Author Topic: V7 iii Broken mounting bosses on speedometer/tachometer.  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Mr.Bill

• New Egg
V7 iii Broken mounting bosses on speedometer/tachometer.
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »
Has anyone removed the instrument cluster on their V7 iii?  While adding an OEM tachometer on my Carbon Dark I noticed that two of the mounting bosses were broken on the speedometer when bike was manufactured.  The screws appeared to have some sort of grease on them, same for the grommets and plastic housing.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 iii Broken mounting bosses on speedometer/tachometer.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:38:25 AM »
I've had mine off, all was ok.  Mine is a v7 iii Racer, so came with the speedo/tach combo.  I changed from the clip on bars to a normal style mount, so have to pull it off then. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
I've had mine off a couple times, 2017 V7 III Special. Made some spacers to raise them up a bit with longer bolts, then added some rubber to keep needles from shaking. No problems.

Offline AaronH

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:58:37 AM »
The tach on my 2018 V7 III Special broke completely loose today on the way to work and was bouncing freely in the gauge housing, so I've secured it with rubber bands.  It has about 550 miles and I've had it two weeks.  All screw bosses (I think there are three) broke off the back of the housing, and there is oil next to the broken bosses.  Makes me wonder what the speedometer bosses are like, but I'll ask the dealer to look when I take it in tomorrow since it is under warranty.

Edit:  My motorcycle was assembled in April 2018, and the tach was made in February 2018 according to a sticker on the back of the tach housing. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:03:36 AM by AaronH »
1998 V11EV
2008 KTM Superduke R
2018 V7III Special
1997 Triumph Adventurer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:58:37 AM »

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »
Bummer.  Glad it wasn't too much of a distraction while riding. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »
Has anyone removed the instrument cluster on their V7 iii?  While adding an OEM tachometer on my Carbon Dark I noticed that two of the mounting bosses were broken on the speedometer when bike was manufactured.  The screws appeared to have some sort of grease on them, same for the grommets and plastic housing.

The tach on my 2018 V7 III Special broke completely loose today on the way to work and was bouncing freely in the gauge housing, so I've secured it with rubber bands.  It has about 550 miles and I've had it two weeks.  All screw bosses (I think there are three) broke off the back of the housing, and there is oil next to the broken bosses.  Makes me wonder what the speedometer bosses are like, but I'll ask the dealer to look when I take it in tomorrow since it is under warranty.

Edit:  My motorcycle was assembled in April 2018, and the tach was made in February 2018 according to a sticker on the back of the tach housing.

Some-things not right there, take it back for repair
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:07:58 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here