Author Topic: You can't make this stuff up  (Read 3041 times)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
You can't make this stuff up
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:10 PM »
The speedo quit on my Cal II quite some time ago. So I stuck a brand new inner cable in it and no help. I figured the speedo was just no good. When I had the bike tore apart some for my Denso alternator conversion, I tested the speedo with a piece of cable and my cordless drill. It spun nicely and smoothly to 50 mph, the limit of the drill's speed. So I guessed the only thing left was the gear at the trans. I lived without the speedo for quite a while, going by the tach for reference. A couple of weeks ago I got into that and found it all seemed OK, then discovered that the cable I stuck in there was 1-1/2 inches too short and did not engage the transmission end. So I bought a complete new cable and this morning put it on. Nope. I verified that the trans end was working with the bike on the centerstand, and watched the speedo end of the cable spinning just fine. So again I got the cordless and a cable piece to check the speedo and nothing. Didn't even wiggle. 50 mph before, WTF? Then it gets weird. Putting the drill in reverse it works.....backwards . The speedo takes right off and goes backwards smoothly until the needle hits the stop on the other side. It won't read going forward at all. It is original to the bike and has never been opened up. I don't get it at all.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: You can't make this stuff up
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
My Cal2 speedo is kinda funny too. It sometimes needs a little tap to bring it to working. Not that I worry about it at 125Kmi. Been through a lot of winters in N IL, broke a lot of cables from ice in the cable housing. The odo works fine. Just getting old.  Some day it will be like yours, nfg.        I would send it out to get fixed if it was mine. I'm not a speedo guy, too fussy for my taste. 
There are those that do take em apart here, not me.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »
North Hollywood speedo
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »
Italian engineering -  nothing wrong!    :grin:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
Note. Italian Electrical Systems: Additional shielding is beneficial.

:grin:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:31:18 PM by Penderic »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »
North Hollywood speedo

Unfortunately, they no longer repair motorcycle speedometers.
Charlie

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
I've been fixing bmw airhead speedometers for almost ten years now for the airhead guys - and they're the same. The cable spins counter-clockwise. Nothing weird about that! Hopefully spinning it clockwise didn't alter the hair spring and affect calibration.

These Veglia speedos are very simple - more so than the German Motometers. But the input section isn't serviceable, the only thing I don't like about them.

When did N Hollywood stop working on MC speedos???

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »
When did N Hollywood stop working on MC speedos???

It's been at least two years since I tried to send them one and was told they didn't do them anymore. Sent it to Joel Levine instead.
Charlie

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
Look at the cable input on the speedo and make sure its a square hole all the way to the bottom edge. The original cable may have not fit all the way in and the square hole may be worn allowing the cable to slip in one direction. Your drill drive may in further when it was working.

Pete

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
The speedo quit on my Cal II quite some time ago....... I lived without the speedo for quite a while, going by the tach for reference.

My Cal II is just the opposite. Tach quit years ago, speedo is still fine, replaced cable inner several times. Tach has little internal pieces rattling around on the face. I tolerate it because it's an Auto!!!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
The problem is that no matter which way you spin it, it only runs the needle backwards.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »
I personally would replace it with a speedo from Speedhut. I replaced the electronic tach on my 84 Cal II automatic with a speedhut tach , a couple of years ago,and am impressed with the quality, and function,for about $150.  They are a great company to work with, make modern, stepper motor instruments, and will even custom print the face with  "GUZZI" or an eagle. They make a speedometer  that can be made to fit a Cal II, that others here have installed, with great success. My OG Veglia still works but if it goes south, thats what I plan to do.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here