Author Topic: MGX-21 Flying Fortress bat bike bagger merged threadfest  (Read 70408 times)

Vasco DG

Re: MGX-21 Flying Fortress bat bike bagger merged threadfest
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
Conversely just because it might be a cash cow doesn't mean that I shouldn't describe it as the ugliest turd that ever stuck it's head up over the parapet! It plumbs the Stygian depths of a black hole of awful. If that's what people want? That's fine! I'd rather dive naked into a lagoon full of hungry crocodiles coated in chicken blood than be seen out in public with it!

Pete

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
Conversely just because it might be a cash cow doesn't mean that I shouldn't describe it as the ugliest turd that ever stuck it's head up over the parapet! It plumbs the Stygian depths of a black hole of awful. If that's what people want? That's fine! I'd rather dive naked into a lagoon full of hungry crocodiles coated in chicken blood than be seen out in public with it!

Pete

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 10:25:30 PM »
I just got back from Newport Italian was a nice turn out about 40 people showed up and the bikes look great not my type but look great.  They put on a very nice presentation.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »
I just got back from Newport Italian was a nice turn out about 40 people showed up and the bikes look great not my type but look great.  They put on a very nice presentation.

Which bikes?  What were your impressions?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
I can see the appeal of the MGX21 to a certain type of motorcycle owner.

As a motorcycle rider, adding vintage style V7 bodywork to a Bellagio chassis would check lots of boxes for me...  Especially if it had an 8v top end!!!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:43:22 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »

I expected a bigger crowd in metro SoCal, lots of Moto Guzzi enthuisists in the region. 40 people? Disappointing.
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

lawries

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 12:36:55 AM »
I'm with Rocker. It's grotesque. And how could anyone who wasn't blind and/or brain damaged describe it as 'Sporty'? It's an enormous, ugly, indulgent turd of a thing. The person who dreamt it up should wake up tomorrow with people shovelling dirt on his face!

Unspeakable!

Pete

:+1

AGRO!

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 01:25:56 AM »
I found a proper picture

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
No.  It resembles a space alien from Mars.

Did Galluzzi hire some Honda designers?  FFS, this thing is atrocious.

No Galluzzi is looking toward the future.  This bike isn't designed for old farts though many will buy one.

When I saw the MGX-21 I kept thinking of "Sons of Anarchy's Bobbie character" with an updated European design.

I'm in Lust for the Audace Au-da-che.  Not as aggressive seating as the Griso's forward lean and lower, a 30" inseam is easy to flat foot - if your heavy enough.  The drag bars seemed to be a little narrower.  It's not a variation of a Griso, more a continuation of the Thug theme to the Californian.

Lower the hands and drop the fairing you'll end up with much the same seating position.  Again with SAMCRO reference

I can see where Galluzzi is making the Guzzi more 'Merican Outlaw -- which may really sell in Europe.  just as we lust after the European Super Sport, Adventure and Cruiser style here

I did ask Galluzzi about putting a 4v head on the V7 to bring up the HP.  His vision is it's more about the "Ride" and he's pretty happy with the V7

--------------However----------

A different approach on the V7 engine --- may --- be in the works.

I'd better get that Audace, a set of black leathers and holster up the 1911 Commander with extra mags.  I might need to head for the hills in Northern Cali
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
I'm not a cruiser guy, but I really like the MGX21.  I think I like the Audace better, but would really like to see both in person.

To me, the MGX21 is Guzzi's version of HD's Street Glide.  HD has made billions off their offering.

Randy

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
Ugly as sin. 

Waste of resources that would be better put to use elsewhere.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »
Ugly as sin. 

Waste of resources that would be better put to use elsewhere.
Yeah. And my resources will be better spent elsewhere if Guzzi's future means a lineup full of Cal 14 "customs".
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Yeah. And my resources will be better spent elsewhere if Guzzi's future means a lineup full of Cal 14 "customs".

Uhh, rant deleted. Me, too.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
Me three. And I've had a Cali but I think adopting it as their main big block platform is a retrograde step.

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »
OK , but how many NEW Guzzis have you guys bought recently ? ;D Vehicle manufacturers don't care about selling used , unless they are making money from financing . Really , while I am not a huge fan of the 1400 , at least some of the different finishes are interesting .

Dusty

My last *new* Guzzi was an 07 Norge. At this rate, it'll be my last new Guzzi, as much as it pains me to say it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
So 8 model years ago . Kind of my point . MG is going after a younger demographic .

Dusty

They're getting them with the V7. They could pander to us Walter Mitty types a little.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
Personally I'd like a Standard bike with the 8V motor. Take your basic V7 style and scale it up a bit for the larger motor.

Offer up the sport fairing as an option (like the old V11 Sport).

But it would be too retro for this market.  :P
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
OK, I have a '12 Stelvio and a '13 V7 sitting the garage.  I think the MGX21 is a POS.  I'm thinking about what it will take to replace the Stelvio...maybe a Triumph, maybe a BMW, maybe something from Japan...so far nothing comes close to what the Guzzi offers.  For the V7 I'm always looking for the next big thing.  Nothing seems to offer the right mix of style, ease of maintenance, and light weight...so far.  My point is that I'm open to other options.  That MGX12 is in the trash bin for me.  I think that the 1400 mill is just too heavy for my liking and anything with fwd controls is a joke.  Today I was on the Interstate and saw a few bikes, two with riders wearing Pagan colors.  They had ape hangers and loud pipes just to make sure they got noticed.  If that's the market Guzzi wants to emulate I think it's a huge mistake.

I agree with rboe, use the 8V motor and scale up the V7...then beef up the V7 and make a baby Stelvio!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline esmurrell

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
The great thing about this and other forums is that it gives a voice to all of us.  I for one think the MGX21 is an interesting bike.  Unless they make some critical changes between now and commercialization, I don't think I will buy one.  I hope they can get something out there that makes even a little sense for me.  They should still be working on a water cooled engine to underpin the next evolution of the Norge (please have cruise, TPMS and a radio) and putting a fairing on the California with some extra doodads works for me.  I'll even pay a reasonable dollar for it.  I love my Norge though it's down on power compared to my '14 R1200RT.  I dearly want to remain a Guzziphile.  Will give them every opportunity to get it right.
2014 BMW R1200RT
2012 MG Norge GT

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »
On the other hand, the thing about this form is we are all very much alike.  We are internet forum folks, and I suspect we are a little unique, as we mostly get along, mostly we like the same kind of stuff, give or take, and we mostly don't tear each other up.

We are a nitch, within a nitch.  And as passionate as we are, that makes us a poor indicator of the bigger market.   So we sit here at stir up what we want/don't want, but in the end I feel it has little to do with the broader market as a whole.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
We are a nitch, within a nitch.  And as passionate as we are, that makes us a poor indicator of the bigger market.   So we sit here at stir up what we want/don't want, but in the end I feel it has little to do with the broader market as a whole.

Yeah. I think you're right about that.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
Remember when Harley changed its marketing strategy. All the old school bikers were pissing and moaning about posers. Harley was almost dead at one time (AMF).
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
Guzzi has exhumed and hired the designer of the 1958 Cadillac.  I'm sure of it.  Eew...Rocker and Pete are right.  It's ghastly. 

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Penderic

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »
Meanwhile, back at the forum...

"I just asked what kind of oil substitutes I could use!"  ;D

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 01:17:43 AM »
I wasnt a fan at first because I thought those black blank-off fender panels were dumb. Now that people who have seen it in person are saying they have bags there instead makes me way more interested. I think I am the person they are going after with this. The 25-35 year old male. Everyone says that the Sons of Anarchy and the posser attitude is dumb and lame and all that good stuff... I can respect that. I can totally respect that.

I was 23 years old in Afghanistan with too much time on my hands. We had a "Share Drive" hooked up to the network with all kinds of movies, shows, games, pictures (most of those videos were of the adult variety). However there were some good movies and shows. One that caught me was SOA season 1. That show right there sparked my interest in motorcycles. It showed the brotherhood and it looked cool as hell. "looked" being the key word. Talked to my buddies who all rode and I bought a bike within weeks of being home. I couldn't afford a Harley, but i could afford the used 2003 Cali Aluminum for sale in San Diego. so began my Guzzi love affair.

You guys say what you want about the blacked out bagger look, it sells. It sells a lot. I could definitely see riding this with an 18 inch front wheel. It oozes bad ass-edness. Thats what my generation wants. Only thing i think could of been done better is if Guzzi brought this bike to the market 5 years ago. other than that, I think they hit the nail on head. They have the Norge for all you old guys and the v7 for all you simple dudes, the stelvio for the dirty-minded and now this for those who want to be badasses.... I think this is great. It will draw more people to the brand, which will create more revenue which in turn might create a new LeMans of something. I think it looks sweet. Bet its fast as hell compared to all the other baggers too....
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »
Good points Semper.

Personally it's not my style and I DO like Harleys and what not.

And I think I have to admit that for a long time I used to let some of the odd or silly parts if the Harley/cruiser culture get under my skin.

But I've been slowly coming around to how silly that is.

Apes and forwards may murder the function FOR ME (and many here), but they likely mean jack to the many who enjoy them, so why should we get all incensed about it.

As long as MG ALSO make bikes that appeal to us then there's no harm in them also making this... Actually it could be to everyone's benefit as increased sales would be a good thing.

Now about a big block V7-like standard ... That would be great.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

56Pan

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
I wasnt a fan at first because I thought those black blank-off fender panels were dumb. Now that people who have seen it in person are saying they have bags there instead makes me way more interested. I think I am the person they are going after with this. The 25-35 year old male. Everyone says that the Sons of Anarchy and the posser attitude is dumb and lame and all that good stuff... I can respect that. I can totally respect that.

I was 23 years old in Afghanistan with too much time on my hands. We had a "Share Drive" hooked up to the network with all kinds of movies, shows, games, pictures (most of those videos were of the adult variety). However there were some good movies and shows. One that caught me was SOA season 1. That show right there sparked my interest in motorcycles. It showed the brotherhood and it looked cool as hell. "looked" being the key word. Talked to my buddies who all rode and I bought a bike within weeks of being home. I couldn't afford a Harley, but i could afford the used 2003 Cali Aluminum for sale in San Diego. so began my Guzzi love affair.

You guys say what you want about the blacked out bagger look, it sells. It sells a lot. I could definitely see riding this with an 18 inch front wheel. It oozes bad ass-edness. Thats what my generation wants. Only thing i think could of been done better is if Guzzi brought this bike to the market 5 years ago. other than that, I think they hit the nail on head. They have the Norge for all you old guys and the v7 for all you simple dudes, the stelvio for the dirty-minded and now this for those who want to be badasses.... I think this is great. It will draw more people to the brand, which will create more revenue which in turn might create a new LeMans of something. I think it looks sweet. Bet its fast as hell compared to all the other baggers too....

It doesn't make any difference what old farts like me think of it, bud.  Get it and enjoy it.  And from an old Jarhead, all our porn in 'Nam was 8mm.  Black and white.  You guys had it made.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
I was 23 years old in Afghanistan with too much time on my hands. We had a "Share Drive" hooked up to the network with all kinds of movies, shows, games, pictures (most of those videos were of the adult variety). However there were some good movies and shows. One that caught me was SOA season 1.

My second son was "in-country" with the 1/7 not that many years ago.  I loaded him up with a 1TB hard drive, SOA Seasons and the complete Deadwood DVD's.

It's always good to hear that "red cross" packages sent did help.

It will always piss me off that I couldn't send some Tactical Bacon.

Which would go great with an Audace and Grappa --essentially Italian 'Shine' made from wine leftovers

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
My second son was "in-country" with the 1/7 not that many years ago.  I loaded him up with a 1TB hard drive, SOA Seasons and the complete Deadwood DVD's.

It's always good to hear that "red cross" packages sent did help.

My SIL was in Ramadi for a bit over a year with her unit (Marines), we sent a bunch of packages. Besides the food, baby wipes, and other personal items, I think she MOST appreciated the "Gatorade".

Of course, the "Gatorade" half gallon jugs had been dumped and replaced with grape vodka tinted with food coloring to look like "Gatorade".

:BEER:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:50:21 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:57 AM »
My SIL was in Ramadi for a bit over a year with her unit (Marines), we sent a bunch of packages. Besides the food, baby wipes, and other personal items, I think she MOST appreciated the "Gatorade".

Of course, the "Gatorade" half gallon jugs had been dumped and replaced with grape vodka tinted with food coloring to look like "Gatorade".

:BEER:
Ha ha. That's good. I've heard of listerine getting replaced. Gatorade is good.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here