Author Topic: Chrome & zinc platers - recommendations?  (Read 5081 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Chrome & zinc platers - recommendations?
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
With the demise of Brown's Plating almost a year ago, I lost my "go to" chrome plater. They were always fast, did a great job and were reasonably priced. Until now I haven't needed anything done, but this Winter there's a project or two that will have a fair number of bits to be rechromed.

The zinc plater I've been using is still in business, but can be hard to deal with, loses parts and on the last batch the deposit thickness caused threaded bits to not fit. So, I'm looking around for another plater there too. 

I haven't started calling or emailing the few I know of yet to get estimates. Thought I'd get some recommendations from youse guys first.  :wink: Cost for what you had done will be helpful too.
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Chrome & zinc platers - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
I'm no help.....I'm waiting for answers too.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
 Tulsa Plating  has a good reputation . The problem is finding a plater that will do small batches at a reasonable price , most only want to do large batch commercial work .

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »
Okay.....that helped......not.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
Okay.....that helped......not.

What , do you want me to call Tulsa Plating and ask them if they will chrome plate one old MC fender for you ? Geez , how about I fly to Hawaii and hand deliver the fender back to Oklahoma , free of course  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline apex1397

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
Chuck, I have used this shop before with great results. M&P Refinishing. Jeannette Pa.          http://www.mprefinishing.com/

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
Chuck, I have used this shop before with great results. M&P Refinishing. Jeannette Pa.          http://www.mprefinishing.com/

Thanks Jim. How's their pricing?
Charlie

Offline apex1397

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
Have not had anything done in almost a year. Pricing is certainly competitive but not cheap. But no plating is anymore. Seems in the last 15 years prices have escalated to the point it is almost cheaper to buy new parts if available. Seems like most plating these days is done on unobtanium parts exclusivly. The last old bike I was involved with after pricing plating work the customer powder coated almost everything.

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 05:30:38 PM »

Librandi, at Harrisburg airport.

I used them on my Viper motor parts, hinges etc. Theya are not cheap, but good quality.

http://www.carchrome.com/
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
I had a Convert shift lever--with the back put cut off--plated by Classic Chrome Plating (chromeplating.com). $33.01 total, including return shipping, and I think they did a good job. Can't remember the turn around but I think it was 3-4 weeks.

Rich A

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »
I had a Convert shift lever--with the back put cut off--plated by Classic Chrome Plating (chromeplating.com). $33.01 total, including return shipping, and I think they did a good job. Can't remember the turn around but I think it was 3-4 weeks.

They also go by the name South Bay Chrome....same address.  They did all the chrome on my Ambo back in 2002.  Prices were good and turn around was fast.  There was only one piece I sent back for a redo.     :thumb:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
I know the distance issue...  I use Oshkosh plateing for my Zink with a clear coat.  I prep the parts, drop a bucket of hardware off and it's usually done in 4-5 days.  Cost is $30.00 flat fee if it's just hardware.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
Librandi, at Harrisburg airport.

I used them on my Viper motor parts, hinges etc. Theya are not cheap, but good quality.

http://www.carchrome.com/

Got a quote from them to do some work once, nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price.  :wink:

Rich A
They also go by the name South Bay Chrome....same address.  They did all the chrome on my Ambo back in 2002.  Prices were good and turn around was fast.  There was only one piece I sent back for a redo.     :thumb:

I like that they have a price list to give me a good idea of cost. Seems pretty reasonable, about the same as Brown's.

I know the distance issue...  I use Oshkosh plateing for my Zink with a clear coat.  I prep the parts, drop a bucket of hardware off and it's usually done in 4-5 days.  Cost is $30.00 flat fee if it's just hardware.

I've been boxing stuff and shipping it to Ohio, Wisconsin wouldn't be any different. Been paying $50 per "minimum". Might be a good choice as long as they box carefully.

Thanks for all of the responses!
Charlie

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »
If you need any contact info let me know.  I talk to peggy.  Thx, dave.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

56Pan

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 07:26:35 AM »
It's been quite a few years since I've had any dealings with them, but they always did a good job on motorcycle parts for me.  Graves Plating, Florence, AL.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
International Chromium Plating in Providence RI does excellent work, especially exhaust system plating (they use an autoclave to purge gases that make heated chrome bubble).

Jean Fogarty and her sister, daughters of the founder, run the place and they are sharp as a tack. Inside the plant, the place is the cleanest chrome plating facility I've ever visited.

An added benefit is that nearby is the famous Federal Hill Italian section of Providence that is packed with great Italian restaurants.

Closer to me is Graves Plating in Florence AL.  I've heard great things about them for years but I've never used them.

Most plating I've done was for exhaust headers etc. and International knows how to do it.

Anyone considering plating, be aware- take a fat wallet with you.  It's expensive.

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »
Going to use these guys soon, i will post feedbacks

http://www.turnerplating.com/index.html

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
For chrome I've used Graves plating (just Google it) in Florence, Al. for 3 previous restorations. Currently have a large order there for my Velo resto. 40 yrs.+ experience. Bike and car friendly.  Don't know any zinc platers , but if what you are looking for is traditional English style genuine dull cadmium plating (practically unobtainable in this country) there is only one source I know of. Don Hutchinson has a guy that does it. Don is the Triumph paint restoration guru, blends and sells paint, does resto's and dozens of tanks a year. Will do all fasteners, axles, etc. for 1 bike for a flat $200. Hope this helps.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Charlie, chrome is a lot more expensive by the piece than zinc so chrome platers are less likely to lose an item.  Zinc plating is cheap and most who plate zinc do it by the batch and if a piece or two is missing, they don't seem to care.  I learned this in 1981 when I did a 1951 Falcone "Sport" for a friend. 

Consequently, I bought a home plating kit for zinc from Eastwood Company.  It's painfully slow, but the quality is as good as I want to take the time to make it--and I never, ever, have to worry about having a zinc plater lose a few of those irreplaceable items.  Finding them from another source is very time consuming, too. 

So, I would approach with confidence the chrome platers recommended by this board, but for zinc, consider doing it yourself.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
I've heard of Graves too. They have advertised in Hemmings for years. 
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Online Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 02:12:37 AM »
Charlie, chrome is a lot more expensive by the piece than zinc so chrome platers are less likely to lose an item.  Zinc plating is cheap and most who plate zinc do it by the batch and if a piece or two is missing, they don't seem to care.  I learned this in 1981 when I did a 1951 Falcone "Sport" for a friend. 

Consequently, I bought a home plating kit for zinc from Eastwood Company.  It's painfully slow, but the quality is as good as I want to take the time to make it--and I never, ever, have to worry about having a zinc plater lose a few of those irreplaceable items.  Finding them from another source is very time consuming, too. 

So, I would approach with confidence the chrome platers recommended by this board, but for zinc, consider doing it yourself.

Ralph

This kit from Eastwood looks really interesting. I do not know if I like the use of D batteries to power it though. I wonder if a battery tender would speed up the process?  http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-tin-zinc-electroplating-system.html
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 07:40:57 AM »
I needed some cadmium plating done on some Indian parts (most fastener on Indians up to '53 were the higher quality cad plated). There are not too many left doing low production runs of Cad due to the toxic nature, but Utah seems to be the location of most.

There are a few who do it all- copper, nickel, cad, chrome, gold, etc... Google search will help. You are going to want someone who does copper, nickel, chrome and knows how to properly do all three if your parts need it. Prep/buffing between stages is key and why quality chrome plating isn't cheap. You do get what you pay for with a quality plater.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
This kit from Eastwood looks really interesting. I do not know if I like the use of D batteries to power it though. I wonder if a battery tender would speed up the process?  http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-tin-zinc-electroplating-system.html

There are a couple guys on the HondaTwins forum that have reported good results from this kit for doing nuts, bolts, spokes, etc.

As for the D batteries, you could always use a variable regulated DC power supply set to 3 Volts.   If the kit was designed for 3 Volts, I wouldn't try to rush it with a higher voltage.    That might affect the quality of the result.   

Would you cook a good pork roast at 550 degrees to get it done faster?     The result certainly wouldn't be the same as doing it at 350.

:1: on Labrandi for Chrome.    Several of my classic car buddies have had work done there with very good results.    They aren't cheap, and have a huge wait list at times, but, if you want it done right.    As the old saying goes, you can get it done cheaply, quickly, or with excellent results, but, you can't have all three at the same time.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 08:22:50 AM »

Ralph

I have one of the Eastwood "zinc" plating kits. Basically useless, money wasted. Unless you clearcoat every single piece, it starts rusting in short order. Not to mention the time it would take to do everything (time = $$ for me). Fortunately, Loopframe hardware is plentiful, so a lost piece or two isn't the end of the world.

Digging back through my notes from a restoration project several years ago, I found a quote from Dixie Industrial Finishing Co.: http://dixiefinishing.com/ to do all of the zinc. Same cost as the one I used last time, might be worth a try.

Thanks for all of the responses, several good chromers to check out now.  :thumb:
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »
What , do you want me to call Tulsa Plating and ask them if they will chrome plate one old MC fender for you ? Geez , how about I fly to Hawaii and hand deliver the fender back to Oklahoma , free of course  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Uh....yes.  Have room and bike.  Sorry, airfare not included.  You can meet my neighbor.  He was born and raised in OK.  Escaped to KS.  Currently doing time in Hawaii till next March when he moves back to SW KS.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here