Author Topic: EICMA 2015 - New V7 Roamer/Bobber and MGX-21 Bagger The photos are rolling in.  (Read 122750 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I would jump for joy if they resurrected Ippogrifo !!!

Yeah, I was on pins and needles because it was ground breaking tech in the mid 90s. I would have bought one in a heartbeat..as would have many. A great opportunity lost for whatever reason.. it's still a viable concept 20 years later. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
Because motorcycles should look like MOTOR CYCLES and not transformers.

WAY too many modern bikes, from Ducs to YamaHonDuKAwaSukis look like insectoids or modern art experiments. Gone are the flowing lines and eye pleasing proportions. Replaced and inorganic irregular crystalline shapes.

I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to have an organic shape with a single rate rear shock and USD forks and mags, it's just rarely seen.

I wouldn't object to those things, if the overall shape still hearkened to a MOTOR CYCLE.

Amen! 

And mind the buzzing beetle.  [img width= height= alt=Google&#39;s Lady Beetle]http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/f7/77/f7778f0d47fb823fe77a8bba22720501.png[/img]   :whip2:
Owen

2014 V7 Special

lucydad

Hard to please crowd.

Love the Racer III concept.  Hopes are up for a new bike in 2016 that I just can't resist.  I would love to piss Ms. LD off with a another new bike, this time a Guzzi with a bit more punch, a lot more braking, and all that beautiful styling of my 2012 V7R.

Yep, Triumph STRX looks like a Klingon war bird, but wow does Mary Anne fly and corner and brake!!  Can we have a bit of that modern technology in a Guzzi please, but with out the big block 1400 weight? 

Time will tell.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I did it because I find your whole attitude and views offensive and narrow minded. The heinous stench of your view permeates this board with your self-important holier-than-thou backwards attitude that would have Guzzi only building 2 valve pushrod twin shocked naked motorcycles.

As I Said, go and hide yourself.

:laugh:

What?

Uh, if you're poking my ribs, fine that's cool. I can laugh at my own idiosyncrasies.

But if you really think that, then F off, cause I've never professed such crap.

I have expressed MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE for the aesthetics of a more traditional LOOKING Guzzi.

I have said my big block, 2-valve B11 was all the motor I NEEDED.

I similarly am thrilled with my current smallblock and feel no need to replace it with an 850 or 4V.

But no where in my posts have you ever seen an opinion that either suggests or hopes that Guzzi doesn't progress.

You MAY have seen a hope that even if they do, they continue to also build a product that I prefer (the more simple the better, with performance levels they've already achieved).

But that doesn't preclude their ALSO building something water-cooled, svelte, etc. that I'd never buy, but perhaps you and others would, as long as it advanced the brand.

And I wouldn't automatically shun a single-shocked smallblock. It would depend on the whole package and the aesthetics that come with it.

Anyway, I hope you're just busting my balls and don't actually misunderstand me that badly.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

Offline O

• Gosling
LD, I'd definitely make an exception for your triple (as well as the Brutale 675 for that matter).  Those are two very cool looking, modern motos, but they don't tug at my heart like the classic lines of the V7 do.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
Because motorcycles should look like MOTOR CYCLES and not transformers.

WAY too many modern bikes, from Ducs to YamaHonDuKAwaSukis look like insectoids or modern art experiments. Gone are the flowing lines and eye pleasing proportions. Replaced and inorganic irregular crystalline shapes.

I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to have an organic shape with a single rate rear shock and USD forks and mags, it's just rarely seen.

I wouldn't object to those things, if the overall shape still hearkened to a MOTOR CYCLE.

I disagree,

Go to your local showroom and inspect the Panigale. It is a passionate and intelligent design which pushed the bar higher. I appreciate a naked bike but if im getting a V7 it will be the real thing instead of some lazy capitalization on a generation who can now afford what they used to drool after as kids.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I disagree,

Go to your local showroom and inspect the Panigale. It is a passionate and intelligent design which pushed the bar higher. I appreciate a naked bike but if im getting a V7 it will be the real thing instead of some lazy capitalization on a generation who can now afford what they used to drool after as kids.

Well, couple of thoughts.

1. Like whatever you want, you'll get no objection from me.

2. Just cause I mentioned Ducs doesn't mean they ALL fall in that insectoid category. I was thinking more the Multis, and maybe the latest Monsters. That said, the Panigale is just plain not MY preference of a bike. Full-fairings are non starters TO ME. I prefer to see the motor. The fairing gives me NOTHING in personally looking for in function.

3. The use of "real thing" in such an obviously incorrect way is funny. And I was too young to know or care about the "OLD" V7. But having ridden the vintage, I'll take my new "fake" one any day. It's MY preference. Which shouldn't mean shyte to you, never mind bother you.

So I guess it's cool, we can disagree. That's the beauty of opinions. I'm not attempting to persuade you to feel differently.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

lucydad

O,

Thanks for your comment.  Both bikes are waiting in the garage for my last vacation day tomorrow, Friday.  Which bike gets rolled out?  It will be the V7R.  And why is that?  Sheer beauty and character and the fact that Little Goose, the V7R, loves to be flogged to the limit.  She demands specific attention, technique and care to give her best ride.  We ALWAYS have fun.  Time for a new rear tire though, number three. I cleaned her up a few weeks back.  Need to add the big top bag and side bags and prep for motorcycle camping as October progresses. 

The STRX is a screaming bitch of a bike.  Sharp as a razor.  Damn fun.  Character is in the sound and brutal acceleration and handling. Mary Anne demands I am also sharp and focused, all the time.  The Guzzi is much more relaxing. 

If I could change one thing on the Guzzi:  better and stronger brakes. 

Offline O

• Gosling
I disagree,

Taste is certainly subjective, and to each there own.  When I look at the Panigale, all I see is a lot of plastic and way more ponies than will ever be safely used on the road.  No thanks.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
I disagree,

Please.  I have an original V7 Sport and a new V7 Special.  Love them both for different reasons.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
I'm sorry Kev, this IS a real motorcycle. It's gets my blood going and that's possibly because I'm halfway through a bottle of Amarone :boozing:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Hey it's all good. I don't have to share your tastes to understand them. It's just not my type.

Or as Jerry Seinfeld once said "not that there's anything wrong with THAT!"

:wink:

No seriously, I really can understand it... I just know myself well enough. And I'm happy to have found this clarity. It wasn't easily won.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
I would jump for joy if they resurrected Ippogrifo !!!
Is Galluzzi that design the Guzzi bikes now, and it seems improbable that he will simply resurrect a 1997 prototype.
But he is surely able to design a nice motorcycle.
The Ippogrifo example is to say that "between a Nevada and a Bellagio" could mean many things, even (hopely) a very nimble-looking classic-cruiser.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
I did it because I find your whole attitude and views offensive and narrow minded. The heinous stench of your view permeates this board with your self-important holier-than-thou backwards attitude that would have Guzzi only building 2 valve pushrod twin shocked naked motorcycles.

Don't sugar coat it, let us know how you really feel...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero

It's one thing to parrot other's opinions on bikes, and TRY to be a Pete Roper wanna-be (there's only one).

You don't have to be a wanker when others intelligently state their's - One that many of us share. 

Plenty of diverse Guzzis to go around.  Now go dry-hump your Griso, they are beautiful.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
I'm sorry Kev, this IS a real motorcycle. It's gets my blood going and that's possibly because I'm halfway through a bottle of Amarone :boozing:

Mehhh... doesn't do it for me... but to each their own.  Back in the late 80's had a BMW K bike, full of grunt and plenty horses for the time.   But I never really loved the aesthetic.  Same for a suzuki Vstrom 650 I owned for about 6 months... great bike but I just couldn't get around to loving the looks.

I suppose this child of the 60's and 70's just prefers the 'old school' standard bike... not that I don't appreciate the 'transformer' shivers and panigales and adventure bikes... they just don't appeal to me like a standard motorcycle does.  Sportster, V7, CB1100, bonneville, etc... just look gorgeous to my eye.

An 850 MG with more uumph and V7 looks?  I'd be all over that!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
I honestly tried for YEARS to LOVE the look of my Breva.

I chose the color that I did because it downplayed some of the angles. I painted some things black and added black accessories for the same reason.

The motor and chassis FUNCTIONED wonderfully. It was a very capable bike that had a lot going for it.

Like an arranged marriage, I eventually came to "appreciate" the look, but never fell in love.

My little V7 however was love at first sight.

And no, it doesn't have (even after replacing the shocks) as GOOD a suspension as even the stock B11. And no the motor doesn't pull like the freight train the B11 was. And the brakes aren't nearly as strong.

But it's a HELL OF A LOT more comfortable in hot weather, probably more fun in the curves, and I can't keep myself from turning and looking back at it when I walk away.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:50:34 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
Don't get spun up on the Nevada thing. If sightings are even credible, it might be camouflage.  I would expect a similar look to the V7. Same 5.8 tank, new 6 speed tranny. The V7 is their BEST selling machine.

I would expect an 850 bump to the v7 line. It's their best seller but therecare many wanting that bike with a bit more....... Balls..... :bike-037:

A new 850 LeMans would make my decade... :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:52:16 AM by Rox »
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
I would expect an 850 bump to the v7 line. It's their best seller but therecare many wanting that bike with a bit more....... Balls..... :bike-037:

A new 850 LeMans would make my decade... :popcorn:

I would be expecting a short stroke 1200 rather than a 850 small block. Purely they have sunk money into the small block development however I think the small block is in a similar place the old big block was a few years ago when the Griso 1100 was a thing. Its reached the end of its potential development it needs a clean sheet redesign if you want more power etc. With emissions etc you may as well go down the hybrid or direct injected water cooled route.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Its reached the end of its potential development

Not really. The Heron heads are so 50ish. Mike has proved what 4V heads can do on a 750.  The Aero engines' Hemi head is an absolute hoot. Put either setup on an 850, and you have an easy 60 horsepower..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Penderic

How a Guzzi brand sidecar option?  :boozing:

Some bikes work better with a sidecar...

Nah .... not enough demand.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
No particular argument here, however those modifications may be impossible due to emissions concerns.

Wouldn't a properly designed 4 valve head do better emissions-wise than a Heron or hemi head? 
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Wouldn't a properly designed 4 valve head do better emissions-wise than a Heron or hemi head?

Obviously, they can get past emissions with the new 4 valve big blocks. F.I. can do many things carbs can't to make that happen.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
There isn't a distribution scheme used on the Big Block, or in any other air cooled engine, that can't be used with equal success in the SB. 2 valves, 4 valves, raised camshaft, desmo, OHC, DOHC...

DogW
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:56:58 AM by Dogwalker »

biking sailor

O,

Thanks for your comment.  Both bikes are waiting in the garage for my last vacation day tomorrow, Friday.  Which bike gets rolled out?  It will be the V7R.  And why is that?  Sheer beauty and character and the fact that Little Goose, the V7R, loves to be flogged to the limit.  She demands specific attention, technique and care to give her best ride.  We ALWAYS have fun.  Time for a new rear tire though, number three. I cleaned her up a few weeks back.  Need to add the big top bag and side bags and prep for motorcycle camping as October progresses. 

The STRX is a screaming bitch of a bike.  Sharp as a razor.  Damn fun.  Character is in the sound and brutal acceleration and handling. Mary Anne demands I am also sharp and focused, all the time.  The Guzzi is much more relaxing. 

If I could change one thing on the Guzzi:  better and stronger brakes.

LD, I understand where you are and think I'm in the same place.  My garage currently has a Thruxton and a Street Triple R setting in it.  Same maker but two completely different rides and looks.  I like them both for what they are, very opposite designs when speaking to aesthetics.  Variety is nice.

Penderic

Bold new paint jobs? .... probably more boring greys, black colours and more flat or solid colours....

How about some really bold Italian themes for a change?

Hmmm, maybe too bold!  :copcar:

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
Fake boobies. Meh.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Not really. The Heron heads are so 50ish. Mike has proved what 4V heads can do on a 750.  The Aero engines' Hemi head is an absolute hoot. Put either setup on an 850, and you have an easy 60 horsepower..
Any thoughts about how the bottom end of the small block might react to handling 60, maybe more hp?  I'm only asking, because I know so little about the SB. My understanding is that it originated as a (350?) ..... can that be right?

I've wondered if, after all the redesign Guzzi put into the small block, there was some reason they didn't go for another 10hp while they were at it?
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
It originated as a 500 in 1977.  The 350 came a year later.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
Why re-do the V7 line with an 850 engine? They seem to be selling about all they can make of them and their owners don't seem to mind the bike's 1960's performance stats.
North Carolina

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here