Author Topic: Heading to Boston suggestions  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
Heading to Boston suggestions
« on: March 23, 2019, 02:14:28 PM »
My wife and I are going to Boston the first week of May and also to around Cape Cod.  Looking for any input on must things to do or see while we have only a short several days to be there....

Thanks for any help,

Mark
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:17:09 PM by Markcarovilli »

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Heading to Boston suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
Your timing is good Mark. The real starting date for holidays on the Cape is Memorial day. Once June is here those on vacation impact Cape Cod and much of downtown Boston. . . although a few thousand students of higher learning will be gone from the metro area. I assume you will be traveling by car? Camping , motels, B&B's? The ocean water will be cold. The sea food will be very good. Staffing may not be totally ready. Betwixt RI, CT and MA we have a fair sized contingent of Guzzi riders. You may hear from one or two who live on Cape Cod. PM me if I may do any research for you.  R3~

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »
Lots of good stuff to do..  As far as Cape area..  If you like nature this place is real cool...  https://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/  also has one of the best car museums in the north east.

If your a history buff Plymouth is a cool town. Nice water front, and Plymouth plantation is a lot of fun..  https://www.plimoth.org/

As for Boston... cant miss the aquarium
Paul B

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
Try to avoid driving in Boston, and definitively plan to avoid morning rush hour.  It's best to use the T (subway) or walk.  For eats try the Union Oyster House or any of the Revolutionary War era bars in that area; Green Dragon, Bell In Hand, etc.  The Parker House hotel is full of history too, although it's no longer the amazing place it used to be.  Boston cream pie was invented there 100 yrs ago and a number of famous people were waiters there in their youth (Ho Chi Min, Malcom X, and more).

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
Used to love that Cape Cod area when seen on TV, I’ve never been to the ‘States, (although I’d like to see Cedar Vale on the Norge..)
Is that Cape Cod area where the old Ghost and Mrs Muir series was shot? I always associated it with windswept coastlines and quaint fishing villages, sort of like a US version of Scotland..
Am I in error ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:44:45 PM by Huzo »

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
Used to love that Cape Cod area when seen on TV, I’ve never been to the ‘States, (although I’d like to see Cedar Vale on the Norge..)
Is that Cape Cod area where the old Ghost and Mrs Muir series was shot? I always associated it with windswept coastlines and quaint fishing villages, sort of like a US version of Scotland..
Am I in error ?

I believe that was based from Nantucket what is a small island south of cape cod..  But ya a lot of cape cod is like that..Some is dunes, and beach, and ya some is main street USA.  Its really a beautiful area.. Summer traffic is a killer, but if you avoid that its stunning! We have had a place out there since the early 90's, and spent many a day hanging out enjoying.
Paul B

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »
Spend the entire time eating at Faniaul Hall.

Or, at LEAST a few hours.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »
Isn't Old Ironsides docked in Boston. Also the bar where the TV show Cheers was either filmed in or modeled after. Boston is dripping with history.

John Henry

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »
Try to avoid driving in Boston, 

Beat me to it.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:59:21 AM »
Beautiful place, a little advise. You can't rush through it. Take a couple days to let your pace slow down a bit, then start your adventure there, if you have the time.
Be sure to spend the a full day in Plymouth, especially if you love US history as I do. Have fun👍👍

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
Beautiful place, a little advise. You can't rush through it. Take a couple days to let your pace slow down a bit, then start your adventure there, if you have the time.
Be sure to spend the a full day in Plymouth, especially if you love US history as I do. Have fun👍👍

Ya its a great town. My Dad and his wife worked for the Mayflower society for 3-4 years and lived there..  Just a cool little town in, or off season.
Paul B

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
I was visiting the Harvard Yard with my dad and brother back in the nineties. It was a beautiful Spring day and musicians were performing and folks were basking in the sun. My father gave each of us two 25 cent pieces and told us to get an ice cream. "But dad...I don't eat ice cream," I replied. "You don't have to eat it," he said. "I just want your brother and you to be able to say you spent two quarters at Harvard."
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline bassa99

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Hope you have this on your list as a Guzzitisti (sp) the north end for lunch or dinner. To many restaurants to list but a must is Modern Pastry for a fresh made cannoli. Mikes is not bad Modern rules. Both on Hanover St. :food:
1999 Bassa
2001 Confederate Hellcat
1974 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando restoration project

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »
The JFK (Kennedy) museum just south of town is well worth a visit... for both contents and the view.

Budget a fair amount of time for Cape Cod if you drive all the way to Provincetown, ...lots of cool lighthouses to see along the way...a leisurely pace makes the day enjoyable rather than rushed.

Lots of decent Polish bakeries in Dorchester if you are looking for something tasty.

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
The JFK (Kennedy) museum just south of town is well worth a visit... for both contents and the view.

Budget a fair amount of time for Cape Cod if you drive all the way to Provincetown, ...lots of cool lighthouses to see along the way...a leisurely pace makes the day enjoyable rather than rushed.

Lots of decent Polish bakeries in Dorchester if you are looking for something tasty.

Highland light in Turo is worth the ride out.  breathtaking!!  Not sure what the times are for going in a touring it...  but its worth the climb if its open!
Paul B

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
thanks for all the tips guys - I'll start making a plan and try to follow it........

Mark

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
Fenway Park   :boozing:

take the train
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:16:35 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »
Caution: Driving in the Boston metro area is not for the timid. It's a  take no prisoners attitude you may best avoid. Look at a street map, imagine the real life scale of what began as goat, horse and wagon, et. al. Lots of one way streets, alleys and limited parking.  Public trans. during off hours will be useful. Using Uber, Lyfft or a cab should save some frustration.
All the museums are terrific. Isabel Stewart Gardner is a favorite. Larz Anderson Automobile Muse`is great, but a bit out of town and currently changing exhibits. Check their website. (sorry. I can't pull up their website). A 'Duck Boat' ride about the city is fun. If your into baseball (I'm not). The 7th inning stretch event is huge, @ Fenway Park.
As mentioned earlier: The Heritage Museum setting is beautiful. The displays (cars, trucks, motorcycles), change from time to time.
Tesla? Out near the elbow of Cape Cod is a small museum commemorating the 1st cable transmission station betwixt the US and Europe. The South shore of the Cape is quite commercial and essentially 'state of the art'. The interior and the Bay side is fairly quiet, easy going, dappled sunshine on comparatively quiet 2 lane roads. Many old villages, antique shops, State Parks, lots of food stops.
   Good fortune,  R3~   

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
150 miles up the freeway (unfortunately with MA tolls) gets you some great places to see in New Hampshire.  Head down to the intersection of 115 and 2 a little after dark and there will be moose or 2 :)  They love the roadside salt that time of year.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
Museum of Science, Harvard Square, Quincy Market, North End. Cape is nice, but Horseneck Beach was on the mainland side of the bridge and easier to get to. Same feel for me. Newport RI & Jamestown, Cape Ann/Rockport
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
Isn't Old Ironsides docked in Boston. Also the bar where the TV show Cheers was either filmed in or modeled after. Boston is dripping with history.

John Henry

Bull & Finch Pub is now renamed as Cheers Beacon Hill. Tourist trap IMHO.

Also good eats is No Name seafood restaurant on fisherman's wharf. Literally used to be a family fish restaurant with no name but it's gone a bit more commercial.

If you have time walk the Freedom Trail. Lots to see and eat as you are guided along historic Boston sites.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

twowings

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
Try the baked beans... :evil:

Offline MarkPell

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »

Also good eats is No Name seafood restaurant on fisherman's wharf. Literally used to be a family fish restaurant with no name but it's gone a bit more commercial.

If you have time walk the Freedom Trail. Lots to see and eat as you are guided along historic Boston sites.

Couldn't agree more regarding Cheers. Don't waste you time. But the public garden in the same neighborhood is lovely. The North End is an absolute must. There are so many awesome restaurants and an easy walk to/from Fanueil Hall. IMO, Chathan is the quintisential Cape Cod town. Provincetown is , how shall I say, a free spirited community!!
Mark

2000 Kawasaki W650
1983 Lemans III
2019 Road Glide
2006 FJR1300
2007 Rokon Scout
1971 Bultaco Alpina
1971 Rupp Roadster
2006 Aprilia Mojito 150
2010 Vespa 150

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »

Yes! I forgot about Nick's No-Name...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline MarkPell

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »
Yes! I forgot about Nick's No-Name...
Sorry but IMHO Legal Seafood blows the No Name away, :drool:
Mark

2000 Kawasaki W650
1983 Lemans III
2019 Road Glide
2006 FJR1300
2007 Rokon Scout
1971 Bultaco Alpina
1971 Rupp Roadster
2006 Aprilia Mojito 150
2010 Vespa 150

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
The Museum of glass flowers at Harvard in neat, and the Heritage Museum on the Cape is a delight.  Nearby that is the Sandwich Glass Museum - small (as compared to the Corning Museum in upstate NY) but delightful.  Ifn you are a fan of the Great White whale, almost on the way to the cape is Fall River, home of Lizzie (the original hacker?) and I think the Whaler's Church.  Traffic is awful so take a patience break as needed - rte 3 from Boston town to the Cape can really clog up. If the Irish Riviera (South Shore) and Ahab land are not of interest and you want some quieter space, perhaps the ferry is running fm Boston to Provincetown and from there head back to the Sandwich area on rte 6.  Enjoy, and yes to the Aquarium if  you are in Boston proper.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here