General Category > General Discussion

Spark Plug Thread Lubricant

(1/7) > >>

cappisj1:
Should I be using anti-seize, dielectric grease or normal grease on my spark plug threads. I don’t want them to get stuck in there with all that heat.

Thanks,

chuck peterson:
“A few tiny dabs of antisneeze..and best not to run plugs in and out in a hot cylinder..”

Said my machinist after fixing the stripped spark plug hole

SLDMRossi:
Actually...none. Lubricant can give a false sense of actual tightening torque and lead to stripping.

SR

n3303j:
Don't use anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads for your 0-200 Continental engine said my A&P friend.

Use the proper product designed for the application.

SLDMRossi:
P.S. -- per NGK factory:

NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

SR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version