Author Topic: "Super" Lario/LM1 SB clone build w/Bubs music  (Read 59495 times)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "Super" Lario/LM1 SB clone build w/Bubs music
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
"Sucked in"??? Don't see how in a gravity fed, non-fuel pumped system. Something about this Lario that atypical? ???
Ok, it leaked in. What's thinner air or gas?  Lots of air in the lines. Came in through the banjo, rose up, fuel didn't like forcing its way down so well. I don't have an extreme downward run or probably could have. After the fix I see full gas lines again, no air. Will know for certain when I run her.

Edit:  Rain stopped; good run in; ran super, no sputter; lines are full of fuel ONLY.  Moral of the story: On a gravity fed system it's pertinent to have all hook-ups locked down.  Just because there's no fuel leaking out doesn't mean there's no air getting in.  Thanks again Father Guzzi for getting in the back of my head and staying there.  Also glad I had clear fuel lines.  Precisely why.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:25:25 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
No.....with petcocks open pressure in lines/banjos/all way to carbs should have the hydrostatic positive pressure of the distance from top of fuel level in tank to that level - sure you don't have a faulty gas cap vent?
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »
Nah, no vapor lock on the cap. If air keeps making its way in from the lowest point, gas has a harder time making its way down. All I know is once I stopped the air intrusion it filled with fuel (no gaps) and the bike runs perfectly again. That's all I did.
Vroooooom!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 04:11:41 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
Finally picked up my stock Lario today. Will get it on the road while my other is having its weep fixed.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:54:42 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2015, 06:05:58 AM »
Have had some saddle time with the stock bike and it runs very well. Differences are staggering in the two however as this engine feels much more sedate and small in comparison and the front forks/brakes/lowered stance upgrades are WORLDS apart. I'm rather shocked how "insecure" I now feel on the stock bike. Biggest thing are these flimsy forks. Good to re-visit. Can't wait to get the cafe back together starting today.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:39 PM »
Kev, as much as you rag on the stock Lario front end, I wonder if there isn't something wrong with it? Maybe steering head bearings or swing arm bearings? Mine is certainly no Ohlins bike, but it's uh.. ok. I pulled the front end apart last week and cleaned/lubed/adjusted the steering head bearings and it's rock solid again. I ran up to a bike show in Northern Indiana today, and I could set the throttle lock and run hands off at any speed. It's good enough that I'm going to spend the big bux and put FAC dampers on it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
Kev, as much as you rag on the stock Lario front end, I wonder if there isn't something wrong with it? Maybe steering head bearings or swing arm bearings? Mine is certainly no Ohlins bike, but it's uh.. ok. I pulled the front end apart last week and cleaned/lubed/adjusted the steering head bearings and it's rock solid again. I ran up to a bike show in Northern Indiana today, and I could set the throttle lock and run hands off at any speed. It's good enough that I'm going to spend the big bux and put FAC dampers on it.
Nah,simply put, these things aren't that solidly made. The Marzz are 35mm also and they are solid in static flexing whereas these are like toothpicks how much they flex. There's got to be big difference in road manners due to this.  I'm not a believer and wouldn't sink a dime into them from my experience. But... we differ on what we think of the stock brakes also.  Adequate... yep. I'm spoiled now I'll admit.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #217 on: May 23, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »
I notice you have a fork brace on your modified one, and none on the stock one.  Not fair.   :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:55 AM »
I notice you have a fork brace on your modified one, and none on the stock one.  Not fair.   :)

True. I modded my "fender mount" into a fork brace. It helps.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:43 AM »
Jim,
     The fender mount acts as a "fork brace" to a slight degree on stock Larios. There was nothing in the way of a fender on my cafe for a season so I added the brace. Yes, better than the stock brace no doubt, but my original study on static testing was with no brace and flexion of the inner/outer tubes when fore/aft pressure was applied. Worlds apart, and the stock had the advantage with the fender brace vs. nothing on the Marzz forks. Bottom line again is solidness of design and make-up. There's only so much a brace will do. The dampening I can live with on them. I'm a pretty forgiving rider, but the difference is staggering and I've found my proof as to why.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
The fender mount acts as a "fork brace" to a slight degree on stock Larios.
Only if you bin the rubber grommets and make delrin bushings..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:30 PM »
Exactly one week down for the seal replacement on the rear main shaft of the transmission. Got it home and found it wasn't charging. Thanks to the good folks here on WG we surmised it needed a re-flashing of the rotor with the stator. Put 12 volts through it and shazzam it came to life. One day for tear-down and one for re-build.  Guzzi shop did the nut from Hell and seal change.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:08:47 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
All is well that ends well; no leaks!
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here