Author Topic: 2001 California EV, good Sidecar machine?  (Read 834 times)

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
2001 California EV, good Sidecar machine?
« on: August 14, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
I bought a 2001 California EV a few weeks ago, and I am contemplating a Sidecar for it. The bike has the dual clutch, and has just over 20k miles. In the few hundred miles I’ve ridden, I think it would pull a Sidecar well.

I’d like to hear from any folks that have used the California platform for a Sidecar set up.
What type of mods are recommended?
Any specific brands or models to consider?
The use would be for very limited touring, mainly as a occasional run to the beach, and around town.

Thanks in advance.

John

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:39:03 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: 2001 California EV, good Sidecar machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
I have built 2 different Guzzi sidecar rigs using Californias as the tug.. The first one on an 03 aluminum, very similar to your ev. The second on an 85 California II automatic. In both cases, they make excellent tugs. Your ev has plenty of power,and strong brakes.  Lee Bruns, a member here makes some nice mounts for Tonti framed Guzzis such as yours. Yu want to get a sidecar that weighs around 200 lbs, its a heavy bike, and it needs a substantial sidecar. I had a California sidecars Friendship II, and a Texas Ranger sidecar on my bikes.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »
I just got my '03 EV back from Lee. He made the mounts and set up the modified Motorvation carriage. I have a Inder (made in India) tub that I bought because it was cheap (Guzzi content) and it matched my bike (white with red oval logo). It is too light a set up, but I'll make a change down the road. As bigbikerick points out, from a power and braking standpoint the bike doesn't notice it is there. I couldn't afford to do any mods to the front end so can't speak to that. The yaw is noticeable, but is not problematic. I highly recommend the EV as a tug. It'll make Lee happy, too. He loves them.

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:10:18 PM »
Well this sounds promising. The mounts were one of my concerns, good to hear the Lee Bruns makes specific Tonti  mounts.

The bike has a factory steering damper, but I don’t think it’s stout enough for SC duty. I hadn’t planned to alter the front end, as I am OK with a stiff turning set up.

Thanks for the tips regarding a “heavy” Sidecar, certainly makes sense.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:10:18 PM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »
I have a Jackal w a Texas (standard) tub. The rig is stable and can cruise at 75-80. The chair is a little light for the bike, but I've added quite a bit of ballast, including a car battery. The only thing I'd recommend is a Steerite modified triple tree or leading links. Unfortunately both are fairly expense and may be difficult to find.

The key to whether a rig works well is setting it up properly.

Rich A

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
A VW Bug steering damper will work.  Cheaper too. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Mark Dasher

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 05:17:03 PM »
Californias make superb tugs.  Strong frames and excellent brakes.

I recommend you check out my friend Bob Wark at The Wark Shop in Marietta, OH (740)538-4746.
He's a Velorex and Watsonian dealer and has lots of experience mounting up on Guzzis.  Tell him I sent you.  He's a great guy too!

--Mark
'75 850T
'78 Robin
'06 Breva 1100

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 10:05:58 PM »
I'm puting a brand new Velorex on a '98 EV right now. Fantastic tug. Honestly, don't sweat the steering damper or upgrade the forks till you drive it. YOu might be perfectly happy with the stock set up and the additional cash still in your pocket. I run a leading link on my Suzuki tug, but really, drive it FIRST, then decide if you need steer-lite trees or a leading link. YOu can also go to a smaller front tire profile to quicken the steering.  Drop me a note if you need the mounts, I'll step you through

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »
 :thumb: on your mounts.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
Ive wanted a sidecar rig for about as long as I wanted a Guzzi, so nice to hear they make a nice rig. Im planning on finding one for my 02 Stone metal some day. Good info on the chair weight, and mounts.
Paul B

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
Thanks Lee, as things progress, I will reach out.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 09:05:03 AM »
Honestly, don't sweat the steering damper* or upgrade the forks till you drive it. YOu might be perfectly happy with the stock set up and the additional cash still in your pocket.

That's good advice. It's quite possible that driving a rig will not even be something you want to do--they're definitely not for everyone. That said, two other things that I like on my outfit are (1) Bassa (wide) handlebars as they give extra leverage for turns and (2) a 7/33 rear drive that helps on getting off the line.

*I think a steering damper was standard on the EVs.

Rich A

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
Rich,

So the owners manual states that mine is Ratio 8/33.

Does that sound correct for OEM? I assume that, that is too tall for optimal Sidecar use.

... and (2) a 7/33 rear drive that helps on getting off the line.

*I think a steering damper was standard on the EVs.

Rich A
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
Rich,

So the owners manual states that mine is Ratio 8/33.

Does that sound correct for OEM? I assume that, that is too tall for optimal Sidecar use.

Yes, that's the stock ratio.

The rig will be okay with that, IMO more responsive w a 7/33. But again, I wouldn't change the gears or rear drive right away.

Rich

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »
Wider handlebars would be a good quick "fix".  If you have an atv, that would be a good training vehicle.  Go to an open field and do donuts/figure 8's at speed.   :boozing:

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
You guys are great, thanks for all the feedback.

My handle is SDCR, short for Sidecar. Many years ago, when my daughter was a toddler, I had anHonda GL1100 with a Terraplane Sidecar, one of Craig Vetters inventions. It was a terrific rig, with a turnbuckle, three point mounting system, specific to that bike. Aside from having to strong arm it around turns, it toured very well. Put about 125,000, relatively trouble free miles on it.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »
Okay, never mind.  :laugh:  A Moto Guzzi hack will be easier for you.   :thumb:

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2021, 04:01:25 PM »
Tom,

Please don’t misunderstand. I value yours, and everyone with the generous tips and ideas. I’m never too old to learn.

Okay, never mind.  :laugh:  A Moto Guzzi hack will be easier for you.   :thumb:
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »
While proper sidecar gearing is nice, it is also expensive. If you don't use 5th (4th is already an overdrive) then it should pull just fine. Not as hot off the line, but other than that, fine. Wider bars, cool. If all goes well, then decide if the leading link or lower gearing is needed. I'm poor, I don't recommend people spend money unless they, personally, have the need.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here