Author Topic: The Automotive world gets rocked by Hyundai!!!  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: The Automotive world gets rocked by Hyundai!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 07:15:03 AM »
They've teased one for almost a decade but the Chicken Tax makes importing a competitively priced small truck impossible.
What’s a chicken tax?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
What’s a chicken tax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

In short, it is the reason Toyota and Nissan build their "imported" trucks in US plants.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
 I thought this was a motorcycle site.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
"Its not the crate, its the guy in the crate" Chuck Yeager
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a29685009/2020-hyundai-veloster-n-video-review-track-matt-farah/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a29640493/2020-performance-car-of-the-year/

Meh it's just an opinion that they think it is more well rounded even if it doesn't match many of its competitors in certain performance metrics.

That's basically like saying The Guzzi Smallblock is the performance bike of the year....

Mostly it sounds like a magazine trying to remain relevant.

It had the second slowest 0-60, second slowest lap time (both times only the Miata was slower in the odd field they chose to test).

Very few to none of us drive a car on the road using performmance you use on a track..Most of the time is just driving at a reasonable speed...How the car feels in this situation is far more important than bragging right to track perfromance..

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 08:15:04 AM »
Very few to none of us drive a car on the road using performmance you use on a track..Most of the time is just driving at a reasonable speed...How the car feels in this situation is far more important than bragging right to track perfromance..

You're preaching to the choir. My point - well, basically that it's a dumb article. Stupid to compare a McLaren to a Hyundai or Miata just like it would be dumb to compare a Panigale to a Guzzi Smallblock.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »
Performance Car of The Year is front wheel drive?
This says more about Road and Track magazine than the Hyundai.

I have to disagree about FWD.  I think it's great for lightweight cars, like hot hatches.  Try a Mini Turbo, GTI, Focus ST, Kia/Hyundai Turbo, Civic SI/T-R.  And I think my Accord stick shift drives great and sporty- I like it better than the slushbox 3 series I tested.

They handle great, you can throw them into curves.  I have a 'vette and have to turn down the traction control to even feel the 430 lb ft of torque kick the back end, much less power slide it.  I think on a mountain road, agile FWD with a little understeer is great. My son's ST is quicker around town than my 'vette due to its size and agility. 

And should a performance car have a stick?  Only the Mazda and Hyundai in the test had manual transmissions available. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
Look at the link to the article, the result is completely subjective. The Veloster didn't shame anything but the Miata.

factor in cost, gas mileage, maintenance costs, miles cars are actually driven, emissions.   There are many "performance" parameters that Veloster wins.  It's also one of the few "drivers cars" with a stick shift.  Subjective, yes but tangibly better in several categories.

I think most important is miles actually driven.  I don't see a lot of performance for $200k car, driven 2k miles per years and needing a new set of tires.  I think it's got to be driven to perform.  If it's not driven, it's largely a white elephant. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
 Real hot rods have clutches .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
You're preaching to the choir. My point - well, basically that it's a dumb article. Stupid to compare a McLaren to a Hyundai or Miata just like it would be dumb to compare a Panigale to a Guzzi Smallblock.

You're in a related business.   Do you think that the main, career-enhancing, money-making motivation of the writers of the article was:

1) Making sure that the tests are as absolutely objective and fact-based as possible?

2) Maintaining standards of journalistic integrity regardless of the cost or results?

3) Making sure that the magazines largest advertisers are happy with the results?

4) Selling the greatest number of magazines and maximizing profits?

Choose more than one!    I think I know the answers, but ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
Real hot rods have clutches .

Dusty

Every car I have owned since I got my license in 1964 has had a third pedal...Although only a few were hot rods... :grin:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
factor in cost, gas mileage, maintenance costs, miles cars are actually driven, emissions.   There are many "performance" parameters that Veloster wins.  It's also one of the few "drivers cars" with a stick shift.  Subjective, yes but tangibly better in several categories.

I think most important is miles actually driven.  I don't see a lot of performance for $200k car, driven 2k miles per years and needing a new set of tires.  I think it's got to be driven to perform.  If it's not driven, it's largely a white elephant.

Again, you're preaching to the choir here and every one of you Mofo's better STFU about the Moco after making my arguments for me.  :kiss:  :evil:

THESE are similar reasons why I ride Harleys and Guzzis (especially the smallblocks these days), and I GET IT I really do, I just don't claim that they ARE "performance bikes of the year" when I choose them.

Lannis I think we all know the answer there... and I don't necessarily disagree with the reasoning why they PREFERRED the Hyundai for the real world, but then again that's NOT what most of those other cars were about in the first place.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
It’s nice to see more manufacturers continuing to up their game and offering stylish cars with nice driving dynamics that are also reliable and inexpensive. Companies without inbred arrogance tend to get my business as well as my respect. Life is too short to spend money on fading overplayed image over lively function.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
Performance Car of The Year is front wheel drive?
This says more about Road and Track magazine than the Hyundai.

:thumb:

No idea why people read that stuff. If those types of articles meant anything, we certainly wouldn't be riding Moto Guzzi's.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
I'd rather read about anything than Hyundai's. I am sitting on a time bomb, 2011 first year of the recalls to hundreds of thousands of Hyundai and Kia 4 cylinder engines that were not cleaned correctly after milling. They even installed a governor in it incase the engine starts to fail and it doesn't allow you to go about 1900 RPMs so you can limp to a dealer before it locks up. They extended the warranty by 10,000 miles but did not extend the years. I only have 67K on it and and most of the failures start occurring from from the 60K to 100k miles although some engines failed at 5K.
I am using a quart at 3K. I have bought many cheap used cares that never used a quart at 3K. I am probably going to pull this oil at 2500 miles and send it off to be analyzed.  I have all oil changes done at Sonata so they cannot claim I did it incorrectly.
I talked to the service manager  at my dealer 2 years ago and he said they were a month behind on replacing short blocks in these cars. Only my 2nd new car and waiting for it to fail.

Red 90 Mille GT

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »
As a side note.  Electric cars are now out selling manual transmission cars by almost two to one in the US.

According to JD Powers, stick now has a market penetration of 1.1%, while EV are at 1.9% and rapidly increasing.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/electric-cars-outsell-manual-transmissions/

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:16:10 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
As a side note.  Electric cars are now out selling manual transmission cars by almost two to one.

According to JD Powers, stick now has a market penetration of 1.1%, while EV are at 1.9% and rapidly increasing.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/electric-cars-outsell-manual-transmissions/

Makes me want a stick shift E car  :grin:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
So far as driving a Mclaren vs Veloster on a spirited twisty road?  I'd take the Hyundai anyday.  The former would get you killed while the later would be fun.
John L 

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
The Hyundai Genesis is a damn fine car. Right there with Lexus for less money.

As for the Vette, Chevrolet put on a dog and pony show in late summer. A dealer could get the car (orange) for one day at the dealership for a mere $30,000. Lots of displays came with it. Kitty Van Bortel, a Rochester NY Subaru and Chevy dealer brought it in. Her allotment of Vettes for 2020 is 120 cars. They sold 20 that day and half their allotment by one week later! Consider this - the car went to 3 Rochester area dealers for that one day showing. It went to no dealers in Buffalo or Syracuse. Ya think there is still a lot of money in Rochester?   
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »

Quote from: bad Chad on Today at 11:51:12 AM
As a side note.  Electric cars are now out selling manual transmission cars by almost two to one in the US.

>https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/electric-cars-outsell-manual-transmissions/

Actually it's quite easy to sell more EVs as fewer vehicles with manual transmissions are offered.

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
The last I knew Ram is the only diesel heavy pickup manufacturer to offer a manual transmission. However they reduce power because the trans can't handle the full amount of torque the the engine can produce.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
That’s part of my point twochecks.  Electric car sales are rising rapidly whilst sticks are declining rapidly.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2019, 10:09:47 PM »
Hyundai Santa Cruz

-AJ

I just wish they made a pickup truck👍
I got curious about these cars and took a look see on the web. It appears a person who wants a top rated sports car that has been ordained rated right along with the best, can buy one a couple years old and low mileage for 15k and that’s with 8 years warranty left. Like I said at first, sure wished they made a truck:)
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
I suppose it all depends on someone's point of view.

I just read an article about ten or twenty muscle cars nobody wants to be seen in. Amongst many that I would never even consider to be a muscle car in the first place, was most notably a Pinto. Yeah, a Pinto. From the factory, it was considered an economy car grocery getter. Not really a performance vehicle by any means. Could be, but not from the factory.

Well, you know what they say about opinions...

ZZ

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »

an article about ten or twenty muscle cars nobody wants to be seen in. 

gotta love Facebook!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
gotta love Facebook!

Not on faceplant, or twizzler, or something else. But I get what you're eluding to. :violent1:
ZZ

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
I bought a brand new Vega in 72. It was an absolute blast to drive. No rattles or clunkiness, sharp as a tack in tight cornering, very well balanced. I can see why it was highly regarded. The cost cutting BS problems from GM (thinned out the cylinder coating to save money, no rustproofing) showed up far beyond what any test magazine finds. If GM had sleeved those things and did any kind of rust proofing, they would still be highly thought of. BTW, a GM tech told me he never saw a warped block on a Vega with the proper amount of antifreeze in it. Even today that is a critical issue. It was not close to challenging a real supercar, tho, and I would never have made that claim.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:18:31 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2019, 05:45:34 AM »
My son has a 2016 Ford Fucus ST that I get to drive all winter while he is in college in snow country (I trade him my old 4x4 suburban).

The  Focus ST is the car the Hundai is a copy of.  Same 275 turbo ponies, same hot hatch, and same price. A real hoot to drive.  In fact nicest car I have ever driven.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »
I bought a brand new Vega in 72. It was an absolute blast to drive. No rattles or clunkiness, sharp as a tack in tight cornering, very well balanced. I can see why it was highly regarded. The cost cutting BS problems from GM (thinned out the cylinder coating to save money, no rustproofing) showed up far beyond what any test magazine finds. If GM had sleeved those things and did any kind of rust proofing, they would still be highly thought of. BTW, a GM tech told me he never saw a warped block on a Vega with the proper amount of antifreeze in it. Even today that is a critical issue. It was not close to challenging a real supercar, tho, and I would never have made that claim.

Yes, the Vega was the considered the best handling US made sedan....GM devoloped the car and then handed it over to Chevy to finish...Chevy engineers were applaed at the engine design and wanted to put in a different engine..Chevy wanted to install inner fender liners...GM said no...The car was dipped in a rust proofing solution but the body has many small voids that prevented full coverage...
 This story is the Vega doing the impossible...

https://chevyvega.fandom.com/wiki/Car_and_Driver%27s_SS/Sedan_Challenge_1973_Vega_GT

elvisboy77

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2019, 06:30:41 AM »
Just got it in the mail... Road & Track in their Dec. 2019 compared all the greatest cars in the world on the track and on the road, from McClaren Porsche, Corvette, Lambo, and others. All the testers voted the $30,000 Hyundai Veloster N "The 2020 Performance Car of The year"! A SHOCKER!  $30,000 buys you the best performing car!?!

Anyone else read this?

Nope, I quit reading that magazine about 25 years ago, some lame article similar to what you describe.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here