Author Topic: Norge freeway turbulence  (Read 800 times)

Offline staveslover

• New Egg
Norge freeway turbulence
« on: March 14, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »
Have had my '13 Norge for 9 weeks now. Love the bike.  Only thing I've done to it is put air in the tires (Angel GT) once a month, 38/42R and adjusted pre-load to manual (medium load rear, front an extra turn in which reduced brake dive).

I just notice on the freeway there is a lot of turbulence and crosswinds. I feel like I'm riding through a tornado sometimes, lol. Doesn't matter if screen is all the way up or down. My bike came with the Guzzi top box and I've never taken it off. I also have side luggage always on.  I've gotten back into riding after a 10yr break but I can't remember any of my previous bikes feeling this dramatic on the freeway (Cbr1100XX, Goldwing, SV1000).  On back roads it's great and I guess that the bike is stable on the freeway too but it just doesn't cut thru the wind that well at all is my feeling.

Just wonder if anyone els has had this experience?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:31:27 AM by staveslover »
13 Norge

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Norge freeway turbulence
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 09:35:13 AM »
A flip on the top and a vent at the front will help.

Here is a good aftermarket solution:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Norgeprod.html

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 09:53:39 AM »
  My 07 Norge<is materially less wind resistant and wobbly without the box on back...

br />

2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline KiowaEagle

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:58:28 AM »
I haven't experienced that but I also do not have a top box. Just looking at the pics here those boxes look like they'd catch the wind.
2021 V85tt
2020 1400GTR
2014 CB1100DLX
2015 Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 09:58:28 AM »

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 10:41:05 AM »
to the OP, hope you get it sorted out, buffeting is no fun. Helmet design can also play a big factor in these things.

to the universe, can motorcycle manufacturers please stop building touring bikes that don't have decent wind protection for both rider and passenger!!!!!

My humble opinion is that no windscreen at all, a very slightly sporty reach to the bars and a huge top box is the ultimate set up for high speed motorcycle cruising

YMMV

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 11:43:30 AM »
I have experimented with windshields, fly screens and all kinds of things in recent years without any real results. My new V100 is decent, no buffeting but still quite a bit of wind pressure at the helmet level. I put a little taller shield on it which makes it better. It seems to work better at mid-point, the gap underneath, larger at this point probably helps. The best bike I ever had was an R75/5 with an Avon fairing. It was completely calm on this bike. This was not my bike but mine was the same, silver bike and silver fairing.
kk

Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 12:29:36 PM »
I rode my Norge a lot on Interstates and freeways.  That's what I had it for.  Long trips to great riding places.  If it was 500 miles away-I took the Norge.
Always had all the boxes on.  CalSci, as mentioned above, was the solution.  A extra wing added to the top made it that much better.  At five foot ten inches the medium size was the ticket.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 12:37:43 PM »
I have always found my bikes with top boxes to be less stable on the highway, some more than others.  If you can try removing the box, you might find it improved if you can get away with just loading the side cases.
Blue Guzz

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 01:30:29 PM »
If you want to keep your stock screen put an air deflector on it. It solved my buffeting issue. I also use an open face helmet. No wind buffeting and it stopped the bugs from hitting my eyes. Cross winds are still a bit brutal if they are blowing just right. I also think there could be a small difference without the trunk. If you want a bigger screen the CalSci users all love them from what I have read. I like the look of the stock screen and the added lip worked for me.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 01:51:57 PM »
I have a 2011. Have the med. Cal/Sci screen. Have not really noticed any difference than the stock screen concerning turbulence. A Norge does not like crosswinds. Although I have never really felt out of control it sure isn't settled. Same behind a semi. I use a Schuberth helmet. In crosswinds the wind is constantly dope slapping my helmet from the opposite of the wind direction which gets very annoying very quickly. Riding straight into a strong wind is no issue. Do not have any suggestions. If I think I am going to have to deal with strong crosswinds I take the T-3 which is way better.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 02:13:54 PM »
Either super short windscreen or super tall does the trick.  I prefer the short view, clean fresh air, no buffetting.

I'm running a Cal-Sci Tinted shorty that I cut down even more...the stock windshield on the Norge made my head hurt badly from the buffeting.  A Cal-Sci Medium was OK, but a Cal-Sci tall was super quiet, I just don't like the look of looking thru a barn door.

You will have to do some experimenting...sid e bags makes no difference on buffeting, the rear box might.

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 03:09:32 PM »
I ride my ‘07 Norge occasionally on freeways and I cannot understand the problem.
I’m only 5’9” tall and I do think my Arai is a damn good helmet, but other than that I have no clue as to why you are not happy.
Also these guys who say that short or no screens are better for “touring”, not if you’re in constant rain and 5 degree C temps for days they’re not.
Also if you have no screen on your bike, you are in undisturbed air, which does not have the percussion effect of turbulence.
Remember too, if you want to make your bike feel less like a bike…?
Get a nice beige Toyota Prius and a Ned Flanders signature series cardigan, with an apricot cravat…. :grin: :thumb:
PS..
I’m interested to hear that increasing preload reduced brake dive…Surprising.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 03:14:41 PM by Huzo »

Offline staveslover

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 03:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I prefer to have the top box on but I will maybe do an experimental ride with it off and see if that makes a difference. Maybe get a deflector lip for the stock windscreen. I’m not interested in in replacing it with anything else. I like the stock windscreen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 06:54:36 PM by staveslover »
13 Norge

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 03:54:30 PM »
Plenty of touring in the rain, cold, heat with a short screen, but some people love the stock or super talls.  Bottom line, you have to experiment for your own comfort...whatever produces the buffeting needs to be eliminated or it's exhausting.   Wearing a balaclava takes care of the cold, rain, well you're going to get drops on your screen with a tall screen or a mid screen or a short screen.  Unfortunately riding without a screen creates too much wind resistance on the chest area...smooth head air, but unsustainable for long distances. 

Apricot you say...spot of orange marmalade please with the triangular toast please!   :wink: :thumb:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 04:09:39 PM »
Magic…. :kiss:

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 04:29:34 PM »
Top case is the main culprit with side winds,I have one on my Stelvio and felt like I was being blown off the big bridge by Lake Superior and Duluth.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 07:28:43 AM »
  Unfortunately riding without a screen creates too much wind resistance on the chest area...smooth head air, but unsustainable for long distances. 

No, no, no, this is what the tank bag is for! absolutely cram it full and bingo, no more wind on your chest!!

works for me

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 07:32:12 AM »

Also these guys who say that short or no screens are better for “touring”, not if you’re in constant rain and 5 degree C temps for days they’re not.

ok, you got me there,

but grip guards, heated grips and the big tank bag go a LONG way I tell you!!

Next time you're in the UK or France I'll swap you my griso for your norge and you'll see the light!!

(Or maybe I will)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2024, 11:45:38 AM »
On my O7 Norge back roads have always been more enjoyable than interstate, but even on back roads with top box off, stiff  sidewinds we’re never enjoyable, like TK’s experience, I often felt like I was being blown off the road. Until sitting around a rally campfire I think in Wisconsin I mentioned this and a voice from somewhere in the dark mentioned a similar problem that was solved by reducing the rear shock preload. So for the ride back home I tried this ( I think four or 6 turns) on the rear shock, essentially lowering the rear end. Resulting in less buffeting by semi’s and greatly reducing the effects of the sidewinds.

But every bike I’ve owned with a Trunk is noticeably more unstable with the box on, and worse with a fully loaded trunk. I heard one theory that the air flow changes with a trunk cause changes to weight distribution resulting in more weight to the rear tire and decreasing front tire load and instability, and these effects are amplified by higher speeds which we tend cruise at on interstates vs 2 lane back roads.

The theory may be BS, especially when you consider the extensive functional rear spoilers seen on dragsters and stock cars.

When I tour multiple days and completely loaded my trunk is never full. If I’m not touring the trunk is off.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2024, 06:52:48 PM »
My guess is that the fairing is causing the problems. I ride a 1200 Sport with the small bikini fairing. I have ridden with a Hepco & Becker rear trunk at times, sometimes fully loaded and other times empty. Never have I experienced instability even with crosswinds. The 12S and the Norge are very similar except for the fairings.

During cold months, I add a Laminar Lip to the small fairing to direct the cold air from my chest and neck to hitting the helmet faceshield. But when the weather is a constant 65 degrees and above, I take it off. I don’t like the turbulence at my faceshield. So I agree with some other comments where I prefer air hitting my chest not the helmet. I prefer the (above 65 degrees) wind hitting my upper chest.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 08:33:47 AM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline staveslover

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 10:14:51 PM »
Can’t see it being the fairings. Rode a full faired CBR1100XX for many years. Felt 10x more stable at high speeds than the Norge. Of course had no luggage except a tank and tail bag.
13 Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 05:46:08 AM »
You will have to do some experimenting...sid e bags makes no difference on buffeting, the rear box might will.
FTFY
I do not like top boxes, Sam I am. Weight and aerodynamic drag high and aft is not a good thing..especially in cross winds. Besides that, being an x enduro rider and throwing the bike away countless times makes me think of that top box hitting me in the uhh, rear  :smiley: and taking me to the scene of the crash. (shrug)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here