Author Topic: Anyone using Windows 10?  (Read 59110 times)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone using Windows 10?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
That's so funny.  Especially since Apple peaked with the Apple IIe  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 08:10:26 AM »
Windows peaked at "Windows 98" and it has gotten worse with every "upgrade" since then.

I switched to a mac a long time ago and I have never looked back!

So if you never looked back, how do you know?    :rolleyes:

Methinks you and kent have formed a mutual admiration society.

Kentktk

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »
So if you never looked back, how do you know?    :rolleyes:

Methinks you and kent have formed a mutual admiration society.
Naw, just a mutual hatred for the crappy products Microsh-t makes.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Good discussion so far. :thumb:  I have a similar history like a number of you.  The current software loses me because of the proliferation of programs.  Anyone still using a word processor?  I found a manual typewriter and an electric one just to have as personal part of my history.  When I broke out the manual.  My youngest asked what it was.  :grin:  He's in-house computer resource person. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 03:43:37 PM »
Heck, I still have my Dad's 'laptop'.  An old Underwood portable typewriter.  I learned how to type on it (mother was a typing and shorthand teacher).  I used it up to the mid-80's.  Still had a lot of multi-part forms that had to fill out that would not fit in the computer dot matrix printer.

I wonder, do the Microsoft haters with Macs use something other than Excel and Word?  :D  :D  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
Naw, just a mutual hatred for the crappy products Microsh-t makes.

Moe like a mindless hatred of what you're incapable of understanding.

BTW -- despite your claims, that airline of yours had nothing but W7 machines in sight at the various airports and offices I've been visiting lately. 

Back on topic  --  I bought a FACIT 'lectronic typewriter back in the day for $1700 because I couldn't afford a computer.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
I wonder, do the Microsoft haters with Macs use something other than Excel and Word?  :D  :D  :D

You're give the haters too much credit. They barely know how to surf the web.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Kentktk

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
Moe like a mindless hatred of what you're incapable of understanding.

BTW -- despite your claims, that airline of yours had nothing but W7 machines in sight at the various airports and offices I've been visiting lately. 

Back on topic  --  I bought a FACIT 'lectronic typewriter back in the day for $1700 because I couldn't afford a computer.
But they gave pilots iPads for critical flight information, because it`s important to have equipment that`s reliable and works when airborne.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
But it's NOT critical to have a reliable device anywhere else in the organization?  You could be alone in a room and still not be the smart one.

Kentktk

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 09:40:04 PM »
But it's NOT critical to have a reliable device anywhere else in the organization?  You could be alone in a room and still not be the smart one.

You think making making a reservation for a customer is as critical as being airborne and needing a chart so as to not hit a mountain? No wonder you are an apologist for Microsh-t and have your head buried in the sand.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
egad enough already.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Penderic

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
I am getting targeted by them! Windows Ten Update powers up my sleeping desktops' hard drive and power supply, but not the monitor or any indicator lights, and then after 3 or 4 minutes reverts back to normal sleep mode.

Then about half an hour later, does it again. The noise of the motors and fans wake me up and I have to shut down the computer if I want to sleep undisturbed.

I looked at the Update history and see several Windows 10 Upgrade failed messages.  :huh: Go away!

Cheeky!

And wasting my bandwidth too!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
You think making making a reservation for a customer is as critical as being airborne and needing a chart so as to not hit a mountain? No wonder you are an apologist for Microsh-t and have your head buried in the sand.

From a corporate point of view it's all critical. A computer glitch anywhere in the network can affect passenger safety and air travel for everyone at a regional or global level. If the airline really felt the way you think, there wouldn't be a windows machine in their inventory.  But as I said and anyone can easily verify, your airline runs on Microsoft.  That's a fact.

And no, I'm not an apologist for microsoft.  I do however oppose mindless bullshit wherever I encounter it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »
I am getting targeted by them! Windows Ten Update powers up my sleeping desktops' hard drive and power supply, but not the monitor or any indicator lights, and then after 3 or 4 minutes reverts back to normal sleep mode.

Then about half an hour later, does it again. The noise of the motors and fans wake me up and I have to shut down the computer if I want to sleep undisturbed.

I looked at the Update history and see several Windows 10 Upgrade failed messages.  :huh: Go away!

Cheeky!

I can only speak o the failed updates -- I don't know how your computer is configured, so I don't know if it's set to 'wake up' for network traffic or not.  Personally I never 'sleep' or 'hibernate' a computer.  If I want it to stop, I shut it down.

Updates come down that don't apply to all computers.  For example, if you don't have dotnet 4.5 on your machine, updates will be downloaded, but will 'fail' to load because you don't need them.  It doesn't mean there was a malfunction.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2015, 10:31:31 PM »

Cheeky!

Right now, the Win10 update servers are getting slammed. Not only is there an ongoing stream for queued upgrades, there has been a release of a cumulative upgrade for those systems already on Win10 (sveral upgrades of the security/driver/stability type, and a Silverlight update as well).

As noted, the design for Win10 Home is that
  • Everyone is on cable or DSL with lots of free bandwidth
  • Everyone is too technically ignorant to manage their own upgrades and security (this may be more true than we'd like to admit)
  • Everyone sleeps between 1 am and 6 am, and keeps their computer somewhere well away from their bedroom
  • Everyone prefers convenience to privacy
  • Everyone is comfortable with the Android upgrade model, where you get it when they send it and you don't pay for it
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2015, 01:53:27 AM »
Love the discussion of old machines.  My first computer programming classes were in 1967 using a remote input device to an IBM 1400 series.  My first PC was a Heathkit H-89 with 64K or RAM initially running CP/M and later Z-DOS.  Hacked BIOS so that the machine would read 2 single-sidded, single-density 5.25" floppy disc drives (180K each) and eventually the TM-100-2 drives which were double sidded-single density at 360K for a total of 720K of online storage.

Great days running CP/M and Wordstar.

Oh yes, my windows 10 upgrades went well on two of my machines, but I'm waiting for a consensus on the working of Adobe Creative Cloud before upgrading my primary machine.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Kentktk

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 03:29:41 AM »
From a corporate point of view it's all critical. A computer glitch anywhere in the network can affect passenger safety and air travel for everyone at a regional or global level. If the airline really felt the way you think, there wouldn't be a windows machine in their inventory.  But as I said and anyone can easily verify, your airline runs on Microsoft.  That's a fact.

And no, I'm not an apologist for microsoft.  I do however oppose mindless bullshit wherever I encounter it.

A computer glitch at the wrong moment airborne will KILL 180 people. A computer glitch ( more likely on Microsh-t ) anywhere else is just an inconvenience. Why do you think the corporate point of view was to pick Apple for the most critical area of passenger safety? it certainly isn`t because Apple is cheaper and Airlines are the cheapest corporations out there. The FAA needed reassurance cockpit computer replacement of paper charts was going to work correctly and be reliable on commercial airliners and they gravitated to iPads. I find that rather interesting.

I know we use Windows everywhere else, that`s a fact! But would anyone except one grumpy old man care enough to "easily verify" if we do? :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:59:37 AM by Kentktk »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2015, 07:53:21 AM »
Yep, those are just devices that hold all the flight charts.  Not flight critical.  If they fail the plane won't crash.  These days they are backup to the backup since the planes have glass cockpits with backups in the dash.

I wonder how often the pilots even look at those when in flight (when not surfing the net, sending emails, checking schedules, etc).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:42 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Rodekyll, Wayne, CharlieB, and ITSec. When I see you guys post about computers I pay attention. Bill Havins too. Others, not so much.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
It's amazing to me, who learned to navigate with my finger on the chart, a compass and ship's clock, what is available now. I flew all around this weekend with an aviation app on my fone in Mouser. (!) All the charts are up to date with your airplane shown on them by gps. Any navigation information is instantly available. If you want, it'll do a "glass cockpit" or steam gauge display, and ..ahem.. could be used in an emergency as flight information in the clouds. (!) I have it on an Android tablet, too. Costs $75 a year. Unbelievable.. Oh, yeah. Weather overlay. The airlines didn't have this level of info just a few years ago.
Takes all the skill out of it though.. :)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »
LOL know what you mean.  Too easy to fly with all the extra stuff now days.

Father-in-law was an instructor and used to give students a test in night flying, especially those who liked the modern stuff.  Would take them up and fly around over the Gila wilderness area.  Below a certain altitude the VOR did not work, DF was spotty and there were no lights on the ground.  He'd leave the GPS off.  Then have them find their way home.  Some would get so flustered they would forget there was a compass.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
Love the discussion of old machines. My first computer programming classes were in 1967 using a remote input device to an IBM 1400 series.  My first PC was a Heathkit H-89 with 64K or RAM initially running CP/M and later Z-DOS.  Hacked BIOS so that the machine would read 2 single-sidded, single-density 5.25" floppy disc drives (180K each) and eventually the TM-100-2 drives which were double sidded-single density at 360K for a total of 720K of online storage.

Great days running CP/M and Wordstar.

Oh yes, my windows 10 upgrades went well on two of my machines, but I'm waiting for a consensus on the working of Adobe Creative Cloud before upgrading my primary machine.

jdg

Gotcha beat. 1962 and a Univac. (!) Gotran and Fortran..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Kentktk

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:54 PM »
Get out much.
http://news.delta.com/delta-equip-11000-pilots-microsoft-surface-2-tablet-devices

Apparently you don`t, old news. Delta has an exclusive business travel contract with MS. My pilot friends at Delta weren`t happy with having to use the POS Surface, but it was forced on them for obvious reasons.

Kentktk

« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
Yep, those are just devices that hold all the flight charts.  Not flight critical.  If they fail the plane won't crash.  These days they are backup to the backup since the planes have glass cockpits with backups in the dash.

I wonder how often the pilots even look at those when in flight (when not surfing the net, sending emails, checking schedules, etc).

Totally flight critical, you need to know what you are talking about. There is no backup for terminal charts in glass cockpits they contain flight instruments with some navigation but not what you need for terminal arrivals. BTW, there is no "dash" in an aircraft

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »

That's about the same time as my dad. He graduated from UW in 66. After Vietnam he had Adm. Grace Hopper as his instructor. :D Retired after 40+ years as a COBOL programmer even though people kept staying COBOL was a dead language. He's not to impressed with today's programmers most whom he days don't even know how a computer works.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
That's about the same time as my dad. He graduated from UW in 66. After Vietnam he had Adm. Grace Hopper as his instructor. :D Retired after 40+ years as a COBOL programmer even though people kept staying COBOL was a dead language. He's not to impressed with today's programmers most whom he days don't even know how a computer works.

-AJ

Love Adm. Grace.  I had a nano-second for a long while.  Lost it in a move or a divorce.

COBOL rocks.

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »

Then again, you're much older than I am  :evil:

Yep, Fortran with no numbers behind it; ALC and BAL - yep, them was fun days  :boozing:

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2015, 03:09:14 AM »
Maybe they give toys like iPads and Windows tablets to pilots. But take a look at the specifications of e.g. an iPad: https://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/specs/ . does anybody think that those things are used for anything safety-related? No toy of this sort is in any way certified as navigational aid or so. They may use those pads a notebook (in the old sense). But a device that has a rated max. altitude of 10 000 ft? The Klemm 107s of my best friends fly above that!
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Kentktk

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »
Maybe they give toys like iPads and Windows tablets to pilots. But take a look at the specifications of e.g. an iPad: https://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/specs/ . does anybody think that those things are used for anything safety-related? No toy of this sort is in any way certified as navigational aid or so. They may use those pads a notebook (in the old sense). But a device that has a rated max. altitude of 10 000 ft? The Klemm 107s of my best friends fly above that!

Well your wrong.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ipad+in+cockpit&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB4QsARqFQoTCN_A9rmfsscCFYMwiAody74Apg&biw=1920&bih=928#imgrc=2gfi6XoOhDzH3M%3A
Airliners are pressurized so the cabin/cockpit never exceed 10,000 ft. so that rated max altitude is exactly what is needed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:25:16 AM by Kentktk »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here