Author Topic: Lurkers cafe build  (Read 29827 times)

trumps

Re: Lurkers cafe build
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »
Thanks Jim, will check it out.
Allflatblack, from memory the C-5 iggi set me back about 500us, can't recall exactly. This includes the coil pack, leads ect, doesn't come with the fancy dizzycap though, that is just a blingy bit I chucked on!

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
It's looking really good! I'm a purist when it comes to these bikes, but I can be swayed easily when I see good work being done like what you are doing; I'll be lurking on this thread!

Good job!  ;-T
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »
That's a beaut; well laid out and well executed.  Thanks for putting it up!

I remember some months back a baffle plate was mentioned as a prudent addition to an engine with a sump spacer, to keep the oil from rushing to the rear of the sump on acceleration and leaving the oil pickup sucking air.  Is that something which ought to be included in this project, or has it already been installed?
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
Have I met you on any of the triples boards?  Just wondering if I know you.  I'm "Jim" on four of them.

So who are you on the other trips forums , Bob ?  :D Oh wait , Frank  ;D

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

trumps

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Big parts win hearts.... we that is a common phrase we use at work, so i have finished rebuilding the big parts.
rebuilt the rear bevel, and transmission over the last few days, and have now got her to the roller stage, am hoping
to rewire her over the next week or so after sorting out a few other little bits and bobs.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
Doing a great job.

The round fin engines make  the prettiest customs of any of the Guzzi line.  I kick myself for not buying a similar project bike last year.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
Wow, lurk no more!

I also admire a guy who can do build like this indoors.

Rich A

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
Cheers Luthier, mate i can't speak highly enough of Pete Roper. he has been most helpful, i have spoken to him quite a few times over the last month or so and has been an invaluable source of knowledge and recommendations.
 [

I can assure you that many of us would be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle without said Vasco!

You did a lovely job on the Kaw  :drool. My brother in law had one of the early coil and points Mach 111's. I can only conclude that you must be a complete masochist  ;D loving those machines!

Enjoying your build. Doing a really nice job. ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

trumps

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
Cheers guys, It's good to be making some real progress finally. Muzz, the triple is great fun up in the hills for a blast, but is a pain in the backside to ride around town mainly due to a very heavy clutch, and having the dogs undercut on the box. Rich i am not lucky enough to have a workshop, so all my building is done in the pergola, and on my fold up card table, a rather amateur arrangment i know, but as they say ya do what ya can with what you've got available ;)
Sourdough, when i spoke to Pete i asked him about the need for the baffle plate, and he said it wasnt required, and to either run a spacer, or get the later model deep sump, I went the spacer just for the fact that it keeps the nice flat sump base which is good and steady on my bike lift jack. must say that the gear shift is so much more positive, and generally nicer since shimming the selector drum as per the Roper method, it's amazing what a difference .020'' make, can't wait to try it on the road!

trumps

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 01:23:17 AM »

So close, and yet so far...
have been ploddling along with this one, got my 3 blade Ultra-Batt battery, and fab'd up a box for it. mounts right forward on top of the trans, the box is lined with 10mm sponge rubber, and I have covered the battery it's self in insulation to minimize any heat soak it make be liable to suffer due to its location.
 fitted all the Motogadget goodies, and made up a harness for it all, i have kept the motogadget/bike functions harness seperate to the C5 ignition electrical system, and reg/rectifier system just for ase of servicability/diagnosis if there are issues down the track. everything tests fine when powered up, i have cranked it over for long enough to get oil pressure up, and checked it is getting to the top end, ignition timing has been set ready to go.
 tank, guards, headlamp bucket, and seat unit are out getting painted at the moment, and the exhaust should be on it's way from Germany as i type this. soon as i get these goodies and have them fitted i can bleed the brakes, and fire this ol girl up, not long now, should be within a month i am guessing, the waiting is doing my head in!

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »
 ;-T Trumps, great build so far!  I'm doing a similar tonti, but I can't figure out a nice complimentary rear fender.  Will you be using a rear fender?  And if so, can you give me some tips?
THANKS
Nate

trumps

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 01:57:54 AM »
Heya Nate, after a fair bit of scrounging i found a rear fender from a 1980 honda CB250T was pretty close to what suited my requirements, i shortend up the front of it, and fab'd up the inner guards out of 1/8 ali to fit my needs.
the CB guard slotted between the frame rail rear eyelets nearly perfectly from memory, i have cut about 4 inches out of the rear rails, with internal spigots, and welded the ends back on though.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 02:20:47 AM »
Heya Nate, after a fair bit of scrounging i found a rear fender from a 1980 honda CB250T was pretty close to what suited my requirements, i shortend up the front of it, and fab'd up the inner guards out of 1/8 ali to fit my needs.
the CB guard slotted between the frame rail rear eyelets nearly perfectly from memory, i have cut about 4 inches out of the rear rails, with internal spigots, and welded the ends back on though.
Awesome!  Thanks brother

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 05:42:15 AM »
Nice work.. ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline steffen

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 06:08:04 AM »
Nice work.
I love how you moved the battery, but wouldn't you need a battery plate to stiffen the chassis? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:47 AM »
Nice job Trump!  I've been working on a similar project.  Can you show us what the shift arrangement and peg looks like?
Mine is a Cal II and I'm redesigning the linkage for rearsets.  
Looks the business!

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
Man!  Nice project!  Thanks for taking all the pics as you progress.  Very cool build!
Cheers.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »

Gorgeous.  Would have been my perfect date to the senior prom in '76.

;-T

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

canuck750

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
Beautiful bike, fantastic workmanship :+1

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
That's the kind of wiring job I've always dreamed about doing .... !

Great work!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

guzzigray

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
Nice work.
I love how you moved the battery, but wouldn't you need a battery plate to stiffen the chassis? (correct me if I'm wrong)

+1

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
Love it.  Thanks for sharing this.  ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

trumps

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »

Here ya go Petrus, hope they are of some use, these are just std Agostini rear sets, I will be running them as is without the pillion hangers which usually use the same mounting points.
Steffen, Looking at the stock battery tray, and the original tabs that tied it into the frame i figured it wouldn't add a lot of rigidity any way, though am no expert, merely a backyard hack, we will soon see mate ;) cheers all!

Offline wcguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »
Very nice.

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »
Thanks Trumps!  I have to fabricate the shifting assembly and the shift arm on the transmission that came with the bike is currently too short.  I can make something as you have shown.

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
Great job on the wiring, and the rest of the build. The M-Units make wiring so easy and neat  ;-T

By the placement of the M-Switch it looks like you won't be having side covers, but you will have an awkward reach to get the fob within 40mm of the switch to power up ??   
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

trumps

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »
Double.d
Your right mate, no side covers, in practice the m-lock location isn't bad to use, will see how it works out over time, I can easily relocate if required. The 40mm activation distance is a bit optimistic I have found, the fob pretty much need to contact the lock unit for it to activate. Otherwise a very simple system to wire up, and sort out in a neat and tidy manner.

Cheers
Craig

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
Nice work.
+1

My battery plate broke and all the holes were ovalled. A lot of stress goes through there. I replaced it with a thick alloy one and bike handled much better afterwards.
May all beings be happy

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
I'm uh.. pretty sure.. ;D the battery plate is important..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here