Author Topic: V7 Racer 2 seat conversion kit, better to stick with a special?  (Read 28778 times)

rotate

I'm looking for some knowledge/guidance in regards to the 2 seat conversion kit offered through Motto Guzzi on the V7 Racer (code: 886870 http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/motorcycles/v7-racer/accessories.html

I was at the dealer yesterday trying to arrange a test ride of any V7 (no easy feat in NYC) and was discussing my thoughts for the v7 racer.  The dealer advised me that the 2 seat conversion kit ruins the look of the bike by re-arranging the exhaust and getting rid of the rear cowl (if that's the word for it).  He suggested I'd be better off getting a V7 special or Stone and throwing a pair of clip ons onto the bike.  He also said the chrome on the racer is a bitch to maintain, etc.

With that being said I can't help thinking I'd rather just get a racer as it can always be converted back to stock, and I love the red frame.  Perhaps also it'll retain it's value better as it's a more limited model?  Getting two bikes it not possible for me right now, and I also do a fair amount (maybe 1/5 the time I ride) of 2 up riding so leaving a v7 Racer as a 1 seater is not an option either.

Does anyone have any pictures of a factory kit converted v7 racer or any insight into this matter?  I saw one member made his own pillion footpegs and put a different seat onto the v7 without using a kit, but let's assume my mechanical ineptitude and lack of a garage to tinker in (I park in a public garage, private spot thankfully) would make that a less practical option.  I need lego style step by step full color instructions before I'm brave enough to wrench on anything I pay for ;D.

Thanks so much for the help!

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 Racer 2 seat conversion kit, better to stick with a special?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
For some reason, he'd rather sell you a Stone/Special than a Racer, but his reasoning isn't very good.

If you put clip ons on a stone or special, you'll probably also want rearsets to complete the ergonomic shift.  I don't know what clip ons cost but it's likely that by then you're already into the cost territory of the Racer, but you still won't have the better rear shocks, which are very much worth having, imo, especially for bumpy urban riding.

Some folks here have the dual seat kit, there should be a picture coming along soon.  I think it looks fine.  Rear pegs don't change the pipe configuration.  You can switch seats in a few seconds.

Chrome tank is a little more maintenance, not a big deal if you keep on top of it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:09:20 PM by Adan »
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
Agreed. The kit adds passenger footpegs and a dual seat. The seat goes on and off in seconds. There's no change in the pipes.

Get the bike you like the best with the setup you'll ride the most. You say you ride mostly solo, like clip-ons and the red frame/chrome tank combo? The racer is a no-brainer.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

LongRanger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
Sorry for the thread bump but I agree too. I found the stock clip-on bars / non-rearset pegs on my ex-V7 Cafe Classic to be very cramped. Get the Racer and the seat kit.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »

rotate

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments everyone.  I definitely feel empowered to go for the racer.  As far as the exhaust goes, on the accessory page, Motto Guzzi says the kit "...includes a double seat and footrests kit, lowers the angle on exhaust pipes."

Very interested to see what the lower angle of the exhaust looks like. Thanks again everyone!

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »

My Racer with the V7 Classic seat. I actually like it better than the 2up seat made for the Racer. I love the look and if I want to "all 7s" with the cowl I can put my stock set-up on or remove the 7s with the stock seat. It's like having 3 different looks within minutes.

Also, you'll notice I have Arrow pipes. I did have to "tweak" the seat a bit to get it to fit properly by removing 2 of the rubber spacers so that it would engage with the lock, but it just clicks on and off now, easy peasy.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

sjohniom

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »
I went a different route with help from Dave at MotoI.    He know some brackets/footpegs from another Guzzi that would bolt on to the V7R and keep the same angle on the exhausts.   I just ordered the parts and got the dual seat seperately to create my own kit that didn't change the angle  on the exhausts.

The hanger brackets aren't quite as pretty as the originals, but I'm willing to put up with it have the passenger option.

Here's what they look like:

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
What a load!

All the Racer needs is a set of rear peg mounts from a 2010 Cafe Classic.  No "relocation" of the exhaust needed.

Then, you can buy whichever seat you want to use when you're hauling a passenger.

Easy, peasy...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
2-up on a V7, a racer eh?

HOW BIG ARE YOU (and your pillion)?

Maybe I'm not the best to compare because I really do prefer to ride solo, but I do take my daughter (and sometimes my wife too) with enough frequency that I can say I'm not a fan of how my V7 Stone feels with a passenger.

Now I'm not a small guy - a little shy of 6' and somewhere around the 225 # range, and my wife and daughter add another 120-140 # give or take, plus luggage (school backpack full of books often with my daughter, who is now almost as tall as I am) and the V7 just feels a bit taxed.

It's fine for putting down the road, but for acceleration, especially lots of stops and starts, it just doesn't feel as, uhhh, "happy".

Now I've only got 2k miles on her, and maybe she needs to loosen up some more, so that might be part of it.

But I still suspect I won't use it for 2-up all that much even if it does.

YMMV
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:22:54 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
I'd have to agree with Kev on the 2up capabilities. I'm a little guy but even so with my leggy wife it's still a short-trip joy-ride for 2 and that's it. I do change the suspension settings when my wife is on the back, and the bike handles "OK". The real reason for me keeping the 2up seat on most of the time is that I like the look and should I get caught out in the rain, the suede won't be ruined. No special mods req'd, you're dealer is mis-informed. Maybe he just can't get a Racer and wants to put you on a Stone? As far as limited production and re-sale, I don't think the Racer is a limited prod. bike, they just put a number on it. And as for resale value, your new bike's value will drop like a stone (no pun intended) just like everyone else's!

Another pic:

2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

rotate

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
2-up on a V7, a racer eh?

HOW BIG ARE YOU (and your pillion).

I definitely understand what you're saying regarding hauling power.  2 people on a vespa lx150 is no picnic but I do it fairly frequently.  I'm 5'8 130 Pounds hence my attraction to the weight and size of the v7.  You do make a good point regarding any pillion touring.  The pillion's range in size, gender, and weight.  I'm the only person in my social circle with motorized transport of any kind so It varies.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
I definitely understand what you're saying regarding hauling power.  2 people on a vespa lx150 is no picnic but I do it fairly frequently.  I'm 5'8 130 Pounds hence my attraction to the weight and size of the v7.  You do make a good point regarding any pillion touring.  The pillion's range in size, gender, and weight.  I'm the only person in my social circle with motorized transport of any kind so It varies.

Well, obviously you're familiar with the downsides (power wise) then.

And also how 2 good sized people can effect the handling of a lightweight bike.

BUT you're starting at a 100 lbs advantage so a smaller passenger might not even be noticed compared to me and a medium sized one.

Best of luck with your decision. I completely understand why you'd be drawn to the Racer.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

rotate

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted pictures.  Tonupracing, do you know the part # or website/place to find those passenger footpegs?  

So as I understand it, it seems like I can simply order a 2 seater seat from any of the v7's, get some pegs and call it a day?  I wonder why Motto Guzzi mentions exhaust relocation?  Another newbie question, if I just order the pegs and a separate seat and not the kit, will the pegs come with whatever bolts I'll need to put them on the bike?  Seems like the only reason to order the kit is to get the passenger grab handle which I wouldn't install.  Thanks again and apologies for my general lack of knowledge here.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:30:21 PM by rotate »

rotate

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
Well, obviously you're familiar with the downsides (power wise) then.

And also how 2 good sized people can effect the handling of a lightweight bike.

BUT you're starting at a 100 lbs advantage so a smaller passenger might not even be noticed compared to me and a medium sized one.

Best of luck with your decision. I completely understand why you'd be drawn to the Racer.

Thanks for the kind words and the help.

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
My dealer (Rose Farm in IL) put my "kit" together, I believe they are brackets from a 2010 Cafe with a "Special" seat sans the side brackets. Harper's MG website has part nos. and a bunch of info you should check that site out.

http://www.harpermoto.com/

Rose Farm had this whole bike set-up including aftermarket pipes so I didn't have to do any parts hunting or waiting, it was a no-brainer for me.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

guzzipete

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Rotate, do you want the dual seat because you plan ride two up? If not, all you need is the seat.

lucydad

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
Yep, I have the two up low gel seat, and a rear rack on my V7R and I think it looks superb.  PM me if you want pix.  All I need is to add rear pegs to take a passenger....get the V7R!

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 09:48:21 PM »
I'm so confused about the 2-up issues people have mentioned in this thread (not to derail).  I ride with a passenger a ton on my Stone don't feel any strain on the bike.  Obviously handling is affected some, but there's plenty of room, and plenty of power.  Id not hesitate to recommend it to someone that rides 2-up often unless they were looking for a tourer.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted pictures.  Tonupracing, do you know the part # or website/place to find those passenger footpegs?  

So as I understand it, it seems like I can simply order a 2 seater seat from any of the v7's, get some pegs and call it a day?  I wonder why Motto Guzzi mentions exhaust relocation?  Another newbie question, if I just order the pegs and a separate seat and not the kit, will the pegs come with whatever bolts I'll need to put them on the bike?  Seems like the only reason to order the kit is to get the passenger grab handle which I wouldn't install.  Thanks again and apologies for my general lack of knowledge here.

If you use V7C peg brackets, you'll be lowering the exhaust.  If you use Cafe Classic passenger peg brackets, then no problem.

Here's a 2-up pic of Red and me on the V7C we had last summer.  I'm 5'-10" and she's 5'-9".  Combined weight around 380 lbs.  We had lots of fun putting around on the thing...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:13:27 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

keithl

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
V7 racer is a cafe style bike, which is not really suited for two up riding.  Whoever is riding pillion I imagine, would
Have trouble putting their arms around the driver because of their forward lean.  I also imagine that would be real annoying for the driver with someone puloing up on them.  Ive never ridden two-up on a cafe style bike, but i cant
See it being very comfortable.

I'm so confused about the 2-up issues people have mentioned in this thread (not to derail).  I ride with a passenger a ton on my Stone don't feel any strain on the bike.  Obviously handling is affected some, but there's plenty of room, and plenty of power.  Id not hesitate to recommend it to someone that rides 2-up often unless they were looking for a tourer.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
V7 racer is a cafe style bike, which is not really suited for two up riding.  Whoever is riding pillion I imagine, would
Have trouble putting their arms around the driver because of their forward lean.  I also imagine that would be real annoying for the driver with someone puloing up on them.  Ive never ridden two-up on a cafe style bike, but i cant
See it being very comfortable.

I guess I should quit doing it.  Smile on my passenger's face has had me fooled for years, now...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

keithl

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
I guess I should quit doing it.  Smile on my passenger's face has had me fooled for years, now...

Is that considered a cafe racer?  Like i say, ive never tried it, but i know when i ride something with clip ons and
Rear sets I  wouldnt want the weight of someone else on my back.  Maybe the riding position Of the V7 isnt as aggressive As some other cafe style bikes.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »
Two up on a V7R would be fine.
When I taught my wife how to be a passenger it was on my LM3 and it felt fine.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

Combined weight?

Speeds?

Rates of acceleration?

These are all factors that might make it less than ideal for some.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
Combined weight?

Speeds?

Rates of acceleration?

These are all factors that might make it less than ideal for some.

Are you trying to get me in trouble with my girl?  ...tricking me into posting her weight online.  ;D
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Xroadie

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »
I ordered the two up seat kit for the V7 Racer from Moto Guzzi 14 months ago. I placed the order right after I ordered my bike. The two up seat kit came in last June 2012, two months before the bike did. It was the correct seat....black with the red stitching, but the "kit" was missing the foot pegs/brackets, that replace the brushed aluminum exhaust hangers. Moto Guzzi refused to just send us a set of the foot peg brackets and the dealer was forced to return the kit. The replacement kit never reappeared. While waiting for it, I was able to get a hold of a set of the foot peg brackets and standard two up seat from a V7 Classic. So at least I could take my GF for rides. (BTW...riding two up is not a problem at all, I am 6'1" and 200 lbs, and have no problem riding my 115 lb. GF)  Last July when I fitted the brackets it made it obvious that the bogus info on Moto Guzzi USA's website about changing the angle of the exhaust was BS!! I wrote to them on several occasions to try to get them to update their website....I also told them about several other mistakes on their accessory page at that time....NONE of the mistakes have been corrected!!!

Now.....14 months later...my seat kit has finally arrived....it looks awesome and is very comfortable....at least while sitting on it for two minutes just now :) I now have an extra set of foot pegs brackets as this seat is only sold as a kit, that includes the foot peg brackets and the chrome grab irons. I will not be mounting the grabs irons for three reasons....

1: they are only there if you are giving another guy a ride. My GF puts her arms around me, which is why I give her rides LOL
2: If you mount the grab irons, you will have to remove them to put the Cafe Racer Fairing single seat back on.
3: In order to mount them you have to invert the rear Bitubo's, which means the adjusters would be underneath and a pain in the ass to get to.

Anybody need any V7 Racer passenger pegs?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:00:23 PM by Xroadie »

Offline Adan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »
Anybody need any V7 Racer passenger pegs?

ping'd you 'bout 'em
V9 Bobber
Zero S

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »
This was my solution - leaves the standard machined alloy brackets in place and one bolt on either side to remove them.

Kurt

2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
My wife runs a V7R dual seat on her Classic. Comfier than the standard V7C seat. Not as soft as the standard Racer seat, but it is waterproof. Kurt.

2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

profaen

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:02 AM »
Hi,
I had the same questions as I wanted to carry a pillion. I bought the 2013 V7 racer then added the dual seat conversion. It was a simple fit.
I prefer the look of  black rear footpeg hangers to the racer ones.
I didn't fit the chrome grab rails that come with the dual kit as it required inverting the shocks and my partner likes to hang onto me when we go riding.
You have to remove the mufflers but they go straight back on with no change of angle. All up I think it took 10-15 minutes to swap over. Dead easy.
The dual seat is not quite as comfortable as the solo seat for me, but I think it will soften with time. I wasn't a huge fan of the rear cowling with the number panels so it was no loss and now its only a 2 minute job to change between solo or dual.
I'm loving the bike. I had a Ducati 900 for 20 years and the V7, while less powerful, feels smoother and less twitchy and more fun to ride. But there again I'm 20 years older and a bit more sedate in my 60's. I'm probably the demographic Moto Guzzi were aiming for!
Happy trails
Remember, the best motorbike in the worls is the one that makes you smile when you ride it.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here