at least for me.

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
Ha too funny, saw that bike there Tuesday when I was three in business (and for my annual can of Plexus lol).

So what did you think Kev?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:36:26 AM »
So what did you think Kev?

I can't comment on condition, as it wasn't really on my radar and I didn't take a close look.

My instinct is they're a straight forward dealer so they likely have some profit in that number. But probably not unreasonable.

Unless this buddy is cash strapped I don't know that it's worth it to sweat it. If he likes it and the condition is right, why not...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
I have ridden a friend's Street Triple R a few times. It does everything right. However, the bolt-upright seating position is not something I could live with on a daily basis or for longer rides. As strictly a canyon carver or for short jaunts it is a blast to ride.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20:21 AM »
I'm a tiger 800 owner with about 35k put on mine that I got used (actually paid that same price for mine 2 years ago with similar mileage with about every accessory already installed.  First, they are priced quite high to start.  The street triple can be had for in that 4k range.  Yeah that has some aftermarket stuff but I wouldn't say anything "better" than stock.  Clutches are a bit weak esp for a sport bike, starter will likely need replaced or rebuilt soon.  The brushes are horrible in the street and the tiger- mine have been replaced twice as it creates so much "dirt" that when hot it just won't start.  There was an issue with the stator and wiring that was a recall thing.  A friend of mine's actually caught fire in his garage just before it was scheduled to go in for the recall wo make sure that was taken care of.   Aside from that just be sure that the 12k service was done.  Typically that is the really important one for the valves on the engine.  Service isn't cheap for Triumphs, if he can do his own work they are pretty simple to work on.

^^ NOTHING like the experience I've had with my '06 955i Tiger. I've replaced the stator and one coil pack in 73,000 miles. I don't even think he coil pack was bad, pretty sure the clip on the plug was loose causing a bad connection. Changed it anyway <shrug> The triple R is a runner, just not my cup of tea.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
My 955i Tiger was more solid built then my 800 is.  Far too heavy in the sand though.  If the 800 didn't have too tall of a first and too low of a 6th I'd be smitten.  Don't know if I would want a Thailand Tiger though as mine was still a Brit build.  My 885i though was the one I loved, had character and saved my life hitting a drunk driver at 50mph  for both of us.  Miss that kitty.  Just road mine tonight for the first time since I got my goose in Dec.  Knew I would be riding home in snow so no need to deal with crappy pirellis when I have reliable shinko big blocks.  :) 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline DC950

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:32 PM »
tomorrow I scrap my 2002 Speed Triple with 35k on the clock.  It started burning a quart of oil every 500 miles.  I then let it sit for 3 years.  Last week it showed 25 psi compression on the number 3 cylinder.  I didn't even bother to check the other 2.  A shop did a leak down test and all three cylinders were between 55% and 60% leakage.  It will cost at least half of what it is worth to fix it.  I bought it used with 10.6 on the clock.  This was my favorite bike ever.

I would be extremely reluctant to buy a used sport bike of any type.  I wouldn't even think of buying one without a compression and leak down test being done first.
Motorcycles.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
tomorrow I scrap my 2002 Speed Triple with 35k on the clock.

Heck, I'd at least sell it as a parts bike or part it out before I "scrapped" it.  There are plenty of those still on the road.  My brother picked up a nice one about a year ago with 10K miles for $1,500.  Seems a pretty solid machine. 
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline DC950

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
moving to Seattle in 13 days and can't take it with me.
Motorcycles.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
I see.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here