Author Topic: Condor or Baxley?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Condor or Baxley?
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »
Trying to decide between these two brands of wheel chocks for use inside an enclosed trailer. Leaning towards the Condor trailer only model as I won’t use it anywhere else- and four thumbscrews to remove/install. It’s also cheaper...
Thanks to anyone with experience with either brand.
I want to be able to bug out of the Adirondacks in the winter taking my bike and also take my bike with me for mission trips doing electrical work in different parts of the country...
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
Re: Condor or Baxley?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »
My only chock experience is with the Baxley Sport Chock and it has been 100% great, well-made, easy to use. I screw it down on my Harbor Freight lift and move it to my Aluma trailer, free-standing (with tiedowns of course), for bike transport.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:43:55 AM by gsf12man »
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

elvisboy77

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
I have a Baxley LA, it is fantastic.  Very heavy duty.

I don't think I would use first cost as a deciding factor when you are holding up your motorcycle with the thing.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
Bought our 1st Condor chock several years ago.  Then bought another one for the other trailer.

Heavy, functional, and very well made

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
I had two Condor's fixed in my HiPoint HP 14 trailer.  Worked great, very adjustable.  Convenient to be  able to break it down pulling a few pins and only leave the base bolted to the floor to open up the space. Also have a Baxley I use in the shop.  Also good for that application. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »
You want cheap go to Harbor Freight. Nothing wrong at all with the function for about $40. You'll have to get your own thumb screws.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
I bought 2 Baxleys years ago. One was attached to the HF lift and the other reserved for floor/truck bed duty. They have been rock solid and I would not hesitate to buy again. I'm sure the Condor is just as good so it more than likely boils down to cost.

Earlier this year I bought a different lift with a good wheel vise so I no longer need the extra Baxley. If you are in or around south central PA I'll sell one of my Baxley's for $125.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:14:05 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline danomar

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
One thing the Baxlet sport chock does which few, if any other chock does is it squeezes the front wheel as the wheel rolls in. It locks the wheel better than any other chock I have used. I still have vivid memories of hauling a LM IV in my pickup truck with only tie-down straps and the Baxley. There were a few occasions when I went too hot into a off/on-ramp but the Baxley held the bike perfectly the entire trip.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »
I have one Condor and one Baxley, which I move between trailers and lifts as necessary.

Both equally high quality and functionality, both made in USA.   I wouldn't buy another cheap Chinese one if it were $.99.   Not worth the risk on a trailer or high up on a stand.

These "self-holding" chocks are the greatest thing since sliced bread for one guy handling a motorcycle!  No more rolling it onto the ramp and then juggling the bike and a tie down, hoping you've got it balanced while you run to the other side.   Roll it in ... and let it go!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
You want cheap go to Harbor Freight. Nothing wrong at all with the function for about $40. You'll have to get your own thumb screws.

No complaints with my Harbor Freight chocks.  When set up properly I am able to get off the bike and walk around to strap it down.  I do wish that the rotating brace was the part that relocates instead of the stop.  I use pit boss fasteners for easy release when I am camping in the trailer.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 06:18:28 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I am in no hurry as the trailer I ordered will be at least 4 months before it arrives due to - productivity issues.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:55 PM »
If you or anyone wants to try the HF one. Add some thick fender or standard type washers on the rod between the frame and the pivoting catch part. You could also ad some to the stop. Tightens it up quite a bit. No wiggles.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
As long as you're going to bolt it down, the Condor is fine.  I've tried about all the "teter-toter" style front chocks, and the Baxley is the only one heavy enough not to slide when you are trying to pull the bike out of the chalk.  All the rest require they be bolted, weighted, or otherwise held in place or they just slide backwards with the bike...a real PITA if you're by yourself.  Warm tires after a ride only make it worse.  One very good alternative that hasn't been mentioned is the "wheel-dock."  Mostly for Harleys and bikes with larger front tires.  I have one and find it very easy to use.  https://wheeldock.com/pages/harley-wheel-chock

With any of them, your aim has to be spot-on or the bike will be crossed-up a bit. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
As long as you're going to bolt it down, the Condor is fine.  I've tried about all the "teter-toter" style front chocks, and the Baxley is the only one heavy enough not to slide when you are trying to pull the bike out of the chalk.  All the rest require they be bolted, weighted, or otherwise held in place or they just slide backwards with the bike...a real PITA if you're by yourself.  Warm tires after a ride only make it worse.  One very good alternative that hasn't been mentioned is the "wheel-dock."  Mostly for Harleys and bikes with larger front tires.  I have one and find it very easy to use.  https://wheeldock.com/pages/harley-wheel-chock

With any of them, your aim has to be spot-on or the bike will be crossed-up a bit.
the sliding backwards pita can be solved easily with a board mounted to the choke so your rear tire rests/weighs down the chock. It can't slide on the floor at all then.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »
I really like the looks of that Wheeldock chock since I'm 5'3" with a 28" inseam. It's gotta be a lot easier backing out without going up and over the teeter totter. Thanks for mentioning that one Motormike! :thumb:

I may need to remove the chock so I can stow my Bushtec in front of the motorcycle, then reinstall and load the bike... and vice versa.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
I really like the looks of that Wheeldock chock since I'm 5'3" with a 28" inseam. It's gotta be a lot easier backing out without going up and over the teeter totter. Thanks for mentioning that one Motormike! :thumb:

I may need to remove the chock so I can stow my Bushtec in front of the motorcycle, then reinstall and load the bike... and vice versa.

I always stand beside the bike back the bike out of the chock then set it on the side stand before getting on as normal.  Give me much more control in stead of back walking the bike whilst straddling it. Most of the time I also just push the bike in the chock. If you ride in it has a tendency to slide forward.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »
I always stand beside the bike back the bike out of the chock then set it on the side stand before getting on as normal.  Give me much more control in stead of back walking the bike whilst straddling it. Most of the time I also just push the bike in the chock. If you ride in it has a tendency to slide forward.

My legs are so much stronger than my arms that I can duck walk it in and use my legs to back it out while sitting on the seat and then I have stability on both sides of the bike.  I usually slowly ride it in but if I am about to check the valves I walk it in so I don't have to wait for it to cool down again. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »

The Wheeldock is not too heavy to pick up and move around. (The Baxley is the heaviest to carry) The long release lever flops around loose when not in the latched position, so you have to watch that, but not much of a problem.  They make several sizes for different bikes.  My "Harley" version is a bit too wide and long for a 17 inch wheel. Wheeldock offers gap spacers, don't know how well that would work.  I'd buy another one without hesitation.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
I will only need to undo it from the floor of the trailer to slide it to the side so my Bushtec trailer can get by. It will be a rare occasion to remove it from the trailer.

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »

I’ve never used a Baxley. But I love my two Condor stands. Both mounted to my trailer and are never completely removed.

Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »
When I "built" the stand to use in the Transit van, I used a Condor for the guts. The goal was to *not* have the bike eat us for breakfast if we were in a wreck, and possibly upside down. It holds the front wheel firmly, and is really sturdy.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:57 AM »
Baxley "Trailer" chock.  The "flat" front end allows close placement to trailer walls or truck bed.  Ultimately versatile.  One of the best accessory investments I've ever made.  But, although it IS an investment, cost-wise, it's well worth it for years of utility.  With it, I can fit Lola ('13 Stelvio) in the back of my Silverado long bed even with a liner in it.

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
2 Baxleys' in my garage, one black for the Scura, one red for the Griso...solid pieces, very well constructed.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
 :embarrassed:
I read the heading and thought ,ooh, Seely Condor, but I have never heard of a Baxley....

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=seeley+condor&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ea-UGgF5FvL7PM%252CLAL1kEwvNFKg7M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTt61LrKisb1hGbSVw-IFw5s7w2BA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdl7_y78HtAhU3yjgGHUxaBOQQ9QF6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=910#imgrc=coZkaHr7uJjVjM

I did have the 350 version of the motor all mounted in a G12 frame but couldn't locate a gearbox....sigh, one of my regrets.

Now, back to the original topic.  I made my own out of free scrap steel I had lying about. (Guzzi content).  Not as pretty as those shown.  It works.  Wot more can I say. :wink:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
I made my own out of free scrap steel I had lying about. (Guzzi content).  Not as pretty as those shown.  It works.  Wot more can I say. :wink:

That, of course, is the best one.  :smiley: :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »
That, of course, is the best one.  :smiley: :thumb:

Works for me Chuck.  Scottish heritage, married to a Dutch lady and I own a Guzzi.

Didn't stand a chance really.  <shrug> :laugh:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Works for me Chuck.  Scottish heritage, married to a Dutch lady and I own a Guzzi.

Didn't stand a chance really.  <shrug> :laugh:

Ancestry says I'm 20% Scotch myself. Who would have thought?  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
2 Baxleys' in my garage, one black for the Scura, one red for the Griso...solid pieces, very well constructed.

Yep well worth the money  :cool:   
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
I transported my Norge from the Adirondacks to western Illinois and back one winter so my brother in law could help me fabricate my trailer hitch in a U-Haul with my 2x4 wood and screws wheel chock. Cheapest!

Offline Green1

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
Have a Baxley and love it works fine and doesn't need to be bolted down,have seen a Condor still locked to the wheel with the bike on its side.
Never argue with an idiot, people watching can't tell the difference

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here